Modeling a power as sum of combination

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i) and how it can be modeled using combinations and permutations. The solution involves a strange mutant strain of yeast cells that continuously grow in size and produce offspring, resulting in an ever-increasing population. After 12 weeks, the population can be determined using the given equation.
johnhaddad

Homework Statement

I am trying to come up with a logical explanation (using an example from real life modeled in Combination and/or Permutation) to show that 3^n = summation (from i=0 to n) of (n choose i)*(2^i). In other words, I am trying to pose a combinatorial/selection/combination question that then can be modeled as both sides of the equation.

Homework Equations

Combinations and Permutations.

The Attempt at a Solution

My trial is that 3^n could be modeled as having 3 boxes and we are placing n items in it (eg. balls). So, if we pick n=5, it is as selecting 3 balls to put in box one, then returning them, then selecting 3 balls to put in box 2, then returning..etc while the order of selection is "don't care". However, I still can't show how that translates into the right side of the equation. Any help or pointers?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a half-baked idea, see whether you can make anything of it. I have not thought it through, though, not thoroughly. :smile: (Really, I haven't.)

You have discovered a strange mutant strain of yeast cell, here's a slide specimen I prepared -> :bugeye:

Each cell continuously grows in size (diameter) during the period of your study, and on a weekly basis each cell produces a pair of tiny but reproductively-mature offspring. This means the population triples in size every week. You happen to start with an initial population of just 3 cells.

With this scenario, you behold an ever-increasing range of sizes in your yeast culture, with the original 3 always largest in diameter, followed by their first daughters comprising the 6 next largest, followed by 18 same-sized cells (being a mix of daughters and grand-daughters of the original trio), etc.

After 12 weeks, determine how many of these cells populate your laboratory. :smile:

Related to Modeling a power as sum of combination

1. How is power represented in a combination model?

Power is represented as the sum of different combinations of variables. This means that the power of a model is determined by the coefficients of each variable in the combination.

2. What is the purpose of modeling a power as a sum of combinations?

The purpose of modeling a power as a sum of combinations is to accurately represent the relationship between variables in a mathematical model. This can help in understanding the underlying patterns and predicting future outcomes.

3. What are the key components of a power combination model?

The key components of a power combination model include the variables, coefficients, and exponents. These components are used to represent the power and relationship between the variables in the model.

4. How is the power determined in a combination model?

The power in a combination model is determined by the sum of the coefficients of each variable. The exponent of each variable represents the power of that variable, and the coefficients determine the weight of each variable in the overall power.

5. What are some common applications of modeling a power as a sum of combinations?

Modeling a power as a sum of combinations is commonly used in fields such as economics, finance, and physics. It can be used to predict market trends, analyze financial data, and understand the relationship between physical variables in experiments.