Question on starting a thread in S&D

• Thread starter mangaroosh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary: The purpose of the Skepticism and Debunking Forum is to consider advertised product claims, and claims of and evidence for unexplained phenomena. Thoughtful speculation and explanations are welcome. Overly speculative or unscientific theories and irrational interpretations of evidence will be deleted without explanation.
mangaroosh
Hey guys,

I recently started a thread that linked to a website challenging the interpretation of the null resutl of the MMX, as well as Relativity; the thread was subsequently deleted. The purpose of this thread isn't to find out why, as I was made aware of the reason; instead I am just wondering if the guy who owns the site were to start a thread outlining the experiment he conducted, which he says challenges the interpretation of the null result of the MMX, would that satisfy the rules for posting here in S&D?

I have been in email contact with him, and he has said that he has submitted his work for peer review, but that little consideration is given to his findings, much like the way threads here are deleted without consideration. I am not questioning that policy, as I understand that if every crackpot were to be allowed get on his soapbox there would be no room for the sensible theories, but I'm sure that people can recognise how genuine challenges can slip through the net as a result of this policy.

Just having read the posting guidelines for S&D I was wondering, if he were to outline his experiment and his findings would it comply with the rules:
The purpose of the Skepticism and Debunking Forum is to consider advertised product claims, and claims of and evidence for unexplained phenomena. Thoughtful speculation and explanations are welcome. Overly speculative or unscientific theories and irrational interpretations of evidence will be deleted without explanation.

Please feel free to share any personal experiences that seem to involve the unexplained. We welcome and value your sincere contributions to the forum. After all, the first step in understanding any phenomenon is observation. You may or may not find that explanations are forthcoming.

Please advise, and if it would be "kosher" for him to present his case here, I will let him know.

cheers,
roosh.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not part of the mission of PF to provide an alternative to the peer review process for scientific research.

jtbell said:
It is not part of the mission of PF to provide an alternative to the peer review process for scientific research.

How about a supplement to it?

mangaroosh said:
How about a supplement to it?
Skepticism and debunking is not for independant research. You seem to have not read the rules.

we do not explore mainstream subject matter; and in particular, we do not explore new ideas about physics.

Last edited:

I understand the importance of open and respectful discussion when it comes to challenging scientific findings and theories. However, it is also important to adhere to certain standards and guidelines in order to maintain the integrity of the scientific process.

In this case, it is important to consider the source of the information and the validity of the experiment before allowing it to be presented in a forum such as S&D. Has the experiment been published in a reputable scientific journal? Has it undergone peer review by experts in the field? These are important factors to consider when evaluating the credibility of the findings.

Furthermore, it is important to keep in mind that the purpose of S&D is to discuss advertised product claims and unexplained phenomena, not to promote personal theories or unscientific interpretations of evidence. If the individual in question can present their experiment and findings in a respectful and scientifically sound manner, then it may be appropriate for them to post in the forum. However, if their intentions are to promote personal beliefs rather than engage in meaningful discussion, it may not be appropriate for them to post.

Ultimately, the decision should be based on the guidelines and purpose of the forum, as well as the credibility and validity of the information being presented. As a community, it is important to maintain a balance between open-mindedness and skepticism in order to have productive and meaningful discussions.

What is the purpose of starting a thread in S&D?

The purpose of starting a thread in S&D (Science and Discovery) is to initiate a discussion on a specific topic related to science or scientific research. This allows individuals to share their knowledge, opinions, and perspectives on the subject, leading to a better understanding and exploration of the topic.

How do I start a thread in S&D?

To start a thread in S&D, you can click on the "Start New Thread" button on the S&D forum page. This will open a form where you can enter the title of your thread and the content you want to include. Make sure to choose the appropriate category and provide a clear and concise title for your thread.

What should I include in my thread in S&D?

Your thread in S&D should include a clear and specific topic related to science or scientific research. It should also provide background information, relevant data or sources, and your perspective or opinion on the topic. Including questions or prompts can also help to stimulate discussion among other participants.

How can I make my thread in S&D more engaging?

To make your thread in S&D more engaging, you can include visuals such as images, videos, or graphics to support your topic. You can also use formatting tools such as bold or italicized text, bullet points, and headings to break up the content and make it easier to read. Additionally, responding to comments and actively participating in the discussion can make your thread more interactive and engaging.

Are there any rules or guidelines for starting a thread in S&D?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines for starting a thread in S&D. These can vary depending on the specific forum or platform you are using. Some general guidelines include choosing a relevant and appropriate topic, using respectful language and tone, avoiding plagiarism, and following any specific formatting or word count guidelines. Make sure to read the forum rules and guidelines before starting a thread to ensure your post is in compliance.