Teaching Myself Physics the Hard Way

In summary: These are both texts that are graduate level but have an incredibly detailed and slow-paced explanation of the material. However, they are excellent resources for understanding the mathematical underpinnings of physics.
harts
Hi Physics Forum!

I want you guys to help me out. I want to learn physics the hard way.

Let me explain. I'm currently finishing my sophomore year at Colorado School of Mines. I am majoring in Engineering Physics. I'm doing great in school. I've signed up for SPS and APS - Physics Today should be coming in the mail soon and I have access to the Physical Review (although I haven't got the smallest idea what any of the articles are saying). I have a flexible job that helps me pay for school. And I just got hired as an intern for a company that specializes in RF and microwave design. Practically speaking, I'm very happy with how things are going.

But I feel like I'm hitting a roadblock. The relevant material I encounter online while studying for my modern physics class is either oversimplified or way beyond what I currently understand - with the former being far more prevalent. I type in lorentz transformation and I get yet another 1-dimensional train analogy. As wonderful as that thought experiment is, I feel like I need a more thorough approach if I really want to get better at this subject.

You know what I mean? I don't want Einstein made easy or relativity made simple - rather, I want a resource that has no mercy with regard to math. I wouldn't have majored in physics if I didn't want to learn math. I want a book - preferably something online - that is very methodical, and has to be read extremely slowly. I feel like that's the only way to get truly good at physics.

I've done a decent amount of math. So far, I've done Single and Multi Variable Calc, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations. As far as I know, these are the building blocks for learning things like quantum mechanics (with linear algebra being most important for QM, but I could be wrong here). What's next? When I walk through the halls of the physics building, or poke around online, I see stuff that looks like complete gibberish to me, and I wonder how far I am from learning it.

So, PF, can you tell me? How can I learn physics the hard way?

Oh and feel free to link me to another similar thread.

Physics news on Phys.org
Which textbook does your modern physics course use?

Modern Physics, 6th edition, by Paul Tipler and Ralph Llewellyn

harts said:
But I feel like I'm hitting a roadblock. The relevant material I encounter online while studying for my modern physics class is either oversimplified or way beyond what I currently understand - with the former being far more prevalent. I type in lorentz transformation and I get yet another 1-dimensional train analogy. As wonderful as that thought experiment is, I feel like I need a more thorough approach if I really want to get better at this subject.

This is an unfortunate part of where you are in your physics education. The material covered in modern physics is often far to complex to explain at a medium level, so you get cheap analogies and algebraic expressions for everything.

You know what I mean? I don't want Einstein made easy or relativity made simple - rather, I want a resource that has no mercy with regard to math. I wouldn't have majored in physics if I didn't want to learn math. I want a book - preferably something online - that is very methodical, and has to be read extremely slowly. I feel like that's the only way to get truly good at physics.

Be careful what you wish for, like I said above, these topics can be very advanced mathematically and physically. These are not things that you can jump into at a graduate level with no prep and expect to understand. No matter how many times you try to read through it.

So, PF, can you tell me? How can I learn physics the hard way?

Well, it depends on what level (undergrad, upper undergrad, grad, research) you wish to know stuff at. What topics are particularly interested in getting a better understanding of? People can better direct you to resources if they know what you're looking for.

Get a book on differential geometry or read the last chapter of either Taylor - Classical Mechanics or Griffiths - Electrodynamics.

Related to Teaching Myself Physics the Hard Way

1. What is "Teaching Myself Physics the Hard Way"?

"Teaching Myself Physics the Hard Way" is a self-study program that focuses on learning physics through challenging problems and hands-on experiments. It is designed for individuals who are motivated to learn physics on their own and are willing to put in the effort to understand the concepts deeply.

2. Is it possible to learn physics without a formal education?

Yes, it is possible to learn physics without a formal education. "Teaching Myself Physics the Hard Way" provides a structured and rigorous approach to learning physics, making it possible for individuals to gain a solid understanding of the subject without attending a traditional classroom setting.

3. What are the benefits of learning physics the hard way?

Learning physics the hard way can provide a deeper understanding of the subject, as it requires more effort and critical thinking. It also helps develop problem-solving skills, which are essential in the field of science. Additionally, it allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on areas that they find most challenging.

4. Do I need a strong background in math to learn physics the hard way?

While a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not a requirement for learning physics the hard way. The program provides a comprehensive review of the necessary mathematical concepts and techniques used in physics, making it accessible to individuals with varying levels of math proficiency.

5. Can I use "Teaching Myself Physics the Hard Way" as a supplement to my formal physics education?

Yes, "Teaching Myself Physics the Hard Way" can be used as a supplement to a formal physics education. It can provide additional practice and a different perspective on the concepts learned in a classroom setting. It can also be a helpful resource for review and deeper understanding of certain topics.