Michelson Interferometer question

In summary, a Michelson interferometer is used to measure the path length of monochromatic light of wavelength 589 nm in a vacuum. The distances between the moving mirror and the beam splitter and the fixed mirror and the beam splitter are equal. A parallel-sided object with a refractive index of 1.4900 and a length of 1.2 cm is placed between the fixed mirror and the beam splitter. The path length of the interposed material can be calculated, as well as the wavelength of the light in the interposed material. Further calculations can be done to determine the change in the optical path length of the fixed arm and the required dimension of a parallel-sided object with a refractive index of 1.6618
jader

Homework Statement

A Michelson interferometer is operated in a vacuum, using monochromatic
light of wavelength 589 nm. The interferometer is set up so that the distances
between the moving mirror and the beam splitter and the fixed mirror and the
beam splitter are equal. A parallel-sided object 1.2 cm in length and refractive
index 1.4900 is then placed between the fixed mirror and the beam splitter.
i)Calculate the path length of the interposed material.
ii)What is the wavelength of the light in the interposed material
iii)What is the change in the optical path length of the fixed arm that results?
iv)What would be the required dimension of a parallel sided object of refractive index 1.6618 placed between the moving mirror and the beam splitter to ensure that both arms had the same optical path length?

Homework Equations

I don't understand what iii) and iv) are asking. What are the arms?

The Attempt at a Solution

r1=1.2cm
λ=589x10^-9m
n1=1.4900
I think I can do i) and ii)
I have reasonable answers for them now :)

I'm so confused

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, thanks. :)
I'm still not sure how to go about this... I can't find any equations with Lf and Lm in, except: Optical Path Difference = 2Lm - 2Lf

Related to Michelson Interferometer question

1. What is a Michelson Interferometer?

A Michelson Interferometer is an optical instrument used in physics and engineering to measure the wavelength of light, or to determine the index of refraction of a material.

2. How does a Michelson Interferometer work?

The instrument works by splitting a beam of light into two paths using a partially reflective mirror. The two beams are then recombined and interfere with each other, producing a pattern of bright and dark fringes that can be analyzed to gather information about the light source or the material through which it passes.

3. What is the difference between a Michelson Interferometer and a Fabry-Perot Interferometer?

While both interferometers operate on the principle of interference of light, a Fabry-Perot Interferometer uses multiple reflections between two mirrors to create interference patterns, while a Michelson Interferometer uses a single reflection and recombination of the beams.

4. What are some applications of Michelson Interferometers?

Michelson Interferometers have various applications in science and engineering, including measuring the speed of light, determining the refractive index of materials, detecting gravitational waves, and studying the properties of atomic and molecular gases.

5. Who is Albert Michelson and why is the instrument named after him?

Albert Michelson was an American physicist who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1907 for his work on measuring the speed of light. He also designed and constructed the first Michelson Interferometer, which was used in his experiments. The instrument was named after him as a tribute to his contributions to the field of optics and interferometry.