Does Course Selection Matter? (Masters Level)

In summary, the speaker has a BS in Applied Physics and minors in Biomedical Engineering and Mathematics. They are currently in a Master's program for Biomedical Engineering but considering switching to a Master's of Science with a thesis. They have fulfilled half of the program requirements and have taken more core engineering courses. They are considering the switch due to potential financial benefits and gaining expertise in a specific area. They are asking for advice from experienced individuals in hiring and industry on whether the courses they take and the type of degree they have will impact their job prospects. In general, the courses and degree do not matter to hiring managers, but it ultimately depends on the individual manager's biases.
joshthekid
Preface: I have a B.S. in Applied Physics and minors in Biomedical Engineering and Mathematics. At this point my intention is to go into industry rather then academia. The project I am working on now, and might be able to turn into a M.S. thesis, is in bioinformatics, more specifically using statistical and machine learning methods to predict drug efficacy among chemo-drugs. I believe work in this area might be useful in industry because, in my opinion, big data is going to become prevalent in prediction, diagnosis, and treatment of disease over the next couple of decades (i.e. IBM Watson, iwatch,etc)

I am currently in a Master's of Engineering (Non-thesis) Degree Program for Biomedical Engineering but may have the chance to do a Master's of Science (thesis). The way my program works is that I get to choose graduate coursework throughout the different engineering practices with the requirements that some of these have to have biological content. So far I fulfilled half of the requirements for my program and Have concentrated on more core engineering classes (i.e. Finite Element Method, Micro-Electrical-Mechanical-Systems, Probability and Statistics for Electrical and Computer Engineers) and I continue with this trend the next 2 semesters of my degree.

If I were to switch to the M.S., I would take fewer classes to substitute with thesis credits, take more research oriented classes, possibly get some of my costs paid for as opposed to taking out loans to pay for it, extend my graduation date.

This has a couple disadvantages as I see it
1. I have to take less core engineering classes to make room for other required courses and thesis credits. One of the reasons I choose to do a Masters was I was having a hard time finding work as an engineer without an engineering degree ,despite lots of undergrad coursework in engineering, so I wanted to build my engineering pedigree to be more competitive.
2. More school

Advantages:
1. Less debt
2. Gained Expertise in a particular area.

My question too more experienced people involved in hiring and industry is:
1. Do the courses I take (i.e. more research based or more engineering based (particularly more grad level mechanical courses) matter?
2. Does the letter after the M. play any significant role?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Different hiring managers have different biases.

joshthekid said:
1. Do the courses I take (i.e. more research based or more engineering based (particularly more grad level mechanical courses) matter?
In general no, the courses themselves don't matter to hiring managers.

joshthekid said:
2. Does the letter after the M. play any significant role?
Not usually.

However, in regard to both questions, every hiring manager that will interview you is different, as mentioned above.

Related to Does Course Selection Matter? (Masters Level)

1. Does the choice of courses impact my future job prospects?

Yes, the courses you select for your master's degree can have a significant impact on your job prospects. Certain courses may be more relevant and in-demand in your desired field, making you a more competitive candidate for jobs.

2. Can I change my course selection once I have started my master's program?

It depends on your university and program. Some universities may allow students to make changes to their course selection, while others may have strict guidelines and deadlines for making changes. It is best to consult with your academic advisor or program coordinator for more information.

3. Are there specific courses that are recommended for certain career paths?

Yes, certain courses may be more relevant and beneficial for certain career paths. For example, if you are pursuing a career in data science, courses in statistics and programming would be highly recommended. It is important to research and consult with professionals in your desired field to determine the most beneficial courses for your career goals.

4. Can I take courses outside of my field of study during my master's program?

It depends on your university and program. Some programs may have elective options that allow students to take courses outside of their field of study, while others may have a more structured curriculum. It is important to check with your program coordinator or academic advisor for more information.

5. Will my course selection affect my overall GPA in my master's program?

Yes, your course selection will have an impact on your overall GPA in your master's program. The difficulty level and the grades you receive in your courses will contribute to your final GPA. It is important to choose courses that align with your strengths and interests to help maintain a high GPA.