Prime and Maximal Ideals in PIDs ... Rotman, AMA Theorem 5.12

In summary, Rotman is discussing a proof of Theorem 5.12. He argues that if ##p## is irreducible, then either ##a## or ##p## are associates. If ##a## is in ##I##, then ##p|a## and together with the earlier-observed ##a|p## makes ##p,a## associates. If ##a## is not in ##I##, then ##b\in I## in which case ##b=pc## for some ##c##. So ##p=pca##.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Joseph J. Rotman's book: Advanced Modern Algebra (AMA) and I am currently focused on Section 5.1 Prime Ideals and Maximal Ideals ...

I need some help with understanding the proof of Theorem 5.12 ... ...Theorem 5.12 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=61cd73afb237213fbd511810f1e3a61d.png

In the above text Rotman writes the following:" ... ... If ##(p) \subseteq J = (a)##, then ##a|p##. Hence either ##a## and ##p## are associates, in which case ##(a) = (p)##, or ##a## is a unit, in which case ##J = (a) = R##. ... ... ... "My question is as follows:Rotman argues, (as I interpret his argument), that ##a|p## implies that either ##a## and ##p## are associates ... or ... ##a## is a unit ...Can someone please explain (slowly and clearly
smile.png
) why this is the case ... ... ?Hope someone can help ... ...

Peter

Attachments

• Rotman - AMA - Theorem 5.12    ....png
    Rotman - AMA - Theorem 5.12 ....png
    15.1 KB · Views: 536
Physics news on Phys.org
I have been reflecting on my question and believe the answer is something like the following:Firstly ... we are given that ##p## is irreducible ...

Now ... ##p## irreducible

##\Longrightarrow p## is non-zero and ##p## not a unit ... and ... where ##p## equals a product,

say, ##p = ra## ... then one of ##a## and ##r## is a unit ...Now, ##a|p \Longrightarrow p = ra## for some ##r \in R##

So then we have that:

##p## irreducible and ##p = ra \Longrightarrow## one of ##a## and ##r## is a unit ...

If ##r## is a unit then ##a## and ##p## are associates ... ...

... otherwise ##a## is a unit ...
Can someone confirm that this is correct ... or alternatively point out shortcomings and errors in the analysis ...

Peter

We have ##a|p## so ##p=ba## for some ##b##. Since ##p\in I=(p)## and ##I## is a prime ideal, it must be the case that either ##a## or ##b## is in ##I##.

If ##a\in I## we have ##p|a## which, together with the earlier-observed ##a|p## makes ##p,a## associates.

If ##a\not\in I## then ##b\in I## in which case ##b=pc## for some ##c##. So ##p=pca##. We write this as
$$0=p-pca=p(1-ca)$$
and since ##p\neq 0## and a PID is an Integral Domain, we must then have ##1-ca=0##, whence ##ca=1## so ##a|1##, making ##a## a unit.

Likes Math Amateur
Math Amateur said:
Can someone confirm that this is correct ... or alternatively point out shortcomings and errors in the analysis ...
That reasoning looks sound to me. It's a different route from mine, as yours explicitly uses the irreducibility of ##p## whereas mine uses the primeness of the ideal ##I##. I suspect the connection between the two lies in the proof of Proposition 5.6. But either one will suffice.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks Andrew ... your posts were REALLY helpful ...

Appreciate your help on this issue ...

Peter

Related to Prime and Maximal Ideals in PIDs ... Rotman, AMA Theorem 5.12

What is a prime ideal in a PID?

A prime ideal in a PID (Principal Ideal Domain) is an ideal that is both proper and prime. This means that it is a subset of the ring that is not equal to the entire ring, and for any two elements a and b in the ring, if their product is in the ideal, then at least one of the elements must also be in the ideal.

What is a maximal ideal in a PID?

A maximal ideal in a PID is an ideal that is both proper and maximal. This means that it is a subset of the ring that is not equal to the entire ring, and it is not contained in any other proper ideal of the ring. In other words, it is the largest possible ideal in the ring.

What is the AMA Theorem 5.12?

The AMA Theorem 5.12, also known as the "Ascending Chain Condition for Principal Ideals" theorem, states that in a PID, any ascending chain of principal ideals eventually stabilizes. This means that there exists a finite number of principal ideals that can be generated from a given element in the PID.

How are prime and maximal ideals related in a PID?

In a PID, every maximal ideal is also a prime ideal. However, the converse is not always true. This means that every maximal ideal is a prime ideal, but not every prime ideal is necessarily a maximal ideal.

What is the significance of prime and maximal ideals in PIDs?

Prime and maximal ideals play a crucial role in the structure and properties of PIDs. They help to classify the elements in the ring and can be used to determine if a ring is a PID or not. They also have important applications in algebraic number theory and algebraic geometry.