Introductory book on theoretical physics

In summary, a physicist uses problem-solving strategies and how to derive a theory from experimental data.
jack476
I'm not necessarily looking for theory of any particular subject but rather a more general approach to how theoretical physics is actually done in practice:

-What problem-solving strategies do physicists use? (Most important part for my interests, I'm getting back into math competitions and I want to round out my problem-solving skills with some real-world applications). I've read and worked through plenty of math problem-solving and proof-writing books, but I'm looking for real-world applications.

-How does a physicist derive a theory from experimental data?

-When is a theory considered fully derived as opposed to just conjectured, and how does a theoretical physicist go from conjecture to theory?

I'm looking for a book or resource that answers these questions and gives an introduction to the methods that theoretical physicists use in their work. I'm not interested in derivations or proofs of results but rather how theoretical physicists figure out how to derive and prove their results in the first place.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think one book is going to cover all these topics. You are talking about a very wide ranging collection of issues and ideas. From mundane stuff about how to do word problems, right up to philosophical issues of epistemology.

Maybe you could consider narrowing it a bit. For example, Feynman talks about how to derive a theory.

Various other "big name" scientists have done some work on this.

Likes collinsmark
You might want to check out Physics for Entertainment by Yakov Perelman.

It was originally published in Russian, but there is a good English translation. You might even find an online version somewhere.

[Edit: the book doesn't go into your list of topics directly, but through specific examples there are plenty of hints and overtones about them throughout the book.]

Last edited:
Another good clip of Feynman on the subject at hand:

Likes DEvens
Einstein's good advice concerning theoretical physics is "Don't listen to their words, look at their deeds" (or something similar). So I'd recommend to read a good general-purpose contemporary theory textbook. My favorite is in German: Bartelmann et al, Theoretische Physik, Springer (2015).

One of the best theory books ever written (although meant as a freshman introductory course at its time) are the Feynman Lectures (3 vols.).

Somewhat oldfashioned but perhaps the best books ever written on classical theoretical physics are Sommerfeld's Lecture notes (6 vols.).

Very good is also the series by Landau and Lifshitz, but for these you should have some more gentle introduction before :-).

Thank you so much! I'll look for it in the library.

Related to Introductory book on theoretical physics

1. What is the purpose of an introductory book on theoretical physics?

An introductory book on theoretical physics is designed to provide a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts and principles of physics. It serves as a stepping stone for further exploration and study in the field of theoretical physics.

2. What topics are typically covered in an introductory book on theoretical physics?

Topics often covered in an introductory book on theoretical physics include classical mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and special relativity. Some books may also touch on topics such as astrophysics and cosmology.

3. Do I need a strong math background to understand an introductory book on theoretical physics?

While a basic understanding of mathematical concepts such as algebra, calculus, and trigonometry can be helpful, most introductory books on theoretical physics are written in a way that is accessible to readers with varying levels of mathematical proficiency. However, a willingness to learn and engage with mathematical concepts is important for a thorough understanding of the subject.

4. Can an introductory book on theoretical physics be used as a reference?

Yes, an introductory book on theoretical physics can serve as a useful reference for those who are already familiar with the basics of the subject. It can also be a helpful resource for students who are studying more advanced topics in theoretical physics.

5. Are there any recommended introductory books on theoretical physics?

There are many great introductory books on theoretical physics, and the best one for you may depend on your personal preferences and learning style. Some popular options include "Introduction to Theoretical Physics" by John D. Jackson, "The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and George Hrabovsky, and "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking.