Localization - D&F Proposition 38., part (2)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
In summary: You write:"But $rx \in I$ (since $I$ is an ideal, and $x \in I$), and $dx \in D$ (since $D$ is multiplicative, and $x \in D$)."I wasn't sure why $rx \in I$ and $dx \in D$.Peter This is because $I$ is an ideal, and $x \in I$. Since $I$ is closed under multiplication and addition, we know that $rx \in I$ for any $r \in R$. Similarly, since $D$ is closed under multiplication and inversion, we know that $dx \in D$ for any $d \
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote,, Section 15.4: Localization.

I am working on Proposition 38 - see attachment page 709 (also see attachment page 708 for definitions of \(\displaystyle ^eI \) and \(\displaystyle ^cJ \).

I am having some trouble proving the second part of Section (2), which D&F leave largely to the reader.

Proposition 38, Section 15.4, page 709 reads as follows:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(2) For any ideal I of R we have

\(\displaystyle ^c{(^eI)} = \{ r \in R \ | \ dr \in I \) for some \(\displaystyle d \in D \} \)

Also \(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}R \) if and only if \(\displaystyle I \cap D \ne \emptyset \)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can follow the proof of the first part of the above. However, for the proof of the second part - viz.:

\(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}R \) if and only if \(\displaystyle I \cap D \ne \emptyset \)

D&F write "The second assertion of (2) then follows the definition of I' (where we have I' set equal to \(\displaystyle \{ r \in R \ | \ dr \in I \) for some \(\displaystyle d \in D \} \).

Can someone help me show (formally & rigorously) that \(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}R \) if and only if \(\displaystyle I \cap D \ne \emptyset \) and thus help me to see how this follows easily from the definition of I'

Hope someone can help.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
One part of this is relatively easy:

Let $x \in I \cap D$. Then we have:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx) \in {}^eI$, which shows that $D^{-1}R = {}^eI$.

The reverse implication is a bit more complicated. Let's show first that $I'$ is indeed an ideal of $R$.

If $r,r' \in I'$ there exist $d,d' \in D$ such that: $rd,r'd' \in I$.

Hence $(r - r')(dd') = d'(rd) - d(r'd') \in I$, since $I$ is an ideal.

Since $dd' \in D,\ r - r' \in I'$, which shows $(I',+)$ is a subgroup of $(R,+)$.

If $r \in I'$ and $a$ is any element of $R$, we have for some $d \in D$:

$rd \in I$, so $a(rd) = (ar)d \in I$, showing $ar \in I'$.

Now if ${}^eI = D^{-1}R$, for any $d \in D$ we know that $d/1 \in {}^eI$.

But this means that $d \in {}^c({}^eI) = I'$ so for some other element

$d' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I$. Since $dd' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I \cap D$.

Deveno said:

The reverse implication is a bit more complicated. Let's show first that $I'$ is indeed an ideal of $R$.

Since $dd' \in D,\ r - r' \in I'$, which shows $(I',+)$ is a subgroup of $(R,+)$.

Appreciate the help, Deveno.

Working through your post now.

Peter

Deveno said:

Hi Deveno,

You write:

"Let $x \in I \cap D$. Then we have:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx) \in {}^eI$, which shows that $D^{-1}R = {}^eI$."

I am having trouble following this argument. Can you help by being more explicit regarding the logic involved.

Peter

Any element of $D^{-1}R$ is $r/d$ for some $r \in R$ and $d \in D$.

Since:

$d'(r(dx) - d(rx)) = 0$ for any $d' \in D$ it is clear that:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ for any $x \in D$ (including the one we know exists in $I \cap D$).

But $rx \in I$ (since $I$ is an ideal, and $x \in I$), and $dx \in D$ (since $D$ is multiplicative, and $x \in D$).

So $r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ is an element of $D^{-1}R$ where the "numerator" is in $I$, and the "denominator" is in $D$, that is, an element of $D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

This shows $D^{-1}R \subseteq D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

Since ${}^eI$ is clearly a subset of $D^{-1}R$, we have equality.

Deveno said:
Any element of $D^{-1}R$ is $r/d$ for some $r \in R$ and $d \in D$.

Since:

$d'(r(dx) - d(rx)) = 0$ for any $d' \in D$ it is clear that:

$r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ for any $x \in D$ (including the one we know exists in $I \cap D$).

But $rx \in I$ (since $I$ is an ideal, and $x \in I$), and $dx \in D$ (since $D$ is multiplicative, and $x \in D$).

So $r/d = (rx)/(dx)$ is an element of $D^{-1}R$ where the "numerator" is in $I$, and the "denominator" is in $D$, that is, an element of $D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

This shows $D^{-1}R \subseteq D^{-1}I = {}^eI$.

Since ${}^eI$ is clearly a subset of $D^{-1}R$, we have equality.

Thanks Deveno ... yes, followed most of that ... most helpful ... just one further issue ...

I may be reacting too quickly here ... but from my reading of Sharp and also D&F, the extension of an ideal I to \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) is defined as the ideal \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) generated by \(\displaystyle \pi (I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \)

So \(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi(I).D^{-1}R \)

Is this correct?

So I am concerned to see exactly how/why \(\displaystyle ^eI \) becomes \(\displaystyle D^{-1}I \)? That is, why exactly can \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) be regarded as composed of elements r/d where \(\displaystyle r \in R \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \)?

Can you clarify?

Peter

Peter said:
Thanks Deveno ... yes, followed most of that ... most helpful ... just one further issue ...

I may be reacting too quickly here ... but from my reading of Sharp and also D&F, the extension of an ideal I to \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) is defined as the ideal \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) generated by \(\displaystyle \pi (I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \)

So \(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi(I).D^{-1}R \)

Is this correct?

So I am concerned to see exactly how/why \(\displaystyle ^eI \) becomes \(\displaystyle D^{-1}I \)? That is, why exactly can \(\displaystyle \pi(I).D^{-1}R \) be regarded as composed of elements r/d where \(\displaystyle r \in R \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \)?

Can you clarify?

Peter

Hi Deveno,

I have been reflecting on the above post, concerning my question as to why we would choose to regard:

\(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi (I).D^{-1}R \) ... ... ... (1)

as

\(\displaystyle ^eI = D^{-1}I \) ... ... ... (2)

So, for the above notation in (2) to make sense and be coherent, we need to show that the definition (1) above leads to elements being of the form b/d where \(\displaystyle b \in I \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \).

Now, \(\displaystyle \pi : \ R \to D^{-1}R \) is of the form \(\displaystyle \pi(r) = r/1 \) for \(\displaystyle r \in R \).

Therefore elements of the ideal generated by \(\displaystyle \pi(I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) are of the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a_1}{1}\frac{r_1}{d_1} + \frac{a_2}{1}\frac{r_2}{d_2} + ... \ ... + \frac{a_n}{1}\frac{r_n}{d_n} \) where \(\displaystyle a_i \in I, r_i \in R \) and \(\displaystyle d_i \in D \).

So then elements of the ideal generated by \(\displaystyle \pi(I) \) in \(\displaystyle D^{-1}R \) are of the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{a_1r_1}{d_1} + \frac{a_2r_2}{d_2} + ... \ ... + \frac{a_nr_n}{d_n} \)

But since \(\displaystyle \pi (I).D^{-1}R \) is an ideal and also I is an ideal, the above elements are of the form:

\(\displaystyle \frac{b_1}{d_1} + \frac{b_2}{d_2} + ... \ ... + \frac{b_n}{d_n} = \frac{b}{d} \) where \(\displaystyle b_i \in I \) and \(\displaystyle d_i \in D \)

Thus the elements of \(\displaystyle ^eI = \pi (I).D^{-1}R \) are of the form \(\displaystyle \frac{b}{d} \) where \(\displaystyle b \in I \) and \(\displaystyle d \in D \) and so we can sensibly view \(\displaystyle ^eI \) as \(\displaystyle D^{-1}I \).

Can you confirm that the above reasoning is correct?

Peter

Yes..."loosely speaking", we want numerators in $I$, denominators in $D$.

The contraction does the opposite: we want the numerators of the elements in $J$, more precisely the pre-image under the ring homomorphism:

$\pi: R \to \pi(R) \subseteq D^{-1}R$

of the set $J \cap \pi(R)$.

Suppose we take $R = \Bbb Z$ with $D = \{2^n\}$. let's look at the extension of $I = (3)$. Note that $I \cap D = \emptyset$.

Well the direct images under $\pi$ of the elements of $(3)$ are rational numbers of the form:

$\dfrac{3k}{1}$. Multiplying by one of the "inverses" of $D$, we get fractions of the form:

$\dfrac{3k}{2^m}$

Let's add two of these together. We'll assume $n = m + m'$:

$\dfrac{3k}{2^m} + \dfrac{3k'}{2^n} = \dfrac{3k 2^{m'}}{2^n} + \dfrac{3k'}{2^n}$

$= \dfrac{3k 2^{m'} + 3k'}{2^n} = \dfrac{3k''}{2^n}$

where $k'' = k 2^{m'} + k' \in \Bbb Z$.

If we multiply a "typical" element by any element of $D^{-1}R$, we get:

$\dfrac{a}{2^{m'}}\dfrac{3k}{2^m} = \dfrac{3(ak)}{2^{m+m'}}$

On the other hand, consider the ideal $J$ in $D^{-1}R$ generated by $\dfrac{3}{1}$.

Clearly this ideal contains $\dfrac{1}{2^n}\dfrac{3}{1} = \dfrac{3}{2^n}$

for any $n \in \Bbb N$ (from the multiplicative property of an ideal), and repeated sums of such elements gives us any element:

$\dfrac{3k}{2^n}$.

Since $(3)$ is a prime ideal of $\Bbb Z$, we know that $\left(\dfrac{3}{1}\right)$ is a likewise a prime ideal of $D^{-1}R$, but this can also be shown directly:

If: $\dfrac{ab}{2^{m+m'}} = \dfrac{3k}{2^n}$

one of $a,b$ must be a multiple of $3$ (use "cross-multiplication" (since we have an integral domain for $R$) to get a relation between integers).

It turns out that $D^{-1}R$ preserves "almost all" the properties of $\Bbb Z = R$ except that factors of 2 "disappear" into the denominators (in the ring of dyadic fractions, 2 is no longer prime, as it becomes a unit...we have created (loosely speaking) "a ring out of odd numbers" (something that is not possible in the integers alone)).

Personally, I conjecture that this construction is the origin of the phrase: "what are the odds?"...a game of chance might typically have an outcome space of $2^m$ events, in which case the chance that a certain desired outcome will occur is the ratio of two odd numbers: if you have a 1 in 4 chance of winning, the odds are 3 to 1.

Deveno said:

Hi Deveno,

I was just working carefully through the above post again to ensure that I understood it all ... but found I did not completely follow one of the steps in your logic ...

You write:

"Now if ${}^eI = D^{-1}R$, for any $d \in D$ we know that $d/1 \in {}^eI$.

$d' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I$. Since $dd' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I \cap D$."Can you clarify exactly why \(\displaystyle {}^c({}^eI) = I' \).Peter

Peter said:
Hi Deveno,

I was just working carefully through the above post again to ensure that I understood it all ... but found I did not completely follow one of the steps in your logic ...

You write:

"Now if ${}^eI = D^{-1}R$, for any $d \in D$ we know that $d/1 \in {}^eI$.

$d' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I$. Since $dd' \in D$, we have $dd' \in I \cap D$."Can you clarify exactly why \(\displaystyle {}^c({}^eI) = I' \).Peter

Oh! ... how foolish of me ... \(\displaystyle {}^c({}^eI) = I' \) is the result of the first part of the proposition we are proving ... forgive me ... I am studying too myopically :-)

Peter

Related to Localization - D&F Proposition 38., part (2)

1. What is the purpose of localization in D&F Proposition 38?

Localization in D&F Proposition 38 refers to the process of adapting a product or service to a specific language, culture, and location. It aims to make the product more accessible and user-friendly for a specific target audience.

2. How does localization benefit businesses?

Localization can benefit businesses in several ways. It can help them reach a wider audience, increase customer satisfaction, and improve brand perception in different markets. It can also lead to increased sales and revenue by making the product more appealing and relevant to the local market.

3. What are the key elements of a successful localization strategy?

A successful localization strategy should consider cultural differences, language nuances, and user preferences in the target market. It should also involve thorough research and testing to ensure the product meets the needs and expectations of the local audience. Additionally, collaboration with native speakers and localization experts can greatly enhance the effectiveness of the strategy.

4. How does localization differ from translation?

Localization goes beyond translation by taking into account cultural and regional differences. It involves adapting not just the language but also the content, design, and functionality of a product to fit the target market. Translation, on the other hand, focuses solely on converting the text from one language to another.

5. What are the challenges of localization?

One of the biggest challenges of localization is ensuring accuracy and consistency across different languages and cultures. It can also be time-consuming and costly, especially for businesses with a global reach. Additionally, understanding and adapting to cultural nuances and preferences can be a complex task.