Is the Set Linearly Independant?

In summary: Yes, you can use Gaussian elimination if you want. That's probably the easiest way to solve this problem.In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a set of vectors in a real vector space. The question was whether the given set was linearly independent or not. After discussing the definition of linear independence and the idea of spanning a space, it was determined that the set was not linearly independent. The conversation then touched on the use of the Wronskian and solving systems of equations to show linear dependence. Ultimately, Gaussian elimination was suggested as the most efficient method for solving this problem.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Let V be a real vector space and [tex]{b_1,b_2,b_3,b_4}[/tex] a linearly independent set of vectors in V
Is the set [tex]\left \{ b_1,b_2,b_3,b_1+b_4,b_2+b_4 \right \}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\alpha_1b_1+\alpha_2b_2+\alpha_3b_3+\alpha_4\left \{ b_1+b_4 \right \}+\alpha_5\left \{ b_2+b_4 \right \} =0[/tex]

Rearranging

[tex]b_1(\alpha_1+\alpha_4)+b_2(\alpha_2+\alpha_5)+b_3(\alpha_3)+b_4(\alpha_4+\alpha_5)=0[/tex]
Hence it is NOT linearly independant since the scalars are all not 0...?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi there,

It's been a while since I've done this, and I'm sure that my methods are not sound but I think I have a pretty good idea of the answer here.

A set of vectors are linearly independent if you cannot write any on of the vectors in terms of any finite number of other vectors in the set. I can see right now that b2 + b4 = b2 + (b1 + b4) - b1

in other words if b1 = V1, b2 = V2...b2 +b4 = V5 then V5 = V2 + v4 - V1

Does that make sense to you?

And I think that if a set of vectors are linearly independent they span the space correct? And it seems illogical that a set of 4 vectors can span 5 space :)

ok, that makes sense. Thanks :-)

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Let V be a real vector space and [tex]{b_1,b_2,b_3,b_4}[/tex] a linearly independent set of vectors in V
Is the set [tex]\left \{ b_1,b_2,b_3,b_1+b_4,b_2+b_4 \right \}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\alpha_1b_1+\alpha_2b_2+\alpha_3b_3+\alpha_4\left \{ b_1+b_4 \right \}+\alpha_5\left \{ b_2+b_4 \right \} =0[/tex]

Rearranging

[tex]b_1(\alpha_1+\alpha_4)+b_2(\alpha_2+\alpha_5)+b_3(\alpha_3)+b_4(\alpha_4+\alpha_5)=0[/tex]
Hence it is NOT linearly independant since the scalars are all not 0...?
You're not quite finished. You need to show that all of the alpha's are necessarily equal to 0 if you want to show those vectors are linearly independent. Since the b's are independent, you know that equation can only be satisfied if
\begin{align*}
\alpha_1+\alpha_4 &= 0 \\
\alpha_2+\alpha_5&= 0 \\
\alpha_3&= 0 \\
\alpha_4+\alpha_5&= 0
\end{align*}If the only solution to this system is [itex]\alpha_i = 0[/itex] for i=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, the vectors are linearly independent. In this case, you'll find there are non-zero solutions to the system, so they are dependent.
dacruick said:
And I think that if a set of vectors are linearly independent they span the space correct? And it seems illogical that a set of 4 vectors can span 5 space :)
You're thinking of a basis, which consists of linearly independent vectors that span the space. Any set of vectors, independent or not, will span some space or subspace.

You're close though. There's a theorem that says if you have more vectors than the dimension of the space they're in, they have to be dependent. If you've already covered this theorem, you can use it as well to solve this problem.

vela said:
You're not quite finished. You need to show that all of the alpha's are necessarily equal to 0 if you want to show those vectors are linearly independent. Since the b's are independent, you know that equation can only be satisfied if
\begin{align*}
\alpha_1+\alpha_4 &= 0 \\
\alpha_2+\alpha_5&= 0 \\
\alpha_3&= 0 \\
\alpha_4+\alpha_5&= 0
\end{align*}If the only solution to this system is [itex]\alpha_i = 0[/itex] for i=1, 2, 3, 4, 5, the vectors are linearly independent. In this case, you'll find there are non-zero solutions to the system, so they are dependent.

Ok, do I use the Wronskian to find if the determinant is 0. if it is 0 then the vectors are linearly dependant? Thanks

No, the Wronskian has nothing to do with this problem. I think you simply mean you want to find the determinant of the coefficient matrix. If it's 0, the system is dependent. It's probably less work just to go ahead and solve the system of equations though.

but can one not use the Wonrskian in this problem? Anyhow, will I solve this using gaussian elimination?

Related to Is the Set Linearly Independant?

1. What is the definition of linear independence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors in the same set.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

A set of vectors is linearly independent if and only if the only solution to the equation a1v1 + a2v2 + ... + anvn = 0 is a1 = a2 = ... = an = 0, where a1, a2, ..., an are coefficients and v1, v2, ..., vn are the vectors in the set.

3. What is the significance of linear independence in linear algebra?

Linear independence is a fundamental concept in linear algebra as it allows for the expression of a vector space in a more compact and efficient manner. It also helps in solving systems of linear equations and finding bases for vector spaces.

4. Can a set of vectors be both linearly independent and linearly dependent?

No, a set of vectors cannot be both linearly independent and linearly dependent. A set is either linearly independent or linearly dependent, there is no third option.

5. How can you prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To prove that a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the definition and check if the only solution to the equation a1v1 + a2v2 + ... + anvn = 0 is a1 = a2 = ... = an = 0. You can also use the method of Gaussian elimination or determinants to determine linear independence.