Learn Physics w/ Feynman: Is it Still Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of Feynman's books on physics, with the conclusion that the basic concepts and principles in them are timeless and have not been disproven. They are also not advanced enough to be affected by any rapid changes in the field. The conversation also mentions that Feynman's approach of not including advanced concepts has contributed to the longevity of his book.
mayo
I'm interested in learning the fundamentals of physics, likely from Feynman's text. However, I'd like to know if there's anything in the Feynman that's been disproved since it was published as I'd hate to have to unlearn anything I didn't have to. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Feymann's books may be out of date, but I don't think anything in them has been found false. The trend in physics since around 1923 has been positive; older theories have been relegated to limited energy ranges but they haven't been disproven within those ranges. The basic stuff in Feynmann's elementary physics texts is timeless.

selfAdjoint said:
Feymann's books may be out of date, but I don't think anything in them has been found false. The trend in physics since around 1923 has been positive; older theories have been relegated to limited energy ranges but they haven't been disproven within those ranges. The basic stuff in Feynmann's elementary physics texts is timeless.

Let's extend that to December 14th,1900. :wink:

Well,the reason for which Feynman's book (as u may have known it is an improved version of a course on General Physics he used to teach for several years) is still valid and will be for a lotta time from now on is that the facts exposed there are NOT ADVANCED.He never mentions (aspects,results from) QFT and the QM chapter is taught at elementary level...
Yes,by not teaching things that had (at that time) the chance of suffering rapid & dramatic changes,Feynman assured immortality for his book.

PRICELESS! :cool:

Daniel.

:smile: All right, thanks a bunch, dextercioby and selfAdjoint. I'm sure I'll be back once I finish this puppy to ask about the next step/area I can learn about. Possibly, I will be back before then for clarification.

Related to Learn Physics w/ Feynman: Is it Still Current?

1. What is "Learn Physics w/ Feynman: Is it Still Current?"

"Learn Physics w/ Feynman: Is it Still Current?" is an online course that teaches the fundamentals of physics using lectures by the renowned physicist Richard Feynman. The course covers topics such as mechanics, electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

2. Is the course still relevant in today's scientific landscape?

Yes, the concepts and principles taught in the course are still used in modern physics research and applications. Feynman's approach to teaching physics is timeless and provides a solid foundation for understanding the subject.

3. Do I need any prior knowledge of physics to take this course?

No, the course is designed for beginners and assumes no prior knowledge of physics. However, a basic understanding of math and algebra will be helpful.

4. How is the course structured?

The course consists of a series of video lectures by Feynman, accompanied by exercises and quizzes to test your understanding. There are also supplementary materials such as notes and practice problems to help reinforce the concepts.

5. Can I interact with other students or ask questions during the course?

Yes, there is a discussion forum where you can interact with other students and ask questions. There is also a team of instructors who are available to answer any questions or provide additional support.