Will increasing the energy of a string increase the velocity

In summary, during a sound and waves unit test, the task was to identify 3 characteristics that could increase the velocity of sound traveling through a cup and wire phone. Based on the equation Velocity = √((Force of Tension)/(linear density)), it was suggested that decreasing the linear density and increasing the force of tension in the string could increase velocity. It was also mentioned that having cups and wire of the same resonant frequency could minimize energy loss and potentially increase velocity. However, the teacher pointed out that a more energetic vibration does not necessarily result in a faster travel time. In the end, the third change to increase speed was not determined. The use of beeswax on the string in tin can phones as a kid is now
HHH

Homework Statement

In a test, I was told to identify 3 characteristics that could increase the velocity of the sound traveling through a cup and wire phone. This was a sound and waves unit test.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote that the linear density could be decreased, the force of tension in the string could be increased and that the cups and wire themselves could be of the same resonant frequency.

My first two reasons are from the equation Velocity = √((Force of Tension)/(linear density)). The third reasoning was based on the idea that if they are of the same resonant frequency, less energy would be lost going from medium to medium. I said that because there is more energy in the string, the velocity would increase.

The teacher agreed that there would be more energy, but said that more energy in the string would only result in a greater amplitude. I had thought that more energy == greater velocity? Is that assumption incorrect then?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good idea to minimize losses, but a more energetic vibration doesn't mean it travels faster. (If you want to convince otherwise, you'd need to come up with equations that support that contention.)

If an axeman brings the axe down more forcefully, the sound doesn't travel through the air to reach a distant listener noticeably any faster than when he chops less energetically.

Did you find out what the third change was, to increase speed?

I remember as a kid making these tin can phones, and we waxed the string, using a lump of beeswax. I'm now wondering what that achieved.

Related to Will increasing the energy of a string increase the velocity

1. Will increasing the energy of a string always increase its velocity?

Not necessarily. The velocity of a string is dependent on other factors such as its tension, mass, and length. Increasing the energy of a string may increase its velocity, but it is not the only determining factor.

2. How does the energy of a string affect its velocity?

The energy of a string is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the energy of a string increases, its velocity will also increase. However, this relationship is not linear and may be affected by other factors.

3. Can increasing the energy of a string cause it to break?

Yes, increasing the energy of a string beyond its elastic limit can cause it to break. The elastic limit is the maximum energy that a material can absorb without permanently deforming or breaking. Therefore, it is important to consider the material's properties when increasing its energy.

4. How is the energy of a string increased?

The energy of a string can be increased by applying a force or tension to it. This can be done by plucking, striking, or bowing the string, which creates vibrations and increases its energy. The type and magnitude of the applied force will also affect the amount of energy transferred to the string.

5. Is there a limit to how much the energy of a string can be increased?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the energy of a string can be increased. This limit is determined by the string's material properties and its elastic limit. If the energy is increased beyond this limit, the string may break or permanently deform.