A guide to Feynman diagrams in the many-body problem

In summary: Now something more serious. Page 43, about the expressions that are after eq. 319.Mattucks claims that ##H\approx (m+m_e)c^2 + \frac{p^2}{2m} - \frac{m_e}{(m_e+m)m}p^2 - \frac{p^4}{8(m+m_2)^3c^2}##. But I do not get that at all! I get that this would be true if some of the masses were either 0 or infinity, but this is certainly not what Mattuck had in mind.Had Mattuck made a mistake here? If so, how can
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm trying to go through Mattuck's book "A guide to Feynman diagrams in the many-body problem", the Dover's 2nd edition book.

I have read that apparently it has been criticized for being way too easy. I'm having an extremely hard time going through the 3rd chapter, let alone the 4th! I feel like it started as 1+1=2, then next page there are ##10^{23}## Feynman diagrams thrown in your face. The learning curve is steeper than a skyscraper.

Nevertheless, I created this thread to point out possible mistypes and errors of the book. And also for you people to help me out when I'm lost.

Here are my current comments:
Page 53, in the right hand side of expression 3.49, should ##(t-t')## be ##\delta(t-t')##? (I guess so, trivially).

Page 28:
Mattuck said:
(...) and consider just ##P(r_2,r_1)##; this is the probability that if the particle begins at ##r_2##, it will finish at ##r_2## regardless of the time
. Should it read "(...) the particle begins at ##r_1##(...)"? Again, I guess so, trivially.

(I do remember having spotted another typo, but I forgot where).

Now something more serious. Page 43, about the expressions that are after eq. 319.
Mattucks claims that ##H\approx m_0c^2+\frac{p^2}{2m_0}-\frac{p^4}{8m_0^3c^2}## and that if we define ##m_0=m+m_e##, one gets that ##H\approx (m+m_e)c^2 + \frac{p^2}{2m} - \frac{m_e}{(m_e+m)m}p^2 - \frac{p^4}{8(m+m_2)^3c^2}##. But I do not get that at all! I get that this would be true if some of the masses were either 0 or infinity, but this is certainly not what Mattuck had in mind.
Had Mattuck made a mistake here? If so, how can we fix it so that his assertion holds: namely that this latter Hamiltonian has the form of eq. 319 (except for the unimportant constant)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have no clue of what you are talking about ahahahah (I'm just an engineer :smile:)

Anyway I noticed the following:

1)
fluidistic said:
if we define ##m=m+m_e##
Shouldn't it be ##m_0 = m + m_e##? just a typo but, you know, to be sure...

2) I think it is missing a "2" in the denominator of
## - \frac {m_e} {(m_e + m)m} p^2##

Because otherwise the identity comes from:

$$ + \frac {p^2} {2m} - \frac {m_e} { \mathbf 2 (m_e + m)m} p^2 = \frac {p^2(m_e + m) - m_ep^2}{2 (m_e + m)m} = \frac {p^2m}{2 (m_e + m)m} = \frac {p^2}{2 (m_e + m)} = \frac {p^2} {2m_0}$$

Likes fluidistic
dRic2 said:
I have no clue of what you are talking about ahahahah (I'm just an engineer :smile:)

Anyway I noticed the following:

1)
Shouldn't it be ##m_0 = m + m_e##? just a typo but, you know, to be sure...

2) I think it is missing a "2" in the denominator ofBecause otherwise the identity comes from:

$$ + \frac {p^2} {2m} - \frac {m_e} { \mathbf 2 (m_e + m)m} p^2 = \frac {p^2(m_e + m) - m_ep^2}{2 (m_e + m)m} = \frac {p^2m}{2 (m_e + m)m} = \frac {p^2}{2 (m_e + m)} = \frac {p^2} {2m_0}$$
Yes for 1), I've edited my post.
Thanks a lot for 2), I hadn't figured that out! That makes sense...

I now have a general question. If we consider diagrams such as the one in p.54, why are some ##k_1## and ##k_2## labels omitted? Would it be wrong to place the labels on every single term of the infinite series? Why is there a ##k_1## label but no ##k_2## label on the 1st term? Is it a lazy/sloppy omission or is there anything deep I'm missing?

Related to A guide to Feynman diagrams in the many-body problem

1. What is the purpose of Feynman diagrams in the many-body problem?

Feynman diagrams are a visual representation of the mathematical calculations used to describe the interactions between particles in a many-body system. They help scientists understand and predict the behavior of complex systems by simplifying the calculations and providing a visual aid.

2. How are Feynman diagrams used in the many-body problem?

Feynman diagrams are used to calculate the probability amplitudes of different processes in a many-body system. These calculations are then used to determine the overall behavior of the system and make predictions about its properties.

3. What is the history behind Feynman diagrams?

Feynman diagrams were first introduced by physicist Richard Feynman in the 1940s as a way to simplify the complex mathematical calculations involved in quantum field theory. They have since become an essential tool in many areas of physics, including the study of many-body systems.

4. Can Feynman diagrams be used in other areas of science besides physics?

While Feynman diagrams were originally developed for use in physics, they have also been applied to other fields such as chemistry, biology, and economics. They can be a useful tool for understanding complex systems and making predictions about their behavior.

5. Are there any limitations to using Feynman diagrams in the many-body problem?

While Feynman diagrams are a powerful tool, they do have limitations. They are most useful for systems with a large number of particles, and they may not accurately represent certain interactions or processes. Additionally, they can become increasingly complex as the number of particles in a system increases, making calculations more difficult.