Calculating Amplitude and Velocity of Mechanical Waves in Non-Uniform Wire

In summary, the linear mass density of a non-uniform wire under constant tension gradually decreases along the wire while ensuring an incident wave is transmitted without reflection. The wire has constant density μ for x ≤ 0. In this region a transverse wave has the form y(x,t) = 0.003cos(30x -60t), where x,y are given in meters and t in seconds. From x=0 to x=20, the linear mass density decreases from μ to μ/9. For x > 20, the density remains constant at μ/9.
struggles

Homework Statement

The linear mass density of a non-uniform wire under constant tension gradually decreases along the wire while ensuring an incident wave is transmitted without reflection. The wire has constant density μ for x ≤ 0. In this region a transverse wave has the form y(x,t) = 0.003cos(30x -60t), where x,y are given in meters and t in seconds. From x=0 to x=20, the linear mass density decreases from μ to μ/9. For x > 20, the density remains constant at μ/9.

i) What is the wave velocity for large values of x (>20m)?
ii) What is the amplitude of the wave for large values of x? You should be able to determine this using conservation of mechanical energy,
iii)Give y(x,t) for x>20.

Homework Equations

y(x,t) = Acos(kx-wt)
w/k = v
v= sqrt(T/μ)
P = 1/2sqrt(μT)w2A2

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Comparing given wave equation and y=Acos(kx-wt) for x < 0
k = 30 w = 60
v = 60/30 =2
v2μ = T
4μ=T
Tension remains constant so
v20 = √4μ/μ/9 = 6m/s

ii) E = 1/2mv2. At max kinetic energy potential energy = 0. Total energy = Kinetic energy
P = ½√(μF)w2A2
Energy before = Energy After
½√(μ4μ).6020.0032 =½√(μ/9.4μ).v2k2A2
0.0027=k2A2

I have no idea if this is correct and if i can take k to be constant or not.
Any help would be really appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What stays constant as a wave travels from one medium to another: the frequency or the wavelength?

Likes struggles
Thank you!
The frequency stays constant and as the wave travels the wavelength would increase i think. That would mean that k wouldn't be constant.

Could I work out the frequency initially as f = v/λ = vk/2pi = 30pi and then as frequency stays the same work out k when x=20 by
k=2fpi/v = 60pi2/6 ?

Thank you for helping me out!

Yes, frequency remains constant. What can you say about ω?

How does this help when thinking about the power P?

Likes struggles
ω = 2pif so would also be constant. This means I now know all the variables in the power equation apart from the Amplitude so by setting power before to power after I should hopefully be able to get the correct amplitude. Thank you so much!

Related to Calculating Amplitude and Velocity of Mechanical Waves in Non-Uniform Wire

1. What is the definition of velocity in mechanical waves?

Velocity in mechanical waves is the rate at which the wave travels through a medium. It is measured in meters per second and is determined by the wavelength and frequency of the wave.

2. How is the velocity of a mechanical wave affected by the medium it travels through?

The velocity of a mechanical wave is affected by the properties of the medium it travels through, such as density, elasticity, and temperature. In general, waves travel faster through more rigid and less dense mediums.

3. What is the relationship between the velocity, wavelength, and frequency of a mechanical wave?

The velocity of a mechanical wave is directly proportional to its frequency and wavelength. This means that as the frequency or wavelength increases, the velocity also increases.

4. Can the velocity of a mechanical wave change in the same medium?

No, the velocity of a mechanical wave in the same medium remains constant. It only changes when the wave enters a different medium with different properties.

5. How is the velocity of a mechanical wave different from the speed of a wave?

The velocity of a mechanical wave refers to the speed at which the wave travels through a medium, while the speed of a wave refers to the distance the wave travels in a given amount of time. The velocity takes into account the properties of the medium, while the speed does not.