Mastering physics Problem 20.58 tension and wave velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass of an object hanging from a steel wire, using equations such as linear density, velocity, tension, and weight. The solution involves breaking the problem into two parts and using the relationship between tension and weight to solve for the mass. However, further clarification is needed on the specific method used.
Second_addition

Homework Statement

The figure shows two masses hanging from a steel wire. The mass of the wire is 60.5 g . A wave pulse travels along the wire from point 1 to point 2 in 24.0 ms .
https://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1383975/6/knight_Figure_20_80.jpg
//What is mass m?

Homework Equations

mass/(length of wire)=linear density
velocity=sqrt(Tension/Linear density)
sin(theta)*tension=downward force of weight
distance/time=velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

.0605kg/8meters=.00756 linear density
4m/24ms=166.7m/s
166.7m/s=sqrt(Tension/.00756)
27777.8=tension/.00756
210=tension now I get stuck here...
Sin(40)*210=135
135/9.8=14 which is not the right answer is it 7 each and 14 combined Thank you for any assistance I know I'm not super far off just missing how to translate tension force in the whole string into downward force of both those weights

Physics news on Phys.org
It's basically two separate problems:
1.) Find the tension supposing you know the speed the waves travel (which you've done)
2.) Find the tension supposing you know the mass m
Then you can put the two together to find m.

You're going to need to attack this second problem with a little more care.
If you still agree with your method, then explain it in more detail; all you've said about this second problem is "Sin(40)*210=135"

(And if you can, please use letters, for example type "sin(40)*T=mg" instead of "sin(40)*210=135")

I reviewed tension problems diagrams some and am still not figuring out 2. Tension=sin(40)*mass*gravity if the rope was hanging from the ceiling. well the tension in the rope is the reaction to the two masses and because the angles are the same and the masses are the same and the distances are the same the some of the tension force must be the sum of the forces due to gravity of the weights. which would mean Tension total which was 210/2 105n is the force from one weight 105/sin(40)=m*g of weight 140.918N/9.8m/s^2=14kg but 14 kg didn't work I'm not sure if I need to Subtract the tension caused by the the force of gravity on the rope itself or what. method is normally used. I also tried pretending the masses were combined 2m*sin(40)=tension still 14

Consider the net force on one of those two points where the three ropes meet. There is one tension pulling it to the side, there is another tension pulling it upwards-and-to-the-other-side, and there is a third tension (from the weight of m) pulling it downwards.

If this point is not moving (more specifically, not accelerating) then what must these three forces combine to?

Try to use this to find a relationship between the weight of m and the tension in the middle part of the rope.

Related to Mastering physics Problem 20.58 tension and wave velocity

1. What is the relationship between tension and wave velocity in Problem 20.58?

In Problem 20.58, the wave velocity is directly proportional to the tension in the string. This means that as the tension increases, the wave velocity also increases.

2. How do I calculate the tension in a string in Problem 20.58?

To calculate the tension in the string in Problem 20.58, you can use the formula T = μv^2, where T is the tension, μ is the linear mass density of the string, and v is the wave velocity.

3. What is the significance of Problem 20.58 in mastering physics?

Problem 20.58 is a common problem in mastering physics that tests your understanding of the relationship between tension and wave velocity in a string. It also helps to reinforce the concept of linear mass density and its role in determining tension.

4. Can I use the same equation for tension and wave velocity in other scenarios?

The equation T = μv^2 can be used to calculate tension and wave velocity in other scenarios involving strings, as long as the linear mass density is known. However, it may not be applicable in other situations, such as waves in water or air.

5. How can I manipulate the variables in Problem 20.58 to change the wave velocity?

In Problem 20.58, the wave velocity can be changed by adjusting the tension in the string or the linear mass density. Increasing the tension or decreasing the linear mass density will result in a higher wave velocity, while decreasing the tension or increasing the linear mass density will result in a lower wave velocity.