The right degree for R&D in Biomedical Engineering

In summary, the speaker graduated with a degree in Applied Physics and minors in biomedical engineering and mathematics. They were recently accepted to a Masters of Engineering in biomedical engineering and are considering moving into an M.S. program or a Ph.D. They have a strong interest in research and development in industry or public sector research labs. However, they have found that job opportunities in their field are limited, with most positions being in process engineering, quality assurance, or field support. They are unsure which degree, between M.E., M.S., or Ph.D., would open up the most job opportunities for research and design in medical imaging and devices. The speaker is advised to consider the time investment and potential for future opportunities in their decision.
joshthekid
I graduated last spring with a degree in Applied Physics and minors in biomedical engineering and mathematics. I recently was accepted to the Masters of Engineering in biomedical engineering at Colorado State University but am looking eventually to move into the M.S. program or possibly even a Ph.d. I love research and have been doing some sort or another since I was a freshman and would like to do research and development in industry or possibly work in a public sector research lab. I don't really want to go into academia, and even if I did the jobs are very competitive. I have been on the job market for the past year with no avail, not a lot of people looking for physics BS, but even my engineering friends (BS) who have gotten jobs are almost entirely in process engineering, quality assurance, or field support not R and D. My question is between and M.E., M.S. or Ph.D. what degree is best, and will open the most job opportunities for research and design particularly in medical imaging and medical devices.

Thanks \

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's too broad of a question to get a real valid answer for.

Regardless of your degree, most entry level positions are unlikly to give you an R&D project and say run with it, unless you get in on the ground floor with a startup maybe.

One thing you may want to consider though is that if you aim for a PhD in one of these fields you can also aim to get involved in a project that can transition into something marketable when you're finished - either as your own venture or something that others are likely to pick up on.

Choppy has a good take, and you should listen. I'll give you some flavor from my own experience. I work in R&D in medical devices, and I came in the door ten years ago with an undergrad degree in physics. I started work as a process engineer doing manufacturing support. I did that for three and a half years before moving to R&D. This is common, for simple reasons. There are many, many more jobs in process engineering, quality assurance, or field support than there are in R&D. If you do well in an entry-level job, moving to R&D can be done. However, not everyone does. You need to have the right skills to make it worthwhile.

It is possible to start your career in R&D. By which I mean, I have seen it happen. I have not seen it happen often. Having a graduate degree here can help. Especially if your research was in the field you intend to enter. However, even with a PhD, most often my newly hired colleagues come in and help on a commercial product for a couple years before moving to R&D.

Ten years on, I am still a process engineer. Why? Because a product you can't make is a product you can't sell. I have specialized in taking a prototype device and making it commercial. There is an entire R&D ecosystem of people whose work has varying degrees of relation to product you might actually sell. I work in the world of taking new products to market. Others work in a world of making new and unique things every day, and maybe 1 in a 100 of those I commercialize.

As for the degree, I see this as an amortization calculation. Will the time you invest now pay off in a reasonable time frame in the future? [keeping in mind certain degrees may be qualifications for things you may want to do]

Choppy said:
... if you aim for a PhD in one of these fields you can also aim to get involved in a project that can transition into something marketable when you're finished ...

Ben Espen said:
... [keeping in mind certain degrees may be qualifications for things you may want to do]

And you may find that there are even more avenues than R&D from your educational pursuit.

n

Congratulations on your acceptance to the Masters of Engineering in biomedical engineering program at Colorado State University! It sounds like you have a strong background in both physics and biomedical engineering, which will be valuable in pursuing a career in research and development (R&D) in this field.

In terms of which degree is best for R&D in biomedical engineering, it ultimately depends on your career goals and what type of R&D work you hope to do. A Master of Engineering (M.E.) degree is typically more focused on practical, hands-on applications and may be a good fit for those who want to work in industry or government labs. On the other hand, a Master of Science (M.S.) or Ph.D. degree is more research-oriented and may be required for certain positions in academia or high-level R&D roles in industry.

If your ultimate goal is to work in industry or a public sector research lab, an M.E. or M.S. degree may be the best option. These degrees will provide you with the necessary technical skills and knowledge to conduct research and design in the medical imaging and medical device fields. Additionally, many companies and government agencies may value the practical experience and hands-on skills gained through an M.E. or M.S. program.

However, if you are interested in pursuing a more research-intensive career or want to lead R&D projects, a Ph.D. may be necessary. This degree will allow you to develop advanced research skills and become a subject matter expert in your field. Keep in mind that pursuing a Ph.D. can be a lengthy and challenging process, but it may open up more opportunities for high-level R&D positions in industry or academia.

Ultimately, the key to success in R&D in biomedical engineering is a combination of a strong technical background, research experience, and a passion for innovation and problem-solving. Whichever degree you choose, be sure to take advantage of research opportunities and networking opportunities to further develop your skills and make valuable connections in the field. Best of luck in your academic and career pursuits!

Related to The right degree for R&D in Biomedical Engineering

1. What is the difference between a degree in Biomedical Engineering and a degree in Biomedical Sciences?

A degree in Biomedical Engineering focuses on the application of engineering principles to biological and medical problems, while a degree in Biomedical Sciences focuses on the study of the human body and its functions. Biomedical Engineering combines both engineering and medical concepts, while Biomedical Sciences is more focused on the study of the human body.

2. Is a degree in Biomedical Engineering necessary for a career in R&D in this field?

While it is not always necessary, having a degree in Biomedical Engineering can be beneficial for a career in R&D in this field. It provides a strong foundation in both engineering and medical concepts, allowing for a deeper understanding of the complex problems and solutions in Biomedical Engineering research and development.

3. Which universities offer the best programs for a degree in Biomedical Engineering?

There are many universities that offer excellent programs for a degree in Biomedical Engineering. Some of the top universities in this field include Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Georgia Institute of Technology, Johns Hopkins University, and University of California, Berkeley.

4. Can I pursue a degree in Biomedical Engineering if I do not have a strong background in both engineering and biology?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a degree in Biomedical Engineering even if you do not have a strong background in both engineering and biology. Many programs offer introductory courses to provide students with the necessary foundation in these subjects. However, having some background in both areas can be beneficial for success in this field.

5. Are there any specific concentrations or specializations within a Biomedical Engineering degree for R&D?

Yes, there are a variety of concentrations and specializations within a Biomedical Engineering degree that can be beneficial for a career in R&D. Some common specializations include biomaterials, tissue engineering, medical imaging, and biomechanics. It is important to research different programs and their concentrations to find one that aligns with your interests and career goals.