Mastering SolidWorks: How to Learn on Your Own?

• Thread starter PhMichael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solidworks
In summary, mastering SolidWorks on your own requires a combination of self-motivation, dedication, and utilizing available resources. It is important to familiarize yourself with the software interface, keyboard shortcuts, and basic commands. Practice and experimentation are key to developing proficiency. Online tutorials, forums, and user groups can also provide valuable guidance and support. It is also helpful to set specific goals and create projects to apply and expand your skills. With determination and consistent effort, one can become proficient in SolidWorks without formal training.
PhMichael
Hi all,

I would like to learn SolidWorks on my own and I'm not sure what is the best way/ways to do so ... I'm willing to spend a couple of hours, each day, to get a grip on it properly and fairly quickly (I need to know how to use this program in a good level till the 6th of January).
I have a good background in manual drawing but, unfortunately, I have never use a CAD program.

Your advise would be extrememly appreciated.

Thanks ;)

Engineering news on Phys.org

I'm in the same boat as you, I am starting to self teach myself Solidworks, I have ordered this after I used a copy from the library:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470554819/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However if you cannot afford / want to risk buying this book, there is a PDF online

Best way to learn is to start making things.

Do tutorials, they help the most. You'll learn slowly at first but then it will become easier and easier to get good at it.

I took a class on it, also I used a book by Murray or something like that. It explains everything pretty nicely, might be worth taking a look at.

Jones1987 said:
I'm in the same boat as you, I am starting to self teach myself Solidworks, I have ordered this after I used a copy from the library:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0470554819/?tag=pfamazon01-20

However if you cannot afford / want to risk buying this book, there is a PDF online

Hmmm, there is a copy at the library so i'll order it but first:
How did you find this book? Is it a tutorial-based one (practical) for new users or is it intended for people who know some CAD?

Curl said:
Best way to learn is to start making things.

Do tutorials, they help the most. You'll learn slowly at first but then it will become easier and easier to get good at it.

I took a class on it, also I used a book by Murray or something like that. It explains everything pretty nicely, might be worth taking a look at.

I wanted to take a course but, unluckily, I couldn't :( ... Do you any good places (online of course :P) that have efficient tutorials? Does this book (Inside Solidworks, Murray. Isn't it?) have good tutorials for new users?

I have a copy of the SolidWorks 2007 bible. I can confirm that this is a good book for beginners with a lot of good tutorials. I used this book when I first started to learn SW. It also include a CD with resources and solutions.

Depend on what you would like to learn (Mechanical oriented or product dev.) for product dev. I can recommend a great book covering complex shape/surface modelling (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470258233/?tag=pfamazon01-20).

Good luck.

FlashT
Mechanical eng. student

Last edited by a moderator:

Solidworks is one of the simplest ways into 3d modeling. you'll find the tutorials from the manufacturer are easy to follow. You'll get the hang of it quickly. There is also a gross of information online if you get stuck.

Of note, you'll find that the year to year variants in tutorial books rarely will impede you. just find any copy and get started.

SW shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on.

You don't need fancy tutorials, you just need to understand what each tool does and what it is designed to do (what it is meant for), and the rest is just messing around on your own.

The book by murray has good tutorials from beginners, step by step. There aren't a whole lot, but you don't need a lot to learn. Basically you do one tutorial and you learned the tool, then its up to you to practice.

Related to Mastering SolidWorks: How to Learn on Your Own?

1. What is SolidWorks and why is it important to learn?

SolidWorks is a 3D computer-aided design (CAD) software used for creating models and drawings of mechanical and industrial designs. It is widely used in industries such as engineering, manufacturing, and architecture. Learning SolidWorks allows you to create precise and realistic 3D models, improve your design skills, and enhance your employability in various industries.

2. How can I learn SolidWorks?

There are several ways to learn SolidWorks, such as online tutorials, classes, workshops, and self-paced learning. You can also download the software and practice using it to familiarize yourself with its features. Many universities and technical schools also offer courses in SolidWorks as part of their engineering or design programs.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge or skills to learn SolidWorks?

No, you do not need any prior knowledge or skills to learn SolidWorks. However, having a basic understanding of technical drawing and 3D modeling concepts can be helpful. SolidWorks also has a user-friendly interface, making it easy for beginners to learn and use.

4. Is SolidWorks suitable for all types of design projects?

SolidWorks is primarily used for mechanical and industrial design projects, but it can also be used for other types of projects such as architectural and product design. Its wide range of tools and features make it a versatile software for various design purposes.

5. How long does it take to learn SolidWorks?

The time it takes to learn SolidWorks depends on individual learning abilities and the amount of time dedicated to practice. Some people may learn the basics in a few weeks, while others may take a few months. With consistent practice and dedication, one can become proficient in SolidWorks within a few months.