Maximum distance ahead of trooper reached by red car

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Maximum
In summary: The question makes no sense as it stands.In summary, the trooper is moving south on the freeway at 21 m/s and a red car passes him at 28 m/s. The trooper then begins to accelerate at a rate of 2 m/s^2. Using kinematic formulas, it can be calculated that the maximum distance ahead of the trooper that is reached by the red car is 12.25 m. There may be an error in the problem as the given answer of 16 m does not match the calculations.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A trooper is moving due south along the freeway at a velocity speed of 21 m/s. At time t= 0, a red car passes the trooper. The red car moves with constant velocity 28 m/s. At the instant the troopers car is passed, the trooper begins to speed up at a constant rate of 2 m/s^2. What is the maximum distance ahead of the trooper that is reached by the red car?

Homework Equations

[itex] V_ox + a_xt = V_x
\Delta x = (1/2) (V_{ox} + V_x)(t)
\Delta x = V_{ox}t + (1/2)a_xt^2 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I attempted to make a graph where I manually calculated the difference.

my algorithm for troopers meters from origin goes as follows:
use [itex] V_ox + a_xt = V_x [/itex] to calculate V_x, then use

[itex]\Delta x = (1/2) (V_{ox} + V_x)(t) [/itex] to calculate meters from origin

so for example, for 2 seconds after start, I would use

[itex] V_ox + a_xt = V_x [/itex] and plug in: [itex] 21 m/s + 2 m/s^2 (2 s) = V_x = 25 m/s [/itex]

now using 25 m/s for V_x use [itex]\Delta x = (1/2) (V_{ox} + V_x)(t) [/itex] to calculate meters from origin..

[itex] \Delta x = (1/2) (25 m/s + 21 m/s) (2 s) = 46 m [/itex]

using this same formula for the rest of my graph, my graph goes as follows:

r.c = red car's meters from origin, t = trooper's meters from origin d = difference
1 s, rc= 28m, t =22m, d =6m
2 s, rc = 56m, t= 46m, d= 10 m
3 s, rc = 84m, t= 72m, d = 12 m
4 s, rc = 112m, t = 100m, d= 12m
5 s, rc = 140m, t = 130m, d = 10 m

I saw the difference already got smaller after 5s so I calculated 3.5 s because its between 3 and 4s
3.5 s, rc = 98 m, t = 85.75 m, d = 12.25 m

so my answer is the max distance the red car will be away from the trooper will be 12.25 m

Now using another method,

[itex] \Delta x_{r.c} = 28 x
\Delta x_{t} = (1/2)(42x+2x^2)
difference formula = 7x-x^2 [/itex]

I take the derivative of difference formula and = to zero, this gives me a time of 7/2 seconds. Plugging back into the difference formula, and I get 12.25 m, I put 7/2 seconds in [itex] \Delta x_{r.c} and \Delta x_t [/itex] and subtract and still get 12.25 m,

BUT my book says the answer is 16 meters.

I can see why I got the same answer using both methods, because I used the same kinematic equations, but maybe I'm not suppose to do it this way? Does anyone see where I failed?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think your answer is correct. I don't see any mistake in your working.

cnh1995 said:
I think your answer is correct. I don't see any mistake in your working.

Thanks for the reassurance mate.. just looking for another response or two to make sure I didn't overlook anything..

Rijad Hadzic said:
Thanks for the reassurance mate.. just looking for another response or two to make sure I didn't overlook anything..
I confirm 12.25m, but would like to show you an easier way.
Thinking of it in the red car's reference frame, at time zero the police car was moving away from it at 7m/s, decelerating at 2m/s2. The max distance will be when that relative speed is zero.
Using the equation v2=u2+2as, 72=0+2(2)s, s=12.25m.

Likes cnh1995
haruspex said:
I confirm 12.25m, but would like to show you an easier way.
Thinking of it in the red car's reference frame, at time zero the police car was moving away from it at 7m/s, decelerating at 2m/s2. The max distance will be when that relative speed is zero.
Using the equation v2=u2+2as, 72=0+2(2)s, s=12.25m.
Thanks man. You always know how to make things simple as possible.

Rijad Hadzic said:
Thanks man. You always know how to make things simple as possible.
By the way, 16m would have been the right answer if the initial speeds had differed by 8m/s instead of 7.

haruspex said:
By the way, 16m would have been the right answer if the initial speeds had differed by 8m/s instead of 7.

So do you still think the answer is 12.25 m ?

The values are correct, 21 m/s, and 28 m/s.

The problem is making me think that when they say "passes," they mean he was already a head an x amount of miles?

Rijad Hadzic said:
So do you still think the answer is 12.25 m ?
The answer to the problem as given, yes.
Rijad Hadzic said:
The values are correct, 21 m/s, and 28 m/s.
Ok, thanks for checking.
Rijad Hadzic said:
The problem is making me think that when they say "passes," they mean he was already a head an x amount of miles?
No, it is definitely a mistake in the book. I think it was intended to specify either 20m/s and 28m/s, or 21m/s and 29m/s.

Related to Maximum distance ahead of trooper reached by red car

1. What is the purpose of measuring the maximum distance ahead of a trooper reached by a red car?

The purpose of measuring the maximum distance ahead of a trooper reached by a red car is to determine the speed and distance capabilities of the vehicle. This information can be used for safety and performance evaluations, as well as to compare against other vehicles.

2. How is the maximum distance ahead of a trooper reached by a red car measured?

This measurement is typically done using a radar gun or LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) device, which can accurately capture the speed and distance of a moving vehicle. The trooper will aim the device at the red car and record the maximum distance reached before the car passes by.

3. What factors can affect the maximum distance reached by a red car?

The maximum distance reached by a red car can be affected by several factors, such as the speed and acceleration of the car, road conditions, weather conditions, and the performance of the vehicle. Other factors such as traffic and obstacles on the road can also impact the distance reached.

4. Why is it important to measure the maximum distance ahead of a trooper reached by a red car?

Measuring the maximum distance ahead of a trooper reached by a red car is important for ensuring the safety of drivers and passengers on the road. It can also provide valuable information for law enforcement and car manufacturers to improve vehicle performance and safety features.

5. How can the data from measuring the maximum distance ahead of a trooper reached by a red car be used?

The data obtained from measuring the maximum distance ahead of a trooper reached by a red car can be used for various purposes. Law enforcement can use it to enforce speed limits and identify reckless drivers. Car manufacturers can use it to improve the design and performance of their vehicles. It can also be used for research and statistical analysis of vehicle safety and traffic patterns.