Michelson Interferometer, Optics Derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the exact expression for the index of refraction of a glass plate using a Michelson interferometer experiment. The optical path difference is calculated and the approximation involved is also mentioned. The final equation is given and the attempt at solving it is described. The possibility of a mistake in the second arm path is considered.
Traius

Homework Statement

Derive the exact expression for the index of refraction n of a glass plate as a function of the
fringe shift m, the plate thickness t and the angle of deflection of the plate (hint: find the
optical path difference for an incident vs a tilted incident beam, and solve for n ; don’t forget refraction inside the plate!). What approximation is involved?

The final equation I'm to get is:
n =(2t − mF)[1 − cos(C)] /[ 2t(1 − cos(C)) − mF]

F = lambda, C = alpha, not sure why the forum translated the symbols to be those symbols...

It's from a michelson interferometer experiment, using the interferometer to determine the index of refraction of a glass plate.

Homework Equations

Optical path difference = delta L = mF (?) (not sure about m*lambda, perhaps this is the source of my error?)
In one arm, light travels 2[ d1 + d2 + t]
in the other, 2[d1 + d2 +nt (the glass plate)]
But the nt part is dependent upon the angle which it enters the glass after reflecting the
mirror.
Therefore, nt = nt(cosC)

The Attempt at a Solution

delta L = 2 [ d1 + d2 + t] - 2 [ d1 + d2 + nt]
delta L = m = 2t- 2ntcosC
n = [2t - m] / 2tcosC
Obviously this is not right, but I can't figure out what is wrong with the model... I now have an idea, though, after doing this work, that perhaps my second arm path is wrong; perhaps only after bouncing off the mirror is it ntcos, and before the mirror it is nt? That would change my equations...
Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tried another idea, ended up with n = [mF +2t] / [t{1 + cos (theta)}], which is still not right...

Related to Michelson Interferometer, Optics Derivation

1. What is a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is a scientific instrument used to measure small changes in the position of objects by splitting a beam of light into two and then recombining them to create an interference pattern. It is commonly used in optics and can also be used to measure the speed of light.

2. How does a Michelson Interferometer work?

The Michelson Interferometer works by splitting a beam of light into two paths using a half-silvered mirror. These two beams then travel to two mirrors at the end of each path, where they are reflected back towards the half-silvered mirror. The two beams are then recombined and create an interference pattern, which can be used to measure changes in the position of objects.

3. What is the purpose of using a Michelson Interferometer?

The main purpose of using a Michelson Interferometer is to measure small changes in the position of objects with high precision. It is commonly used in optics research, such as measuring the wavelength of light or the index of refraction of a material. It can also be used in other fields, such as astrophysics, to measure the distance and movement of stars and other celestial objects.

4. Can the Michelson Interferometer be used for other types of waves besides light?

Yes, the Michelson Interferometer can also be used to measure other types of waves, such as radio waves and sound waves. In fact, it was originally designed to measure the speed of light, but has since been adapted for use with other types of waves.

5. Is there a mathematical derivation for the optics of the Michelson Interferometer?

Yes, there is a mathematical derivation for the optics of the Michelson Interferometer, which involves principles of wave interference and optics. This derivation can be found in many optics textbooks and online resources. It is important for scientists and researchers to understand the underlying principles and equations behind the instrument in order to accurately interpret and analyze the results obtained from a Michelson Interferometer.