How Do You Solve This Differential Equation Without Initial Conditions?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the general form of e(r) for the given differential equation. One method involves recognizing it as an Euler-Cauchy form and using the characteristic equation to find the general solution. Another method is to use substitution and separation of variables to solve for e(r). Both methods result in the general form of e(r) being expressed as A*ln(r) + B.
judefrance
Help me please!

Can you help me to solve this:

(d² e(r)/dr²)+(1/r)*(d e(r)/dr)=0

There is no initials conditions, please use general form

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint:
Convince yourself of the following equality:
[tex]\frac{d^{2}e}{dr^{2}}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{de}{dr}=\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{de}{dr})[/tex]

Yes, but...

And, if i want to find the general form of e(r)?

You get:
[tex]\frac{d}{dr}(r\frac{de}{dr})=0[/tex]
This differential equation can be directly integrated to find the general solution.

Last edited:
Maybe this?

If I understand, you've made:
1/r*d/dr*(r*de/dr)=0
so:
d/dr*(r*de/dr)=0

If i integrate, i find:
e(r)=A*ln(r)+B

Wrong or not ?

Thanks

THANKS! you save me!

I would also do it this way:

Rewriting:

[tex]e''+\frac{1}{r}e'=0[/tex]

I would then multiply through by r^2:

[tex]r^2e''+re'=0[/tex]

I would recognize this as a d.e. of the Euler-Cauchy form:

[tex]x^2y''+axy' + by=0[/tex]

In the case of the given equation, a=1 and b=0. The characteristic equation for the Euler-Cauchy is:

[tex]m^2+(a-1)m+b=0[/tex]

In our case:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
m^2&=0\\
m&=0
\end{align*}
[/tex]

For the case of a real double root in the characteristic equation, the general solution for the Euler-Caucy is given as:

[tex]y=(A + B\ln x)x^m[/tex]

So in our case:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
e(r)&=(A + B\ln r)x^0\\
e(r)&=A + B\ln r
\end{align*}
[/tex]

I guess this solution depends on having the Euler-Cauchy form available to you in your course, which may not be the case.

Another way to do this problem is let u= e' so that u'= e" and the equation reduces to the separable first order equation u'+ (1/r)u= 0. Then du/u= -dr/r and so
ln(u)= -ln(r)+ C1 or u= e'= C1/r. Integrating again, e= C1ln|r|+ C2.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a quantity over time or space.

Why is solving differential equations important?

Solving differential equations is important because it allows us to model and understand complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It also helps in making predictions, designing systems, and finding optimal solutions.

What are the different methods for solving differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, integrating factors, and series solutions. The choice of method depends on the type and complexity of the differential equation.

What are initial value problems and boundary value problems?

An initial value problem (IVP) is a type of differential equation that has a specified initial condition, meaning the value of the solution at a specific point. A boundary value problem (BVP) is a differential equation that has specified values at both the starting and ending points. The solution to a BVP is a function that satisfies the differential equation and the boundary conditions.

How can I check if my solution to a differential equation is correct?

You can check the correctness of your solution by substituting it back into the original differential equation and seeing if it satisfies the equation. You can also use numerical methods, such as Euler's method, to approximate the solution and compare it to your solution.