Question via email about complex numbers

In summary, when mapping the region $\left|z\right| \geq 5$ under the mapping $w = z^2$, the resulting region is a circle centered at the origin with a radius of 5 units or greater. This is due to the fact that $z$ can be written as $r\,\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,\theta}$, and when squared, the magnitude of $z$ becomes $r^2$. Therefore, the region defined by $w = z^2$ includes everything on or outside the circle with a radius of 25 units.
Prove It
Gold Member
MHB
Plot the image of the region $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z \right| \geq 5 \end{align*}$ under the mapping $\displaystyle \begin{align*} w = z^2 \end{align*}$.

We should note that we can write any complex number as $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = r\,\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,\theta} \end{align*}$ where $\displaystyle \begin{align*} r = \left| z \right| \end{align*}$ and $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \theta = \textrm{arg}\,\left( z \right) + 2\,\pi\,n , \,\, n \in \mathbf{Z} \end{align*}$. So that means

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} z &= r\,\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,\theta} \\ \\ z^2 &= \left( r\, \mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i}\,\theta} \right) ^2 \\ &= r^2\,\mathrm{e}^{2\,\mathrm{i}\,\theta} \end{align*}$

thus if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z \right| = r \geq 5 \end{align*}$ then that means $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z^2 \right| = r^2 \geq 25 \end{align*}$. Since $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \theta \end{align*}$ can take on any value, that means that $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2\,\theta \end{align*}$ also can, and thus the region defined by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} w = z^2 \end{align*}$ must be everything on or outside of the circle defined by $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z^2 \right| \geq 25 \end{align*}$, so in other words, everything on or outside the circle centred at the origin of radius 25 units.

So graphically we have (using the standard convention of shading the region that is not required)...

View attachment 5663

Attachments

• complex number graph.JPG
    complex number graph.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 84
Likes benorin
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Essentially correct except that 25 is the radius squared. So make it a circle radius 5.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Question via email about complex numbers

1. What are complex numbers and how are they different from real numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. The real part is a regular number, while the imaginary part is a multiple of the imaginary unit i, which is defined as the square root of -1. Unlike real numbers, complex numbers can be represented as points on a two-dimensional plane, known as the complex plane.

2. How are complex numbers used in science and mathematics?

Complex numbers are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. In physics, they are used to describe quantities such as electric and magnetic fields. In engineering, they are used to solve problems in circuit analysis and signal processing. In mathematics, they are used in advanced calculus, differential equations, and Fourier analysis.

3. What is the standard form of a complex number?

The standard form of a complex number is a + bi, where a is the real part and b is the imaginary part. This form is also known as the rectangular form, as it corresponds to a point on the complex plane with coordinates (a, b).

4. How do you add, subtract, multiply, and divide complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real and imaginary parts separately. To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method, just as you would with binomials. To divide complex numbers, you must multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator, which is found by changing the sign of the imaginary part. For example, the complex conjugate of a + bi is a - bi.

5. Can complex numbers be graphed on a number line?

No, complex numbers cannot be graphed on a number line because they have both real and imaginary components. Instead, they are graphed on a two-dimensional plane, known as the complex plane, where the horizontal axis represents the real part and the vertical axis represents the imaginary part.