Final Velocity of a car with a opposing decreasing drag force

vbottas said:
Perfect. :smile: Now integrate both sides of the equation. (This will involve two integrals, one on each side of the equation.)

Physics news on Phys.org
vbottas said:
should I plug in known values to the left side?
Always try to work in variables till the end. Calculate as last step.

Likes collinsmark
erobz said:
Alway try to work in variables till the end.
ok! I was just worried taking the integral this many constants labeled as letters may get a bit confusing. But I'll trust you on this!

vbottas said:
ok! I was just worried taking the integral this many constants labeled as letters may get a bit confusing. But I'll trust you on this!
The constants come outside the integral.

Likes vbottas
collinsmark said:
Perfect. :smile: Now integrate both sides of the equation. (This will involve two integrals, one on each side of the equation.)
the bounds on the left side is 0 to 45 correct? what would my right side bounds be?

vbottas said:
the bounds on the left side is 0 to 45 correct? what would my left side bounds be?
Well, you're integrating over velocity, right? How about [itex] v_f [/itex] and [itex] v_0 [/itex]?

Likes erobz and vbottas
vbottas said:
the bounds on the left side is 0 to 45 correct? what would my left side bounds be?
One is the speed you began with, the other is variable (final velocity) leave these all variable names though. You can integrate on the left from ##x_o## to ##x_f##, and as was mentioned ##v_o## to ##v_f## on the RHS.

Likes vbottas and collinsmark
image0 (26).jpeg

Likes erobz
FTC time?

vbottas said:
So far so good, except you left out the [itex] A [/itex] by accident somewhere along the line. But yes, that's the right idea.

Next step is algebra. Solve for [itex] v_f [/itex].

Likes vbottas
Now use log rules and solve for ##v_f##

Likes vbottas and collinsmark
image0 (27).jpeg

vbottas said:
Keep simplifying. Log rules on the RHS to group those terms, then exponentiate each side.

Likes collinsmark
erobz said:
Keep simplifying
I can turn the rhs to ln(vf/vi) but that is the only simplificiation I see? Do you agree?

vbottas said:
I can turn the rhs to ln(vf/vi) but that is the only simplificiation I see? Do you agree?
Next. exponentiation of each side.

Likes collinsmark and vbottas
vbottas said:
Try taking both sides of the equation to the power of e. (I.e., exponentiate each side)

Likes vbottas
collinsmark said:
Try taking both sides of the equation to the power of e. (I.e., exponentiate each side)
oh boy its been awhile since i've done this. the rhs ln disappears leaving just vf/vi. but for the left side, does all of the left side become the exponent for e?

vbottas said:
oh boy its been awhile since i've done this. the rhs ln disappears leaving just vf/vi. but for the left side, does all of the left side become the exponent for e?
Yes.

image0 (28).jpeg

Likes collinsmark
seems like it's plug in time and thats it!

Wow. thank you so much. both of you, for your time and patience through this problem. I truly appreciate it. I could have hired a tutor and still wouldn't have recieved such great step by step help. Have a great rest of your day, yall deserve it! Take it easy!

Likes Lnewqban, PeroK, erobz and 1 other person