Measuring linear velocity of a toy car

In summary, you could measure the linear velocity of a toy car using 2 LEDs, 2 Phototransistors, a dual Op-amp configured as 2 comparators and a 3.5mm mini jack and a bit of audio cable to go into your computer's Audio In. The total cost - less than 5 dollars.
sanketdy
I want to measure the linear velocity of a toy car.. i had a thought over it..
i m thinking of using a optical mouse to do so , i need to process the usb output , how shud i do it ?.. and can there be any other cheap way of doing it..?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could do it accurately and cheaply using 2 LEDs, 2 Phototransistors, a dual Op-amp configured as 2 comparators and a 3.5mm mini jack and a bit of audio cable to go into your computer's Audio In.

Point an LED at a Phototransistor at the part of the car's run where you want the test to start and put the other one a little way ahead of it. Set the car running and use a sound recorder to sample the clicks made by the comparators as they trigger at the breaking and remaking of each of the LED beams. Look for the start of each event and record the time. Then look for the end of each event and record the times as accurately as you can.

Add the times together (front of car goes past each LED, back of car goes past each LED) and divide by two to get the average.

Measure the distance between the LEDs as accurately as you can.

The linear velocity of the car is the distance traveled divided by the time taken.

Total cost - less than 5 dollars.

Have fun.

i basically want to measure its speed with a independent system mounted on the car.. i want to get the velocity at every instant which is required for further processing of my algorithm...
so using the led system every time won't do..

What ever happened to the way that we used to do it, with a stopwatch and a ruler?

i was thinking of using a GPS module...but i need some other methods as GPS is costly

Related to Measuring linear velocity of a toy car

1. How is linear velocity measured?

Linear velocity is measured by dividing the distance traveled by an object by the time it took to travel that distance. This gives the average speed of the object in a straight line.

2. What units are used to measure linear velocity?

The most common units used to measure linear velocity are meters per second (m/s) and kilometers per hour (km/h). However, other units like feet per second (ft/s) and miles per hour (mph) can also be used.

3. Can linear velocity change?

Yes, linear velocity can change if the speed or direction of the object changes. For example, if a toy car starts at rest and then speeds up, its linear velocity will increase.

4. How is linear velocity different from angular velocity?

Linear velocity measures the speed of an object in a straight line, while angular velocity measures the speed at which an object is spinning or rotating around an axis.

5. How can linear velocity be calculated for a curved path?

In order to calculate linear velocity for a curved path, the distance traveled and time taken must be measured at several points along the path. Then, the average speed can be calculated for each segment and the results can be combined to find the overall linear velocity for the curved path.