Is there a reliable way to get feedback on poetry online?

• Thread starter MaxS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Review
In summary, someone mentioned a site where you can submit poetry for review. They suggest reading and critiquing five poems before posting, and that WritingForums.com may be able to help.
MaxS
I realize this is insanely out of place on the physics forums but:

Does anyone know of a way to submit poetry for review/critique whether by peers or professionals without being scammed by the numerous sites on the net? I've been looking for a while now and figured maybe someone here could help - or hell if you guys aren't too opposed to the idea maybe i could just post it in this thread if anyone wants to take a crack at me =).

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah, give us a taste.
There's also plenty of poetry forums for that purpose and more. You may have to search around to find a good group of people (like here at PF :biggrin: ). I was on a very nice one (and several lame ones), but I can't remember the name of it. Everypoet looks promising.

one of my favorite sites used to be zoetrope.com. this is a site Francis Ford Coppola's movie studio came up with. It is designed for writers and actors. They have a poetry section. If you want to submit your poem for critique you need to read and critique 5 poems. Then you are allowed to post yours. I submitted several short stories there and got some invaluable help.

www.writingforums.com has people that may be able to critique your work. I can attempt to review your poem, but I'm not exactly a poet.

Hey guys thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it =). For the record here is one of my poems -

hold me here, in light
beyond the darkness hollow
fly me now on lucid wings
away from charnel depths agape
to somewhere stars can't follow

to sighing creek of juniper trees
take me there where sparrows' wings beat effervescent in june
take me there where indigo waters coallesce in failing light
upon mighty shores fiery as deepest bloom

be with me there
and I will show you darkness more brilliant than the sun

how's your self esteem?

My first thought was that your poem has good rhythm. After analyzing it, I believe that you may be limiting the angles from which you portray your theme. Furthermore, some of your imagery is weak and conflicting. I can give you a detailed analysis later tonight or tommorow depending on time.

Related to Is there a reliable way to get feedback on poetry online?

1. Can I trust the feedback I receive on online poetry forums?

The reliability of feedback on online poetry forums can vary greatly. It is important to consider the credentials of the person providing the feedback and the quality of their own work. It can also be helpful to seek out multiple opinions to get a well-rounded perspective on your poetry.

2. How do I know if the feedback I receive is constructive or just criticism?

Constructive feedback typically offers specific suggestions for improvement and highlights both strengths and weaknesses in the poetry. On the other hand, criticism tends to focus solely on flaws and may not offer any helpful advice. Look for feedback that is balanced and offers actionable suggestions.

3. Are online poetry workshops a reliable way to get feedback?

Online poetry workshops can be a great way to receive feedback from a community of writers. However, it is important to do your research and choose a workshop that is reputable and has a structured feedback process. It is also helpful to participate in discussions and provide feedback to others in order to receive quality feedback in return.

4. How do I handle negative or harsh feedback on my poetry?

Negative or harsh feedback can be difficult to receive, but it can also be valuable in helping you improve your writing. Take a step back and objectively evaluate the feedback. If it is valid, use it to make revisions and improve your poetry. If you feel the feedback is unjustified, it is okay to ignore it and move on.

5. Is it better to get feedback from fellow poets or from non-writers?

Both fellow poets and non-writers can provide valuable feedback on your poetry. Fellow poets may have a deeper understanding of the craft and can offer technical advice. Non-writers can offer a fresh perspective and may be able to identify areas that may be confusing or unclear to a general audience. Ultimately, it is beneficial to receive feedback from both groups to get a well-rounded view of your poetry.