Find the distance over which the skater will move

• Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a skater of mass m throwing a stone of mass M with speed v on a horizontal surface. The distance over which the skater will move in the opposite direction is determined by the coefficient of kinetic friction between the skater and the ice, which is represented by mk. The conversation includes equations such as V_{0x} + a_xt = V_x and F=ma to solve for this distance. The direction of friction and the choice of positive and negative directions are also discussed.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A skater of mass m standing on ice throws stone of mass M with speed v in a horizontal direction. Find the distance over which the skater will move in the opposite direction if the coeffecient of kinetic friction between the ice and the skater is mk

Homework Equations

[itex]V_{0x} + a_xt = V_x [/itex]
[itex]\Delta x = (1/2)(V_{0x} + V_x)t[/itex]
[itex] \Delta x = V_{0x}t + (1/2)a_xt^2[/itex]
[itex] \Delta x = V_xt - (1/2)a_xt^2 [/itex]
[itex] V_x^2 = V_{0x}^2 + 2a\Delta x [/itex]
[itex] F= ma [/itex]
[itex]P_{initial} = P_{final} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Ok, so using the last eq, P_i = P_f.

The initial P = 0, so P_f = 0 as well.

Well momentum for the stone = [itex] Mv [/itex], thus [itex] mv_{skater} = Mv [/itex]

to make momentum = 0 again.

So now I know
[itex] v_{skater} = (Mv)/m [/itex]

Using
[itex]\Delta x = (1/2)(V_{0x} + V_x)t[/itex]

I get

[itex] \Delta x = (1/2)(Mv/m)t [/itex]

using
[itex] \Delta x = V_{0x}t + (1/2)a_xt^2[/itex]

I get

[itex] \Delta x = (1/2)a_xt^2 [/itex]

Setting the two [itex] \Delta x [/itex] = to each other I get

[itex](1/2)a_xt^2 = (1/2)(Mv/m)t [/itex]

[itex] a_xt = (Mv/m) [/itex]
[itex] t = (Mv/a_xm)[/itex]

Now I plug t back into: [itex] (Mv/2m)t [/itex]

[itex] (M^2v^2)/(2m^2a_x) = \Delta x [/itex]

but my books answer is

[itex] (M^2v^2)/(2m^2 (mewk) g ) [/itex]

does anyone know where I went wrong?

Looking at my answer a_x must = (mewk) g but I'm not sure how to figure this out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
a_x must = (mewk) g
Indeed it is.
What equations do you know relating coefficient of friction to actual frictional force?

haruspex said:
Indeed it is.
What equations do you know relating coefficient of friction to actual frictional force?
Would I use f=ma?

So I have ma going to the left, and then Fn(mewk) going to the right?

Rijad Hadzic said:
Would I use f=ma?
Yes.
Rijad Hadzic said:
So I have ma going to the left, and then Fn(mewk) going to the right?
You have not said what you consider as left and right in the description. Since the acceleration is a result of Fnμk, they must surely point the same way.

Please use the X2 and X2 buttons for subscripts and superscripts, and the Σ button for Greek letters etc.

Ok so I have Fg = mg
pointing to the bottom

Fn = mg = Fg

Fn pointing to the bottom

Since he is going backwards from the force of throwing the ball, I set unknown force [itex] f = ma [/itex] going to the left, against the throw of the ball.

Then I set force Fk = mg(mewk) = Fn(mewk)

So force of friction opposing the movement to the left. (Trying to make it stay right)

This is how it makes sense to me, is there something wrong with this thinking??

Btw I think I get the subscript now but I still don't know how to do "mewk." sorry. I looked under info and I couldn't find how..

Rijad Hadzic said:
Since he is going backwards from the force of throwing the ball, I set unknown force f=ma going to the left, against the throw of the ball.
The ball has been thrown. That gave the initial speed (away from the ball). It takes no further part in the the skater's movement.
(Of course, the sliding, and hence the friction, starts even before the skater has released the ball, but if the throw is quick this has little effect.)
If the ball went to the right, the skater is moving left, so which way will friction act?
Rijad Hadzic said:
[itex] Fk = mg(mewk) = Fn(mewk) [/itex]
Yes.
Rijad Hadzic said:
I get the subscript now but I still don't know how to do "mewk."
There are two ways.

If you want to use LaTeX, it's underscore for subscript (if more than one character, wrap in {}); for mu it's \mu:
##\mu_k##
If you right-click on that you will get a pulldown from which you can select "View math as latex". Doesn't work on iPads though.

Alternatively, do not use LaTeX, instead using the editing buttons. If you click on the Σ button you should see a menu of special characters appear under the typing panel.

Do not put any of those special characters inside the LaTeX.

haruspex said:
The ball has been thrown. That gave the initial speed (away from the ball). It takes no further part in the the skater's movement.
If the ball went to the right, the skater is moving left, so which way will friction act?

Yes.

There are two ways.

If you want to use LaTeX, it's underscore for subscript (if more than one character, wrap in {}); for mu it's \mu:
##\mu_k##
If you right-click on that you will get a pulldown from which you can select "View math as latex". Doesn't work on iPads though.

Alternatively, do not use LaTeX, instead using the editing buttons. If you click on the Σ button you should see a menu of special characters appear under the typing panel.

Do not put any of those special characters inside the LaTeX.

Ohhhh I see now I think! acceleration of him from the initial push the the left doesn't exist so it would make no sense making my diagram with that, right?!

One more question though: Why isn't it negative then since it is going in the negative direction?

also sweet I see what you mean about the Σ button now haha cool I didnt know of this!

Rijad Hadzic said:
Why isn't it negative then since it is going in the negative direction?
You have not defined the positive and negative directions.
If the ball was thrown in the positive direction, the skater's velocity is negative. Friction opposes relative motion of surfaces in contact, so that force will be positive on the skater.

haruspex said:
You have not defined the positive and negative directions.
If the ball was thrown in the positive direction, the skater's velocity is negative. Friction opposes relative motion of surfaces in contact, so that force will be positive on the skater.
Thanks I think I understand this problem now!

Related to Find the distance over which the skater will move

1. How do you calculate the distance a skater will move?

The distance a skater will move can be calculated using the formula: distance = velocity x time. This means that the distance is equal to the product of the skater's velocity (speed) and the time that they are moving.

2. What is the unit of measurement for the distance the skater will move?

The unit of measurement for distance can vary, but common units include meters, kilometers, feet, and miles. The unit will depend on the specific problem and what is most appropriate for the given situation.

3. How does the skater's speed affect the distance they will move?

The skater's speed directly affects the distance they will move. The faster the skater's speed, the farther they will travel in a given amount of time. This is because the distance is directly proportional to the speed.

4. Does the time the skater is moving affect the distance they will travel?

Yes, the time the skater is moving does affect the distance they will travel. The longer the skater is moving, the farther they will travel. This is because the distance is directly proportional to the time.

5. What other factors can affect the distance a skater will move?

Other factors that can affect the distance a skater will move include the surface they are skating on (smooth vs rough), any external forces acting on the skater (such as wind or friction), and the skater's technique and skill level. These factors can impact the skater's speed and therefore affect the distance they will travel.