Math tricks for Theoretical Physics

In summary, There is no specific book on mathematical tricks for complex problems in math and theoretical physics, but it is recommended to learn a few general powerful methods that can be applied to a wide variety of physics problems. These include understanding the theory of quadratic forms and special functions, which can be applied to fields such as quantum mechanics, classical mechanics, linear system theory, optimal control, and electric and magnetic circuits. While there are professors who use "tricks" to solve problems, it is important to also understand the method for solving problems and not rely solely on shortcuts.
Silviu
Hello! Is there a book (any kind of written collection) about mathematical tricks for complex problems (in both math and theoretical physics). Over time I have encountered several nice and impressive tricks to simplify apparently difficult problems and I was wondering if someone gathered them in any way. To be clear I don't want a book with math applied to physics, at least not the kind of book that starts with "what is a vector".

Likes Demystifier
Physics news on Phys.org
This is for fairly basic math tricks and shortcuts, but is a good place to start, IMO.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471575631/?tag=pfamazon01-20

51x4yur1scL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Attachments

• 51x4yur1scL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    51x4yur1scL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 771
I believe with experience, most physicists collect a grab bag of quick techniques and methods to solve or simplify problems so they can be done quickly. However, I believe pursuing a scattered collection without a body organizing these methods is misguided

I especially found that learning a few general powerful methods that can be applied to a wide variety of physics problems is worth a lot more than a collection of tricks.

I found that understanding the theory of quadratic forms can be applied to quantum mechanics, classical mechanics (both small oscillations, and rigid body problems), linear system theory, optimal control, electric and magnetic circuits.

The theory of special functions can be applied and is important to all these fields as well.

I once had a professor that solved many problems with "tricks". It was difficult to transfer his techniques to real-life problems which were unlike the assigned problems in textbooks which were contrived so that everything works out just right. I tried to present physics to my students to illustrate the method for solving problems, even if I could cleverly solve the problems with a tricky turn. Occasionally, I would show them the easy way, but I would discourage looking for easy ways for every problem. Sometimes physics problems are just hard

Likes symbolipoint

Related to Math tricks for Theoretical Physics

1. How can math tricks be used in theoretical physics?

Math tricks can be used in theoretical physics to simplify complex equations and calculations, making it easier to understand and solve problems. These tricks can also help to identify patterns and relationships between different variables, leading to new insights and discoveries in the field.

2. What are some common math tricks used in theoretical physics?

Some common math tricks used in theoretical physics include using symmetry to simplify equations, using dimensional analysis to check for errors, and using approximation techniques to quickly estimate solutions to complex problems.

3. Are there any specific mathematical concepts that are particularly useful for theoretical physics?

Yes, there are many mathematical concepts that are particularly useful for theoretical physics. These include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and group theory, among others. It is important for theoretical physicists to have a strong understanding of these mathematical concepts in order to effectively apply math tricks in their research.

4. Can anyone learn and use math tricks for theoretical physics?

Yes, anyone can learn and use math tricks for theoretical physics with practice and dedication. It may be helpful to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, but with patience and persistence, anyone can become proficient in using math tricks for theoretical physics.

5. How can math tricks be applied to real-world problems in theoretical physics?

Math tricks can be applied to real-world problems in theoretical physics by helping to simplify and solve complex equations and calculations. This can lead to a deeper understanding of physical phenomena and the ability to make predictions and advancements in the field. Additionally, math tricks can also be used to identify patterns and relationships in experimental data, aiding in the development of new theories and models.