Effie's question via email about Complex Numbers

In summary, by converting the given complex number into polar form and using the properties of argument, we can determine that the argument of ##z^5## is equal to ##-\frac{\pi}{4}##.
Prove It
Gold Member
MHB
If $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z = -2 + 2\,\mathbf{i} \end{align*}$ what is $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arg}\,\left( z^5 \right) \end{align*}$?

First let's write this number in its polar form.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z \right| &= \sqrt{\left( -2 \right) ^2 + 2^2} \\ &= \sqrt{4 + 4} \\ &= \sqrt{8} \\ &= 2\,\sqrt{2} \end{align*}$

and as the number is in Quadrant 2

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arg}\,\left( z \right) &= \pi - \arctan{ \left| \frac{2}{-2} \right| } \\ &= \pi - \arctan{ \left( 1 \right) } \\ &= \pi - \frac{\pi}{4} \\ &= \frac{3\,\pi}{4} \end{align*}$

thus we can say

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} z &= -2 + 2\,\mathrm{i} \\ &= 2\,\sqrt{2}\,\mathrm{e}^{ \frac{3\,\pi}{4}\,\mathrm{i} } \\ z^5 &= \left( 2\,\sqrt{2}\,\mathrm{e}^{\frac{3\,\pi}{4}\,\mathrm{i}} \right) ^5 \\ &= 128\,\sqrt{2}\,\mathrm{e}^{ \frac{15\,\pi}{4}\,\mathrm{i} } \end{align*}$

so that means $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z^5 \end{align*}$ makes an angle of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{15\,\pi}{4} \end{align*}$ with the positive real axis, but as we define $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arg}\,\left( Z \right) \in \left( -\pi , \pi \right] \end{align*}$, that means we keep adding or subtracting integer multiples of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2\,\pi \end{align*}$ until we have an angle in this region.

Thus $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arg}\,\left( z^5 \right) = -\frac{\pi}{4} \end{align*}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Prove It said:
First let's write this number in its polar form.

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| z \right| &= \sqrt{\left( -2 \right) ^2 + 2^2} \\ &= \sqrt{4 + 4} \\ &= \sqrt{8} \\ &= 2\,\sqrt{2} \end{align*}$

and as the number is in Quadrant 2

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arg}\,\left( z \right) &= \pi - \arctan{ \left| \frac{2}{-2} \right| } \\ &= \pi - \arctan{ \left( 1 \right) } \\ &= \pi - \frac{\pi}{4} \\ &= \frac{3\,\pi}{4} \end{align*}$

thus we can say

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} z &= -2 + 2\,\mathrm{i} \\ &= 2\,\sqrt{2}\,\mathrm{e}^{ \frac{3\,\pi}{4}\,\mathrm{i} } \\ z^5 &= \left( 2\,\sqrt{2}\,\mathrm{e}^{\frac{3\,\pi}{4}\,\mathrm{i}} \right) ^5 \\ &= 128\,\sqrt{2}\,\mathrm{e}^{ \frac{15\,\pi}{4}\,\mathrm{i} } \end{align*}$

so that means $\displaystyle \begin{align*} z^5 \end{align*}$ makes an angle of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{15\,\pi}{4} \end{align*}$ with the positive real axis, but as we define $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arg}\,\left( Z \right) \in \left( -\pi , \pi \right] \end{align*}$, that means we keep adding or subtracting integer multiples of $\displaystyle \begin{align*} 2\,\pi \end{align*}$ until we have an angle in this region.

Thus $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \textrm{arg}\,\left( z^5 \right) = -\frac{\pi}{4} \end{align*}$.
This problem is solved correctly.

Well, we can see that ##\arg (z) = \frac{3\pi}{4}## by considering its position in the plane. Then ##arg (z^5) = \frac{15\pi}{4} = -\frac {\pi}{4}##.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

Related to Effie's question via email about Complex Numbers

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of a real part and an imaginary part. They are typically written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part (with i being the square root of -1). Complex numbers are used in mathematics and science to represent quantities that cannot be expressed using only real numbers.

2. Why are complex numbers important?

Complex numbers are important because they allow us to solve equations and problems that cannot be solved with only real numbers. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer science. In addition, they have numerous applications in signal processing, electrical circuits, and quantum mechanics.

3. How do you add and subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, we simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, to add (3 + 2i) and (1 + 4i), we add 3 and 1 to get the real part (4), and add 2i and 4i to get the imaginary part (6i). The result is (4 + 6i).

4. Can complex numbers be multiplied and divided?

Yes, complex numbers can be multiplied and divided. To multiply two complex numbers, we use the distributive property and the fact that i squared equals -1. For example, to multiply (3 + 2i) and (1 + 4i), we get (3 + 2i)(1 + 4i) = 3 + 12i + 2i + 8i squared = (3 - 8) + (12 + 2)i = -5 + 14i. To divide complex numbers, we use the same principles and rationalize the denominator if necessary.

5. How are complex numbers used in the real world?

Complex numbers have numerous applications in the real world. For example, they are used in electrical engineering to analyze alternating current circuits, in signal processing to analyze signals, and in computer science to represent and manipulate complex data. They are also used in physics and quantum mechanics to describe and model physical phenomena. Additionally, complex numbers are used in probability and statistics to represent and analyze random variables.