FLP Original Course Handouts at The Feynman Lectures Website

In summary, the first large collection of FLP-related content posted at The Feynman Lectures Website was 744 pages of FLP classroom handouts donated by one of Feynman's former students. These handouts were not published online until 2012, and a year later, the online edition of FLP was published. The FL Website then moved to Caltech and the original presentation of the handouts was left in place while a new and improved presentation was created. Many of the homework and test problems assigned to Feynman's students were incorporated into exercise books published by Caltech.
codelieb
Hello, everyone.

The first large collection of FLP-related content posted at The Feynman Lectures Website was 744 pages of FLP classroom handouts (including laboratory guidelines, descriptions of experiments, homework, quizzes and exams, lecture summaries and outlines) donated by one of Feynman's former undergraduate students, Dennis Oberg. Dennis loaned his set of handouts to Ralph Leighton for him to copy, back in 2006.

Ralph scanned all 744 pages, one at a time on a flatbed scanner (a big job!). Since at first we had hoped to include the material in a commercial product we did not publish it online at the FL Website until 2012. A year later we published the online edition of FLP, and shortly after that the FL Website moved to Caltech, changing its address from "www.feynmanlectures.info" to "www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu."

The 'FLP Original Course Handouts' was the most popular material posted at the old .info website, and remains very popular today at Caltech. However, the original presentation, which was generated by (now defunct) Microsoft FrontPage leaves a lot to be desired. I wanted to do better justice to the material and make it more accessible. So, for the past few months I've been working on a new presentation based on the deep-zoom image technology we currently use to present the FLP lecture photos and Feynman's FLP notes. The new presentation can be found here:

(A link can also be found on the homepage of the FL Website.)

For the time being I am leaving the original presentation in place as part of the /info section of the FL website (which is a copy of the old .info site, as it was before we published the online edition of FLP) because Google informs me there are several hundred links from other websites to the pages of the original presentation, and I don't want to break them, though in the future I might redirect those links to the new presentation.

Best regard,
Mike Gottlieb
Editor, The Feynman Lectures on Physics New Millennium Edition
www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu

• Love
Likes hmmm27, TSny, vanhees71 and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm curious what proportion of the problems in the "Homework and Tests" section made it into "Exercises for the Feynman lectures on Physics" (which I sadly don't have to hand outside of term time)?

Likes vanhees71
I don't know the answer to that question offhand, but for sure, many of the homework and test problems assigned to Feynman's students were incorporated into the exercise books published by Caltech.

Likes vanhees71 and ergospherical

1. What is the FLP Original Course Handouts at The Feynman Lectures Website?

The FLP Original Course Handouts at The Feynman Lectures Website is a collection of handouts and materials used by physicist Richard Feynman during his famous "Feynman Lectures on Physics" course at the California Institute of Technology in the 1960s. These handouts cover a wide range of topics in physics and provide additional explanations and examples to supplement the lectures.

2. Are the FLP Original Course Handouts available for free?

Yes, the FLP Original Course Handouts are available for free on The Feynman Lectures website. They can be accessed and downloaded by anyone interested in learning more about physics and Feynman's teaching methods.

3. How can the FLP Original Course Handouts be used?

The FLP Original Course Handouts can be used as a supplement to the original Feynman Lectures on Physics books or as standalone materials for self-study. They can also be used by educators as additional resources for teaching physics concepts in the classroom.

4. Are the FLP Original Course Handouts still relevant today?

Yes, the FLP Original Course Handouts are still relevant today as they cover fundamental concepts in physics that are still widely studied and used in modern science. However, some of the information may be outdated due to advancements in the field.

5. Can I contribute to the FLP Original Course Handouts?

Yes, the FLP Original Course Handouts are open to contributions from the public. If you have additional materials or corrections to existing handouts, you can submit them to The Feynman Lectures website for review and potential inclusion in the collection.