Selective Incident Headlight Intensity Measurement

In summary: Mount the sensor at one end of the tube to restrict its field of view. Depending on the sensor size you can use anything from a cardboard core from a roll of toilet paper to a straw or a piece of plastic pipe. Change the length to change the field of view.
Rian199
Hey guys,
I am trying to come up with an idea to measure incident intensity of headlights from an oncoming car for one of my uni projects. This wasn't specifically assigned project topic, we get to choose what we want to do. It's my Instrument and Measurement unit, and I had this idea thought it would have an interesting application considering how many times I have driven on the freeway and just got completely blinded by an oncoming (or following) car. We've learned of different methods of measurement like an LDR (Photoresistor) in a voltage divider and calibrating a micro controller to give you readings in Lux. But I was wondering how one could roughly go about measuring a specific car's headlight by pointing the device at it and filtering out some of the other light 'noise' so to speak? I'm thinking something akin to a pinhole camera, sort-off? Any Suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
there are so many ways to do it.
Yes, one way is to use a pinhole or just a hole to limit the incoming light from one direction only. The drawback is that you will get very little light on your detector this way.
Another way is use a lens and place the detector at the focal point. You will be collecting all the light hitting the lens aperture (read something about photography, aperture setting, etc.)
Another way is to use a camera and some software to process the image and pick the maximum intensity of the light.
One note of caution. The sensitivity of a typical detector or a camera depends on the wavelength of light in a manner that is different from the human eye response and you would need to use a filter to bring the detector response close to the photopic curve.

Mount the sensor at one end of a tube to restrict its field of view. Depending on the sensor size you can use anything from a cardboard core from a roll of toilet paper to a straw or a piece of plastic pipe. Change the length to change the field of view.

Likes jim hardy
You would do the world a favor if you'd measure spectral content.

HID and short wave LED make wavelengths known harmful to the eye yet automakers and aftermarket suppliers continue to pump out "El Blasto" equipment as advertisers brag about their ability to illuminate the countryside along both sides of the road."Xenon Headlamps - the weak man's imitation of strength". It's on account of them I wear sunglasses when driving at night. I've complained to my congressman, to Ford Motor company, and to National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the spectral content and preposterous intensity of modern headlamps.

Anyhow, back on topic - a non reflective tube with receiver at one end should work for you.

Related to Selective Incident Headlight Intensity Measurement

1. What is Selective Incident Headlight Intensity Measurement (SIHIM)?

Selective Incident Headlight Intensity Measurement (SIHIM) is a method used to measure the brightness of vehicle headlights. It involves shining a light on the headlight and measuring the intensity of the light reflected back.

2. How is SIHIM different from other methods of measuring headlight intensity?

SIHIM is different from other methods because it takes into account the angle at which the light is reflected. This allows for a more accurate measurement of the headlight's brightness.

3. What types of vehicles can SIHIM be used for?

SIHIM can be used for all types of vehicles, including cars, trucks, motorcycles, and bicycles. It can also be used for both new and older models.

4. Why is measuring headlight intensity important?

Measuring headlight intensity is important because it ensures that vehicles are using headlights that are bright enough to provide adequate visibility for drivers, but not so bright that they blind other drivers on the road.

5. How is SIHIM data used in the automotive industry?

The data collected from SIHIM is used by car manufacturers to ensure that their vehicles meet safety standards for headlight brightness. It is also used by regulatory agencies to enforce headlight regulations and by consumer organizations to provide information to the public about the safety and performance of different vehicle models.