Localization - Bijections between prime ideals of R and D^-1R

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation is about Proposition 38, part 3 in Section 15.4 of Dummit and Foote's book on Localization. The proposition states that the contraction map c maps prime ideals of D^-1R to prime ideals P of R, where P ∩ D = ∅. The goal is to find a proof of this proposition without relying on translating the result of Exercise 13 in Section 7.4. The contraction map c is defined as c: D^-1R → R, with c(Q) = Π^-1(Q) where Q is an ideal of D^-1R. The conversation includes a discussion on prime ideals and their characterization, and the claim is made that c is a
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote, Section 15.4: Localization and am currently working on Proposition 38, part 3 (contraction bijection) - see attachments.

I am hoping that someone can demonstrate a proof of the following propostion (without - as D&F do - referring to or relying on translating the result of Exercise 13, Section 7.4)

c maps prime ideals of \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) to prime ideals P of R where \(\displaystyle P \cap D = \emptyset \)

Note: c is a contraction of ideals Q of \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) to R defined as folows:

\(\displaystyle c: \ D^{-1}R \to R \)

where

\(\displaystyle c(Q) = \Pi^{-1}(Q) \) where Q is an ideal of \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \)

Hoping someone can help!

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
By an earlier exercise, if $I \cap D \neq \emptyset$, we have ${}^eI = D^{-1}R$, which is not a prime ideal of $D^{-1}R$.

Since $J = {}^e({}^cJ)$ we see that if $J$ is a prime ideal of $D^{-1}R$, it must be the case that ${}^cJ$ does not intersect $D$ (if $D$ is an ideal, this is often expressed as: " ${}^cJ$ does not meet $D$").

D&F do not give a very good characterization of which elements of $R$ are actually in ${}^cJ$.

I claim that ${}^cJ = S = \{a \in R: a/1 \in J\}$.

Suppose $a \in S$. Then $a/1 \in J$

Hence $a \in \pi^{-1}(J) = {}^cJ$.

On the other hand suppose $a \in {}^cJ$. Then $a \in \pi^{-1}(r/d)$ for some $r/d \in J$. From:

$\pi(a)= a/1 = \pi(\pi^{-1}(r/d)) = r/d$, we see that $a/1 \in J$.

It remains to be seen that if $J$ is prime, ${}^cJ$ is prime.

So suppose we have $ab \in {}^cJ$, with $a \not\in {}^cJ$.

This means that $(ab)/1 = (a/1)(b/1) \in J$. Since $a \not\in {}^cJ$,

$a/1 \not\in J$, and since $J$ is prime, $b/1 \in J$, so $b \in {}^cJ$.

I leave it to you to show that $c$ is a bijection of the two sets.

(Hint: show any prime ideal of $D^{-1}R$ is an extension of a prime ideal $I$ in $R$ with $I \cap D = \emptyset$).

Related to Localization - Bijections between prime ideals of R and D^-1R

1. What is localization in mathematics?

Localization is a mathematical concept that involves creating new mathematical objects by inverting a specific element or set of elements in a given ring or module.

2. What is a bijection in mathematics?

A bijection is a function between two sets where every element in the first set is paired with exactly one element in the second set, and vice versa. This means that every element in the first set has a unique mapping to an element in the second set, and vice versa.

3. What is a prime ideal in mathematics?

A prime ideal is a special type of ideal in a ring that satisfies the property that if the product of two elements is in the ideal, then at least one of the elements must also be in the ideal. This is analogous to the concept of prime numbers in the integers.

4. How are prime ideals of R and D^-1R related?

A bijection between the prime ideals of R and D^-1R is a one-to-one correspondence that maps each prime ideal in R to a unique prime ideal in D^-1R. This means that there is a direct relationship between the prime ideals in these two rings.

5. Why is studying bijections between prime ideals of R and D^-1R important?

Studying bijections between prime ideals of R and D^-1R allows us to better understand the relationship between these two rings and how they are related. This can provide insights into the structure and properties of these rings, and can also be useful in solving problems in other areas of mathematics.