How does the Michelson Interferometer Affect Light Intensity?

• Thread starter Synetos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Optics
In summary, the intensity of the light that hits the detector in a michelson interferometer with two arms is calculated by taking the square of the root of the intensity of the light that enters (I0) and multiplying it by 0.96.
Synetos

Homework Statement

So I'm studying for my optics exam and some stuff that I find is quite odd and I can't find an explenation in the book.

So the question states that you have a michelson interferometer with two arms, that splits the light at 60% (so the first mirror reflects 40%)
The other two mirrors at the end of the arm (M1 and M2) reflect 100%
The intensity of the light that enters is I0 and the wavelength is 550nm

Homework Equations

Now I need to express the max and min Intensity that hits the detector.

The Attempt at a Solution

the answer states:
E1 = sqr(0.6)*sqr(0.4)E0
I = (2E1)²I0 = 0.96I0
But why do you take the roots of those numbers and why do you square it afterwards?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you take the root of the numbers because this is based on the intensity of the light. The intensity of the light that hits the first mirror is 0.6, so the root of 0.6 would be the intensity of the light that is reflected back. Similarly, the root of 0.4 would be the intensity of the light that is transmitted. Squaring this number gives you the total intensity of the light that hits the detector.

Related to How does the Michelson Interferometer Affect Light Intensity?

1. What is an interferometer?

An interferometer is a scientific instrument that uses the principle of light interference to measure the properties of light, such as wavelength and intensity. It works by splitting a beam of light and then recombining it to create an interference pattern, which can be analyzed to gather information about the light.

2. How does an interferometer work?

An interferometer works by separating a beam of light into two or more paths and then recombining the beams at a detector. The resulting interference pattern is created by the overlapping of the light waves, which can be used to measure properties of the light such as phase, intensity, and polarization.

3. What are the applications of interferometers?

Interferometers have a wide range of applications in various fields such as astronomy, metrology, remote sensing, and telecommunications. They are used to measure distances, detect gravitational waves, analyze surfaces, and test the quality of optical components, among others.

4. What are the different types of interferometers?

There are several types of interferometers, including Michelson, Mach-Zehnder, Fabry-Perot, and Sagnac. These differ in their setup and use, but all work based on the principle of light interference. Each type has its own advantages and is used for specific applications.

5. What are the advantages of using an interferometer?

Interferometers offer several advantages, including high precision, non-destructive testing, and the ability to measure multiple properties of light simultaneously. They also have a wide range of applications and can be used for both research and industrial purposes.