Lack of Motivation: Tips for Better Studying

• Thread starter ghanar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motivation
In summary, the person is struggling with motivation and discipline in their studies, often waiting until right before exams to start studying. They also have a low amount of sleep and spend a lot of time playing computer games and surfing the internet. They are seeking advice on how to improve their study habits and motivation, and also considering the use of drugs or recipes to help with focus and concentration. They are advised to prioritize sleep, limit internet and game time, and find a supportive and honest person to talk to about their struggles. It is also suggested that they explore different disciplines if their major is causing difficulties with motivation.
ghanar
Hello, this is my first topic here.
I'm studying mathematics, this is my 2nd year and I have a problem about studying. In my life, I studied exams just before some days and I know that I should start to study regularly.
These days, I am spending my time with comp. games or surfing on the Internet.
I have 3.3/4 and I will keep it around 3.3
So, what do you suggest, how should I start, should I find a goal ?
(p.s I wake up at 6.30 am and usually sleep at 1.00 am, also generally feel dizzy at school :smile:)

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you enjoy what you are studying? Do you wake up wanting to go to class, or do you dread it? That could be a factor in why you don't want to study it. It might help if you study in groups too, usually studying alone is much less exciting and fulfilling

I was enjoying studying Number Theory. I came to half of the book and after that chapter, I did not understand theorems, proofs. They were like strangers to me, so, I looked for another proofs but nothing changed. So I stopped studying that. It was just a hobby. I do not like studying Linear Algebra, but I like Analysis and mostly Algebra.
My friends in the class just consider the grade, only work for exams. Moreover, studying with them is generally no-efficient, so I have to study alone..

I'd recommend talking to someone about it in person (not over the internet). Find someone (or some people) and be honest with them and try and talk to people who are biased and unbiased towards mathematics.

Generally would you say that your average sleep time is only 5 and half hours? Sleeping so little reduces willpower greatly. Have you tried adderall yet? lol. When you lack willpower, you tend to not be able to get into "flow" as easily and flow is what makes anything fun. Read up the wiki on "Flow" for more information.

Also exercise, eat well, have a stimulating social life = natural adderall.

Perhaps also, you may not be seeing what you are squandering and the consequences of your actions. You are obviously able and so many people would love to be in your position, so perhaps be more grateful and thus understand much more clearly what type of situation you are in.

Also, meditate for increased willpower, always be mindful.

Do those things first, and if everything is fine otherwise and it is your major that is causing your difficulties with motivation, then perhaps you should explore similar disciplines like engineering.

Maybe you are just burnt out and need a breather though. I could actually go on and suggest several more factors that may be contributing and if you want I will.

ghanar said:
In my life, I studied exams just before some days and I know that I should start to study regularly.

ghanar said:
My friends in the class just consider the grade, only work for exams.

These statements are incongruent. If you are only studying right before the exam then you, also, are only working for exams, right?

You need to sleep more - a lot more.

You don't realize it, but you are in a very dangerous situation. You're in your second year and classes are going to get a lot tougher now, but you have not yet established good study and lifestyle habits.

Push your reset button. Stop with the computer games, they don't enhance your life - in fact they just suck time from your life and leave you with nothing. Limit your internet time - you must get discipline now. Your grades are still good, don't waste all your effort.

IMO.

Likes 1 person
lisab said:
These statements are incongruent. If you are only studying right before the exam then you, also, are only working for exams, right?

You don't realize it, but you are in a very dangerous situation. You're in your second year and classes are going to get a lot tougher now, but you have not yet established good study and lifestyle habits.

Push your reset button. Stop with the computer games, they don't enhance your life - in fact they just suck time from your life and leave you with nothing. Limit your internet time - you must get discipline now. Your grades are still good, don't waste all your effort.

IMO.
+1
That's my opinion as well.

thank you for the advices.
Hierophant said:
Generally would you say that your average sleep time is only 5 and half hours? Sleeping so little reduces willpower greatly. Have you tried adderall yet? lol. When you lack willpower, you tend to not be able to get into "flow" as easily and flow is what makes anything fun. Read up the wiki on "Flow" for more information.

Also exercise, eat well, have a stimulating social life = natural adderall.

Perhaps also, you may not be seeing what you are squandering and the consequences of your actions. You are obviously able and so many people would love to be in your position, so perhaps be more grateful and thus understand much more clearly what type of situation you are in.

Also, meditate for increased willpower, always be mindful.

Do those things first, and if everything is fine otherwise and it is your major that is causing your difficulties with motivation, then perhaps you should explore similar disciplines like engineering.

Maybe you are just burnt out and need a breather though. I could actually go on and suggest several more factors that may be contributing and if you want I will.

I would like to learn other factors, please
Also you said 'adderal', I think to use some drug like it, which one do you suggest for rare use ? Any recipes that can make me more awake and concentrated ?

lisab said:

IMO.

I mean, I took linear algebra and I had to get nice grade but I did not take Number Theory. Studying NT was just a hobby.. So I'm saying that my friends always study for the lessons that we take, not the subjects like NT, etc.

Related to Lack of Motivation: Tips for Better Studying

1. What are some common reasons for lack of motivation while studying?

Some common reasons for lack of motivation while studying include feeling overwhelmed, not seeing the relevance or purpose of the material, feeling bored or uninterested, and experiencing external distractions or personal issues.

2. How can I overcome a lack of motivation while studying?

One way to overcome a lack of motivation is to break down the material into smaller, more manageable chunks. Setting specific and achievable goals can also help increase motivation. Additionally, finding ways to make the material more interesting or relevant, such as connecting it to personal interests or goals, can also be helpful.

3. Is it normal to experience a lack of motivation while studying?

Yes, it is normal to experience a lack of motivation while studying. Everyone goes through periods of feeling unmotivated, and it is important to remember that it is a temporary feeling and can be overcome with the right strategies.

4. How can I stay motivated while studying for a long period of time?

To stay motivated while studying for a long period of time, it is important to take breaks and give yourself time to recharge. Setting a schedule and sticking to it can also help keep you on track and motivated. It can also be helpful to mix up your study methods, such as using flashcards or practice quizzes, to keep things interesting.

5. What if I still can't find the motivation to study?

If you are struggling to find motivation to study, it may be helpful to seek support from a friend, family member, or tutor. They can offer encouragement and help hold you accountable. It may also be beneficial to speak with a counselor or therapist if you are experiencing underlying issues that are impacting your motivation.