Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MHB logo contest!

Jan 31, 2012
Hello, Friends!

An idea that came to me:

We need a new logo for our new site, perhaps we should do some mini-competition:

Every willing soul in this site will upload a wanted logo that he\she created by himself or by others,- more art-gifted than him\her.

The 3 most "thanked" logos will be at final. At the last stage, the moderators will choose for us. :) (d)(Drunk)

What you are saying about that?

sbhatnagar

Jan 27, 2012
I designed this using photoshop. I am not sure if this is good enough.

test4.jpg

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I think it looks really good! With a few tweaks I would definitely use it. Just for everyone to know, I also have hired a very inexpensive graphic artist to submit a logo so I'll post that when I get it.

skoker

Feb 2, 2012
here is my entry. i tried to keep it graphic. the background color is of course arbitrary.

just so you know i could not link an image. it gives an error my post count is zero and i can not post links!

wtf! i can not even write a link to the image! here is the full res image the board upload shrinks it down.
you have to put the h tee tee pee. in front as the board will not even let me post text of the link (Envy)

postimage.org/image/qs4r3vv47/

Attachments

Last edited:

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I designed this using photoshop. I am not sure if this is good enough.

View attachment 14
I like the main color scheme and it looks pretty, but there's just one thing I don't really like about it -- there's too much going on in the background for my liking. I too will try and submit something in the next couple days; it will incorporate a famous "fractal" (not the Sierpinski Triangle as in the MHF logo)... (Nod)

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Ok here is the logo I paid for. I think it looks decent, except for the symbols are too elementary. Let's combine sbhatnagar's graphic with this maybe?

mathhelp.jpg

Click on picture for full size.

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
here is my entry. i tried to keep it graphic. the background color is of course arbitrary.

just so you know i could not link an image. it gives an error my post count is zero and i can not post links!

wtf! i can not even write a link to the image! here is the full res image the board upload shrinks it down.
you have to put the h tee tee pee. in front as the board will not even let me post text of the link (Envy)

I like the second one a lot but the color could be changed. Maybe incorporate a few colors?

skoker

Feb 2, 2012
thanks, i like the matrix one also. that is just a quick mockup of the logo. i could do a few versions perhaps. if you can post a few changes you might like. and something about the theme, design your thinking about. that would make it much easier.

my idea was to keep it graphic and simple, somber. like a math equation. with a bit of classic feel to it. but i think the design could go any style because it is simple.

i see your logo is very webie and exciteing. caffeinated with a school feel.

any thoughts? if you like the style of your logo i could also do a version in that style. it is quite simple to copy really.

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Sure, go for it! I think we just need to play around with these ideas and somehow combine them nicely. I would try myself but I'm useless when it comes to graphics design unfortunately.

EDIT: Ok for some concrete changes... can you use the logo I uploaded plus some more advanced mathematical graphics? I think that pluses and minuses make the site seem too basic. The colors could be better suited for our forum style as well. I like the idea of having the whole bar being part of the graphic, not just the upper left-hand corner.

Last edited:

skoker

Feb 2, 2012
Jameson

hmm. well if you like that logo and you just want to change the math symbols then you should pick out what symbols you would like and I or perhaps sbhatnagar could chang it for you, i see he is quite able with the photoshop also. as far as changing the logo to fill the full navi bar or other big changes that might be rather hard. the logo is a finished polished piece. and it works for what it is. to try and make some major changes at this point would be quite risky and perhaps time consuming depending on on what sort of image files the designer gave you. but it is a nice logo and if you like it and just want to change the symbols that's an easy fix.

edit--------

altho if you want to change background color of your logo and fill the navi bar with that color so it all looks like one big block. that could be quite easy to do also. but you would probably have to get rid of the reflections at the bottom of the logo. imo not a bad thing design wise ;)

Last edited:

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Jameson

altho if you want to change background color of your logo and fill the navi bar with that color so it all looks like one big block. that could be quite easy to do also. but you would probably have to get rid of the reflections at the bottom of the logo. imo not a bad thing design wise ;)
That's exactly what I meant. It's not really important to me which symbols are used I just want something beyond grade school mathematics. What if we use the logo I uploaded today and put it in the left corner, fill in the whole bar with a solid color as well as various math symbols?

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2012
I want to suggest something, it will very nice and very serious logo(of a serious forum) if we add to our logo some Latin phrase...
An examples:

"Nutrimentum spiritus" (“food for the soul“)

"Cogito ergo sum"

"In Lumine Tuo Videbimus Lumen" ("In Your Light I See Light")

"Labor Lætitia Nostra" ("Work is our joy")

One more, in Hungarian,"A tudás közössége" ("The community of knowledge.")

skoker

Feb 2, 2012
That's exactly what I meant....
ok i see, yes that is not so much to do. i would be willing to change the math symbols and change the background color.
here is a little check list of what you need to do.

1) post all the original files that the graphic designer gave you. if there is a (photoshop) .psd image that would be perfect. or what ever files he gave you. editing the source document would be the best way to make changes.

2) go to this web site colorpicker.com and you will see a color picker with a number at the top for each color you pick. pick out 3 or 4 colors you like for the background. copy the numbers down and post them along with the image files :cool:.

3) get 5 math symbols that YOU really like and want on the logo. you could pick a few extra also. but you really need to be the one to pick out the symbols. the reason we make the changes is that the designer did not read your intention. lets get the symbols you feel are the right symbols the first time and its done! also you know far more math symbos then i do (Nerd) so you can make the expert choice. you can post them in latex along with your color numbers if you like.

if you can get those things then it should be quick to do the changes. I will of course have some fun with it and post a few versions with the different colors in the same format as i post my design and upload the master image files for you to put into the web site.

also you need to figure out how big this image banner needs to be in pixels. i am not sure how your web forum deals with these images.
my banner is 75 pixels vertical for reference. if you want the color to stretch across the width of the navi that is a code/admin tasks to figure out.

Last edited:

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
logo.jpg

Just a suggestion, following Chris LT's idea of a fractal theme. Depending on the size of the graphic, it would probably be better just to have the initials MHB rather than the full title. (For some reason, the attachment is only appearing as a thumbnail here, so the title is barely legible anyway.)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012

You should be able to post the full image now. Can you post the blue one? I think I would like to use it for now.