Projectile-car system and momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses using momentum to solve a problem involving a rocket and a car. The individual has found the x-velocity of the projectile and has calculated the car's velocity to be 0.866 m/s, but the given solution states the car's velocity should be 11.5 m/s. The individual is unsure of where the mistake could be and the other person in the conversation does not have an answer either. However, they mention that 11.5 m/s could be the time it takes the car to move 10 meters.
Kolika28
Homework Statement
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. When it comes to this problem
Relevant Equations
Moment=velocity*mass
1591358454531.png

I have done question 1. But I'm struggling with the other one. So since the only thing I know about the rocket is the mass and the velocity, I guess I have to use momentum to solve this problem. From the first question, I found out that the x-velocity of the projectile is ##v_x=5 m/s*cos(30)=4,33 m/s##. I assume that the momentum of the projectile and the car is 0 before launching the projectile. So ##0=m_{projectile}*v_{projectile}+m_{car}*v_{car}=4,33m/s*1kg-5kg*v_{car}##. Then I get that ##v_{car}=0,866 m/s##. But in the solution I'm given the answer should be ##11,5 m/s##. What I'm a doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, momentum is the way to solve it, and I got the same answer you did.
No idea where the book's answer is coming from. It has the more massive car moving faster than the projectile it fired, which violates horizontal momentum conservation.

11,5 is how many seconds it takes that car to move 10 meters, if that's any help.

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban and Kolika28
Halc said:
Yes, momentum is the way to solve it, and I got the same answer you did.
No idea where the book's answer is coming from. It has the more massive car moving faster than the projectile it fired, which violates horizontal momentum conservation.
Thank you so much for the answer. I don't know either what's wrong with the solution. But it is good to know that I'm right at least. Thank you again!

Related to Projectile-car system and momentum

1. What is a projectile-car system?

A projectile-car system is a physics concept that involves a car moving at a constant velocity while a projectile, such as a ball, is launched from the car. The car and the projectile are considered as a single system, and their motion is affected by the principles of momentum and energy.

2. How is momentum related to a projectile-car system?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In a projectile-car system, the momentum of the car and the projectile are conserved, meaning that the total momentum before and after the launch remains the same. This principle is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

3. What factors affect the momentum of a projectile-car system?

The momentum of a projectile-car system is affected by the mass and velocity of both the car and the projectile. Increasing the mass or velocity of either the car or the projectile will result in a higher momentum. Additionally, the angle and direction of the launch can also affect the momentum of the system.

4. How does the concept of impulse apply to a projectile-car system?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object and is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time it is applied. In a projectile-car system, the force of the launch causes a change in the momentum of the car and the projectile. The longer the force is applied, the greater the impulse and the greater the change in momentum.

5. Can the momentum of a projectile-car system be calculated?

Yes, the momentum of a projectile-car system can be calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. The total momentum of the system can be calculated by adding the individual momentums of the car and the projectile, taking into account their respective masses and velocities.