Limits of multivariable functions

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as x and y approach 0 in the function y^2*sin^2(x)/(x^4+y^4), and whether L'Hospital's rule can be used in this case. It is noted that approaching along a straight line may require the use of L'Hospital's rule, but approaching along a parabola may yield a different result.
Feodalherren

Homework Statement

The limit as x,y → 0

[itex]\frac{y^{2}Sin^{2}x}{x^{4}+y^{4}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

There are pretty straight forward but I have a general question about them. So say in the function above I let y=x and let x approach 0.

I get 0/0 - inconclusive. Can I fall back on single variable calculus and use L'Hospital's rule to find the limit? For some reason my gut tells me no.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you approach along a straight line, you would need to use L'Hospital's rule to find the limit. What happens if you approach along a parabola? Compare that to approaching along a straight line. What can you conclude?

Related to Limits of multivariable functions

1. What is a multivariable function?

A multivariable function is a mathematical function with more than one independent variable. In other words, the output of the function depends on multiple input variables.

2. What are the limits of multivariable functions?

The limits of multivariable functions refer to the behavior of the function as the input variables approach a particular value or as they approach infinity. This can help determine the behavior of the function at critical points and determine the continuity of the function.

3. How do you calculate limits of multivariable functions?

To calculate the limits of multivariable functions, you can use the same principles as calculating limits of single-variable functions. You can approach the limit along different paths and see if the function approaches a single value. If the limit approaches the same value along all paths, then the limit exists at that point.

4. What is the significance of limits in multivariable calculus?

Limits play a crucial role in multivariable calculus as they help determine the behavior and continuity of functions. They also help in understanding the behavior of a function at critical points and can be used to solve optimization problems.

5. How do limits of multivariable functions relate to partial derivatives?

Limits of multivariable functions and partial derivatives are closely related. In fact, partial derivatives can be thought of as the limits of multivariable functions as one of the independent variables approaches a particular value while holding the other variables constant. This relationship is important in the study of multivariable functions and their behavior.