Hello to y'all with interest in all these great subjects

• Thread starter unRheal
  • Start date
In summary, for those interested in a variety of subjects, there are many resources available to expand your knowledge and understanding. From online courses and lectures to books and podcasts, there is no shortage of ways to explore new and fascinating topics. With a curious mind and a willingness to learn, the possibilities are endless for expanding your horizons.
unRheal
Hi All,
I'm friendly, but my knowledge is largely picked up and/or by taking college courses that I was interested in. My first A was in Math 8 (elementary was useless), but then I went to another school in a completely different city and they were doing stuff that was completely greek to me, I tried, but failed miserably. From day one, to the final day, not a thing he said or did made any sense.

Then I came back to my original High School for Grade 10.. they were doing stuff similar to the stuff the guys in the other city were doing last year, so I was still *lost* - and failed miserably. I think (was like 35 years ago) they put me in gr 11 math or something.. but what really happened was they got a new math teacher. He was THE Best teacher I've ever had, and I've had 2 or 3 really good ones. I failed but kept taking his classes to get what I could out of it.

After High School (I did horribly, but got to the end of gr. 12) I waited till I was old enough to get into college on a "mature student" basis. Take some quick tests and I'm in. I just took what I wanted here and there, and finally got into the "Computer Systems Technologist" program at a local college. It was a 2 year program, and I took it for 2 years, but got about half of it done.

I can't do a full course load, because I'm too slow (not too stupid) so I took all the courses of the program that I wanted, and then I was out of money and in debt anyway so I went and got a job. several years later I went back to the same college and re-took Calculus, since I was thinking of my old math teacher. That was the second A I ever got. (I got one more in C programming, something well over 95% but can't recall if it was before or after the Calculus one)

So I'm looking for ways to learn I *really* want to understand quantum mechanics (and have for decades, but it was like wanting to fly to the sun it seemed)

But now I'm old(er?) and not much works except my brain and it's quite rusty. I think I might be able to pull it off if I live at least another 10 or 15 years and find the right path.

Any help from anyone is Very much appreciated. Message me any time.

I briefly went over the posting guidelines, but I'm only here to learn, and maybe take some online courses (but will of course still post homework in the appropriate forum, etc.) I'll do my best to do the Right Thing. If I make a mistake please tell me, and I guarantee it'll never happen again.

I could say a lot more, but my life is pretty boring and way off the normal social grid.
If you've even read this far, I'm impressed... and…Thanks.
- Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!
unRheal said:
So I'm looking for ways to learn I *really* want to understand quantum mechanics (and have for decades, but it was like wanting to fly to the sun it seemed)
But now I'm old(er?) and not much works except my brain and it's quite rusty. I think I might be able to pull it off if I live at least another 10 or 15 years and find the right path.
Where there is a will, there is a way. If you are still interested in learning QM, you might want to have a look at the Academic Guidance section and the Science and Maths Textbooks forum. You may also start a new thread in the former section, stating your background (in maths, especially), and members should be able to help you.