Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS: Mechanical or Biomedical?

In summary: If you want a job at PhD level, biomedical. If you want to get a basic BSc degree and work asap, ME.Since it is clear you want to work in industry and help build the equipment, I would not recommend a path as as a biological or chemical scientist. When it comes to biosensors or special fluids/colloids, a scientist will have to do most of the theoretical/R&D world there.Being in charge of production or quality control or solving engineering problems once a basic design exists, there is where the engineer comes in. Though, a PhD in biomedical engineering can be involved from the start. Not clear if you want an R&D job or something else. R
yosimba2000
Which graduate program should I enter? I plan to enter a thesis based course. My end goal is to eventually be able to create biosensors and diagnostics for the healthcare industry, such as microfluidics (lab on chip) and glucometer sensors.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want a job at PhD level, biomedical. If you want to get a basic BSc degree and work asap, ME.

Since it is clear you want to work in industry and help build the equipment, I would not recommend a path as as a biological or chemical scientist. When it comes to biosensors or special fluids/colloids, a scientist will have to do most of the theoretical/R&D world there.

Being in charge of production or quality control or solving engineering problems once a basic design exists, there is where the engineer comes in. Though, a PhD in biomedical engineering can be involved from the start. Not clear if you want an R&D job or something else. R&D jobs are generally harder to get.

I think a mechanical engineer fresh out of school has basically no affinity with the R&D side of biomedical. You can check requirements asked in vacancies in your area. Always possible to get some job at most companies with a BSc in ME. Though with a master in ME and experience in the field, it can be just as good as a MSc in biomedical.

Remember that for these engineering fields often a lot of knowledge exists only inside said company, so job experience is very important and may in the end trump degrees. But of course you can't just choose to get a BSc in ME and get 15 years of experience.
When you arrive in a company, the biggest expert there may be just that type of person. Doesn't mean that right now with degree inflation you will have the opportunity to follow the same track.

yosimba2000 said:
Which graduate program should I enter? I plan to enter a thesis based course. My end goal is to eventually be able to create biosensors and diagnostics for the healthcare industry, such as microfluidics (lab on chip) and glucometer sensors.

Thanks
It might help if you provide a link to the degree programs in question. I find a lot of variability in these kinds of programs, so the details may matter.

Related to Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS: Mechanical or Biomedical?

What is a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS?

A Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS is a graduate level program that focuses on the study and development of micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) used in biological and medical applications. It combines principles from both mechanical engineering and biomedical engineering to create devices that can be used in various fields such as medicine, biology, and healthcare.

What is the difference between a Mechanical and Biomedical focus in this degree?

The main difference between a Mechanical and Biomedical focus in a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS is the emphasis on the specific applications and techniques used in each field. A Mechanical focus will cover the design and fabrication of MEMS devices, while a Biomedical focus will also include topics such as biomaterials, tissue engineering, and biological interactions with MEMS devices.

What are the career opportunities with a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS?

Graduates with a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as healthcare, biotechnology, and medical device manufacturing. They can work as MEMS engineers, biomedical engineers, research scientists, or in product development for companies that specialize in MEMS technology.

What are the prerequisites for a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS?

The prerequisites for a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS may vary depending on the specific program, but generally include a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, such as physics or biology. Some programs may also require coursework in mathematics, chemistry, and biology. Relevant research or work experience in MEMS or biomedical engineering may also be beneficial.

What skills and knowledge will I gain from a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS?

In addition to gaining a strong foundation in mechanical and biomedical engineering concepts, a Masters Degree for Bio-MEMS will also provide you with skills in microfabrication, tissue engineering, biomaterials, and biological interactions with MEMS devices. You will also develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and research skills that are essential for a career in this field.