Exploring Theoretical Physics: Math Requirements and Resources

In summary, this person is a college graduate who has an interest in physics. They are asking for help with a journey that they are on to become a physicist. They understand that math is involved in the field of physics, and they want to be prepared for the challenges that they will face. They have taken college algebra and are asking for help with other math courses that they need to take in order to be a successful physicist. They are also asking for help with taking online courses at the Khan Academy website.
Whitestar
Hello.

I have been a member on this forum for quite some time and I came here because I've always had an interest in science, particularly physics. When I was in Junior High, I did very well in my science class but by the time I got to college, I wanted to make money. However, I realized that having a job as a physicist was not going to cut it, so I took the other path and now I am financially secured thanks to specializing in online marketing.

Now that I have some free time, I decided to look into physics, specifically, theoretical physics because I've always had a fascination within that field. In the past, whenever I would go to a bookstore and check out the physics section, I would randomly select a book on the subject and I would see those mind-bogglingly complicated physics equations stare angrily back at me. Many years ago, I used to get intimidated by them, but now, I've changed my atititude to the point where I don't let it bother me anymore, thinking positive by saying to those physics equations, "Some day, you and I are going to be good friends, you'll see". I'm doing this for me, for my own enlightenment.

Anyway, I understand that there is a lot of math involved in science, especially physics and the closest level of mathematics that I reached was college algebra.

What other math courses must I take prior to introductory physics? Do I need to take a course in chemistry too? What is the order in terms of what math classes I should take in regards to my journey to eventually learning physics? What about taking online courses at the Khan Academy website? Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, much appreciated! :smile:

Likes BvU and berkeman
I grant you that it's a bit much ... :wink:

##\ ##

That's okay, I have some time, thanks again! :wink:

What is theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is a branch of physics that uses mathematical models and principles to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. It involves developing and testing theories to better understand the fundamental laws of nature.

What math skills are required for studying theoretical physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying theoretical physics. Some of the key math skills required include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and complex analysis. A good understanding of geometry and trigonometry is also important.

What resources are available for learning the math required for theoretical physics?

There are many resources available for learning the math required for theoretical physics. These include textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. Additionally, many universities offer introductory courses in math for physics students.

What are some common challenges when studying theoretical physics?

Some common challenges when studying theoretical physics include the abstract nature of the subject, the complex mathematical concepts involved, and the need for strong problem-solving skills. It is also important to stay updated with the latest research and developments in the field.

What career opportunities are available for theoretical physicists?

Theoretical physicists can pursue careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. They can work on developing new theories, conducting experiments, or using mathematical models to solve real-world problems. Some common job titles for theoretical physicists include research scientist, professor, and data analyst.