Can the Same Formula for Activated Carbon Be Used for HCL Limelayer Filtration?

In summary, the conversation is about designing a filter system for a cremation process. The fluegas contains toxic substances such as mercury, PCDD/PCDF, HCL, and NOx. The speaker plans to use activated carbon for filtering mercury and dioxin, and limelayer for HCL. They have researched and found a formula for calculating the minimum amount of activated carbon needed for filtering mercury. They are now seeking help in determining if the same formula can be used for the reaction between HCL and lime, and where to find more information on this topic.
Billyjoel
Dear Sir/Madam,

Im in my final internship for my bachelor mechanical enginering. And i have to design the filter system of a cremation proces. The fluegas is filled with toxic concentrations. Such as mercury, PCDD/PCDF, HCL, NOx

The mercury and dioxine i will filter using activated carbon , fixed bed.

And for the HCL i want to use limelayer. (also fixed bed). I did a lot of research but i can not find out how to calculate the minimum amount i need.

With activated carbon i can use the formule:

contact time (s) = Beddept (m) / Linear velocity (m/s)

Linear velocity = Flow / surface

For activated carbon to filter mercury i need at least 3 sec contact time and a linear velocity between 5 and 40 cm/s.

Now my question: can i use the same formule for the reaction between HCL and lime?
And what is the contact time? linear velocity?

Or can anybody help me where i can find the information on how to calculate with this.

Thanks,

Joel

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suggest you post this in the "Chemistry" forum.

Related to Can the Same Formula for Activated Carbon Be Used for HCL Limelayer Filtration?

1. What is the purpose of filtering HCL with limelayers?

The purpose of filtering HCL (hydrochloric acid) with limelayers is to remove impurities and other unwanted substances from the acid solution. This process is commonly used in the purification of HCL for laboratory and industrial purposes.

2. How does filtering HCL with limelayers work?

The limelayers, or lime particles, act as a physical barrier that traps impurities and other particles as the HCL solution passes through. The limelayers also have a chemical reaction with the acid, neutralizing any remaining impurities.

3. What equipment is needed for filtering HCL with limelayers?

To filter HCL with limelayers, you will need a filtration setup with a filter flask, filter paper, and a vacuum pump or suction flask. You will also need limelayers, which can be purchased or made by mixing calcium hydroxide with water.

4. How do you prepare limelayers for filtering HCL?

To prepare limelayers, mix calcium hydroxide (also known as slaked lime) with water until it forms a paste. Then, spread the paste onto a filter paper and let it dry. Once dry, you can cut the filter paper into small pieces to use as limelayers for filtering HCL.

5. Is it safe to filter HCL with limelayers?

Yes, it is safe to filter HCL with limelayers as long as proper safety precautions are taken. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and following proper handling and disposal procedures for HCL and the used limelayers.