Master's and Ph.Ds in UK and Europe.

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between postgraduate degree programs in the UK, Europe, and the US. The individual is concerned about not being able to take classes in their desired specialty and is seeking clarification on the structure of postgraduate programs. It is mentioned that in the UK and Europe, research begins immediately, while in the US there is a combination of classes and research. It is also noted that there are different types of postgraduate degrees, such as MSc and M.Res, and that funding for master's programs may vary depending on the country.
Darth Frodo
Hi guys,

I have a question regarding postgraduate degrees in the UK and Europe, particularly Master's.

If you do a master's, do you take any coursework or classes related to your specialty?

I can't take any relativity classes or fluid mechanics classes as part of my undergrad. I don't know yet, but I'm terrified that I won't have the option to do a postgrad in these areas.

I like the US system where you do classes and then research, but as far as I know, in the UK and Europe, research begins immediately.

If anyone could shed light on this I would be most appreciative, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about the programs in Europe, but I wouldn't say the US system is as you've described... at first the research will be lighter, while you're taking classes, but you're still expected to be doing some research... especially for a master's with thesis, the entire program will only be about 2 years, so you need to start the research fairly early on.

As far as I know, PhDs are research, and MScs can either be taught or research - you chose. If you want to go into those fields and you haven't had any teaching I'd suggest finding a taught MSc in that area.

There are both M.Sci which are coursework and M.Res which are research (like mini doctorates).

It should say at the institution which one is which. M.Res will have no coursework, M.Sci will be all coursework (usually)

As far as I gather, in Germany at least, Masters are one year of courses, another year doing strictly research. There may be variations of this in different places. But I've talked to several students who are doing specifically what I mentioned. PhD would then be after the MS and is strictly research.

But beware, in Germany MS's are not funded.

Related to Master's and Ph.Ds in UK and Europe.

What is the difference between a Master's and a Ph.D. degree?

A Master's degree is typically a 1-2 year program that focuses on specialized coursework and may include a research component. A Ph.D. degree, on the other hand, is a longer and more research-intensive program that typically takes 3-5 years to complete. Ph.D. students are required to conduct original research and write a dissertation, while Master's students may have the option to complete a thesis.

What is the typical application process for Master's and Ph.D. programs in the UK and Europe?

The application process may vary slightly between universities, but generally it involves submitting an online application, transcripts, letters of recommendation, a personal statement, and sometimes standardized test scores (such as the GRE). There may also be an interview process for Ph.D. programs. It is important to carefully review the specific requirements for each program you are interested in.

Can international students apply for Master's and Ph.D. programs in the UK and Europe?

Yes, many universities in the UK and Europe welcome applications from international students. However, it is important to check the specific requirements for international students, as they may differ from those for domestic students. International students may also need to provide proof of English proficiency, such as TOEFL or IELTS scores.

What is the cost of pursuing a Master's or Ph.D. in the UK and Europe?

The cost of tuition for Master's and Ph.D. programs in the UK and Europe can vary greatly depending on the university and the program. Generally, international students can expect to pay higher tuition fees than domestic students. It is important to research the specific costs for the programs you are interested in, as well as any potential funding opportunities or scholarships.

What are some top universities in the UK and Europe for Master's and Ph.D. programs?

Some top universities in the UK and Europe for Master's and Ph.D. programs include the University of Oxford, University of Cambridge, University College London, Imperial College London, and the University of Edinburgh. However, there are many other excellent universities in the UK and Europe that offer high-quality programs in various fields of study.