Prove that there exists a graph with these points such that....

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the existence of a connected graph with n points in a square of side length 1, where the sum of edge lengths is less than or equal to 10√n. The first part suggests using the Erdös-Renyi random graph model, but it is unclear if this will be effective. The second part suggests finding a family of sets of vertices where the total edge length exceeds √n. The conversation also mentions considering the expected value of the total length of n points, but it is unclear if this will be helpful. It is suggested to start by considering a set of edges with minimum total length and how to select them.
hitemup

Homework Statement

Let us have ##n \geq 3## points in a square whose side length is ##1##. Prove that there exists a graph with these points such that ##G## is connected, and
$$\sum_{\{v_i,v_j\} \in E(G)}{|v_i - v_j|} \leq 10\sqrt{n}$$
Prove also the ##10## in the inequality can't be replaced with ##1##.

Homework Equations

These may be relevant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trave..._length_for_random_sets_of_points_in_a_square

https://math.stackexchange.com/ques...istance-between-two-random-points-in-a-square

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I should use Erdös-Renyi random graph model to prove the existence of a connected graph. In that model, if an edge appears with probability ##p##, then, for example, a particular connected graph with ##n-1## edges appear with ##p^{n-1}(1-p)^{\binom{n}{2} - (n - 1)}##. Is this enough to show a connected graph exists since this probability should be greater than zero? Regardless of this, I found proofs showing that the expected distance between two points picked on a unit square is around ##0.52##, but I think that is not useful. Should I look for the expected value of the total length of ##n## points maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
To get a bit of insight into the nature of the inequalty, I suggest starting with the second part - find a family of sets of vertices such that the total edge length to get them connected exceeds √n.

hitemup said:
I should use Erdös-Renyi random graph model to prove the existence of a connected graph.

hitemup said:
Should I look for the expected value of the total length of nnn points maybe?
I do not see how a probabilistic argument is going to work. Sets of points that make finding a suitable set of edges hard may be quite rare, and the average distance sum may bear little relationship to the minimum distance sum.

Start by considering what a set of edges of minimum total length (given the connectedness condition) would look like,

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker

Related to Prove that there exists a graph with these points such that....

1. How can you prove the existence of a graph with specific points?

To prove the existence of a graph with specific points, you would need to show that it is possible to connect all the points with lines or edges without any overlaps.

2. What is the minimum number of points needed to create a graph?

The minimum number of points needed to create a graph is two. However, for a connected graph, you need at least three points.

3. Can a graph have more than one edge between two points?

Yes, a graph can have more than one edge between two points. This is known as a multigraph.

4. How do you determine the number of edges in a graph with a given number of points?

The number of edges in a graph with a given number of points can be determined using the formula e = (n*(n-1))/2, where e is the number of edges and n is the number of points.

5. Is it possible for a graph to have no edges?

Yes, it is possible for a graph to have no edges. This type of graph is called a null graph, and it consists of only isolated points with no connections.