Proving that a subset is a subspace

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary: Well, ##(\pm \sqrt{(3/5)a_2^2 - (6/5)a_3^2}) + (\pm \sqrt{(3/5)b_2^2 - (6/5)b_3^2}) \neq \pm \sqrt{(3/5)(a_2 + b_2)^2 - (6/5)(a_2 + b_2)^2}##, so is that enough to show that it is not closed under addition?
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Determine whether ##W = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2 \}## is a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To show that a subset of vector space is a subspace we need to show three things: 1) That the zero vector of R^3 is in W. 2) That W is closed under vector addition. 3) That W is closed under scalar multiplication.

1) if ##a_2 = 0## then ##a_1 = 0,~a_3 = 0##, so the zero vector is in W.
2) I'm not exactly sure how to clearly show this one. Here is my attempt: ##(a_1, a_2, a_3)+ (b_1, b_2, b_3) = (a_1 + b_1, a_2 + b_2, a_3 + b_3) = (3(a_2 + b_2), a_2 + b_2, -(a_2 + b_2))##, which is of the form of the vector defined in W.
3) Not exactly sure how to show this one either, but here is my attempt: ##c(a_1, a_2, a_3) = (ca_1, ca_2, ca_3) = (3(ca_2), ca_2, -(ca_2))##, which is of the form of the vectors in W.

Thus, W is a subspace of R^3

Is this a correct proof? Am I doing 2) and 3) right or is there a better way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether ##W = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : a_1 = 3a_3,~ a_3 = -a_2 \}## is a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To show that a subset of vector space is a subspace we need to show three things: 1) That the zero vector of R^3 is in W. 2) That W is closed under vector addition. 3) That W is closed under scalar multiplication.

1) if ##a_2 = 0## then ##a_1 = 0,~a_3 = 0##, so the zero vector is in W.
2) I'm not exactly sure how to clearly show this one. Here is my attempt: ##(a_1, a_2, a_3)+ (b_1, b_2, b_3) = (a_1 + b_1, a_2 + b_2, a_3 + b_3) = (3(a_2 + b_2), a_2 + b_2, -(a_2 + b_2))##, which is of the form of the vector defined in W.
Start with two vectors that clearly belong to W, such as ##u = <-3u_2, u_2, -u_2>## and ##v = <-3v_2, v_2, -v_2>##.

Edit: From the problem statement, I determined that all three coordinates are directly or indirectly related to the second coordinate, so I wrote all three coordinates in terms of the second.
Mr Davis 97 said:
3) Not exactly sure how to show this one either, but here is my attempt: ##c(a_1, a_2, a_3) = (ca_1, ca_2, ca_3) = (3(ca_2), ca_2, -(ca_2))##, which is of the form of the vectors in W.
Similar idea as above -- start with ##u = <-3u_2, u_2, -u_2>##.
Mr Davis 97 said:
Thus, W is a subspace of R^3

Is this a correct proof? Am I doing 2) and 3) right or is there a better way?

Last edited:
Likes Mr Davis 97
Mark44 said:
Start with two vectors that clearly belong to W, such as ##u = <-3u_2, u_2, -u_2>## and ##v = <-3v_2, v_2, -v_2>##.

Edit: From the problem statement, I determined that all three coordinates are directly or indirectly related to the second coordinate, so I wrote all three coordinates in terms of the second.
Similar idea as above -- start with ##u = <-3u_2, u_2, -u_2>##.
So what about for more complicated potential subspaces, such as ##W = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : 5a_1^2 - 3a_2^2 + 6a_3^2 = 0 \}##? Would adding specific solutions to see if it is closed be better than solving for ##a_1## and putting that into the tuple and adding that to another tuple of the same form to see if that's closed?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So what about for more complicated potential subspaces, such as ##W = \{(a_1, a_2, a_3) \in \mathbb{R}^3 : 5a_1^2 - 3a_2^2 + 6a_3^2 = 0 \}##? Would adding specific solutions to see if it is closed be better than solving for ##a_1## and putting that into the tuple and adding that to another tuple of the same form to see if that's closed?
You could solve for a1 in terms of the other two variables.

##a_1 = \pm \sqrt{(3/5)a_2^2 - (6/5)a_3^2}##
##a_2 = a_2##
##a_3 = a_3##
Now if you have two such vectors in this set, is their sum in the set? Is a scalar multiple of this vector in the set? I didn't check for a zero vector, since there is obviously such a vector in the set.

Mark44 said:
You could solve for a1 in terms of the other two variables.

##a_1 = \pm \sqrt{(3/5)a_2^2 - (6/5)a_3^2}##
##a_2 = a_2##
##a_3 = a_3##
Now if you have two such vectors in this set, is their sum in the set? Is a scalar multiple of this vector in the set? I didn't check for a zero vector, since there is obviously such a vector in the set.
Well, ##(\pm \sqrt{(3/5)a_2^2 - (6/5)a_3^2}) + (\pm \sqrt{(3/5)b_2^2 - (6/5)b_3^2}) \neq \pm \sqrt{(3/5)(a_2 + b_2)^2 - (6/5)(a_2 + b_2)^2}##, so is that enough to show that it is not closed under addition?

Related to Proving that a subset is a subspace

1. What is a subset?

A subset is a group of elements that are contained within a larger set. It is a smaller collection of objects that are all part of a larger collection.

2. How do you prove that a subset is a subspace?

To prove that a subset is a subspace, you need to show that it satisfies three conditions: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. This can be done by demonstrating that any combination of vectors within the subset will also result in a vector within the subset.

3. Why is it important to prove that a subset is a subspace?

Proving that a subset is a subspace is important because it allows us to make certain conclusions and apply theorems that only hold for subspaces. It also helps us better understand the properties and behavior of the larger set that the subset is a part of.

4. Can a subset be a subspace of more than one larger set?

Yes, a subset can be a subspace of more than one larger set. This is because the properties and behaviors of a subset are determined by the larger set it belongs to, so as long as it satisfies the three conditions for being a subspace, it can be a subspace of multiple sets.

5. How can you prove that a subset is not a subspace?

To prove that a subset is not a subspace, you can show that it does not satisfy one or more of the three conditions for being a subspace. This could include providing a counterexample or demonstrating that there is a combination of vectors within the subset that does not result in a vector within the subset.