Is Yellow Submarine Still a Must-Watch 50 Years Later?

In summary, the conversation was about the 50-year-old movie "Yellow Submarine" which features The Beatles and their iconic music. The speakers discussed how it was different from traditional Disney animation and how they enjoyed the music and references to the song "Day in a Life." One of them remembered a scene with Paul having a hole in his pocket, but it turns out that part was incorrect. They both have seen the movie and enjoyed it, with one of them mentioning the "Blue Meanies" as well. Overall, it's a unique and trippy film that has stood the test of time.
Helios
I realized that this movie is now 50 years old. That goes for anything else in 1968 of course. This was animation quite different from Disney. A really good band did the music too. Have we seen this movie?

Likes Charles Link
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I saw the movie and enjoyed it. I think it's been at least 25 years since I last saw it, but isn't there a scene in there where Paul has a hole in his pocket, and then starts singing "Day in a Life": abut how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall? That part I may have incorrect, but I also remember the "Blue Meanies". :) :)## \\ ## Edit: I was able to google this=I did get the part right about Paul having a "hole in his pocket, but apparently no "Day in a Life" song. In listening to the conversation though, they do mention a couple of phrases from that song.

Last edited:

Yes, I have seen this movie! It's "Yellow Submarine," the animated film featuring The Beatles and their iconic music. It's definitely a unique and trippy experience compared to traditional Disney animation, but it's a classic in its own right. The music is fantastic and adds so much to the overall experience. It's amazing to think that it's been 50 years since its release. Time flies!

Related to Is Yellow Submarine Still a Must-Watch 50 Years Later?

What is the significance of the "Yellow Submarine" movie turning 50 years old?

The "Yellow Submarine" movie was released in 1968 and is considered a landmark in the history of animation and film. It was one of the first animated films to combine traditional hand-drawn animation with innovative techniques such as rotoscoping and psychedelic imagery. Its success also helped to popularize the use of music in animated films, paving the way for future collaborations between musicians and animators.

Was "Yellow Submarine" a critical and commercial success when it was released?

Yes, "Yellow Submarine" was both a critical and commercial success when it was released in 1968. It received positive reviews from critics who praised its innovative animation and soundtrack, and it was also a box office hit, grossing over $30 million worldwide.

Who were the main collaborators behind the creation of "Yellow Submarine"?

The movie was a joint effort between the animation studio, TVC London, and the band, The Beatles. The animation was directed by George Dunning, with character designs by Heinz Edelmann. The Beatles were involved in the creation of the film's soundtrack and also made a brief live-action appearance at the end of the movie.

What impact did "Yellow Submarine" have on popular culture?

"Yellow Submarine" had a significant impact on popular culture, particularly in the 1960s. Its unique animation style and use of psychedelic imagery influenced other animated films and television shows, and it also inspired the creation of music videos. The movie's soundtrack, featuring popular Beatles songs, also helped to cement the band's status as cultural icons.

Are there any special events or celebrations planned for the 50th anniversary of "Yellow Submarine"?

Yes, there are several events and celebrations planned for the 50th anniversary of "Yellow Submarine." These include screenings of the movie in theaters, special editions of the film on DVD and Blu-ray, and commemorative merchandise. The Beatles are also releasing a new graphic novel adaptation of the film, featuring artwork by Bill Morrison.