M has the unit matrix at the upper left side and zero everywhere else

In summary: Great! Thank you! (Sun)In summary, the conversation is about finding a basis for a given matrix with a specific value for a variable and determining the rank of the matrix and its transpose. The summary explains the steps taken to find the desired basis and the final result.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :giggle:

Let $\lambda\in \mathbb{R}$ and \begin{equation*}a=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& \lambda & -\lambda \\ 0 & 1 & -1& \lambda & 2\\ 2 & 2 & 1 & 1 & 3\lambda-1 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & \lambda & 5\end{pmatrix}\in \mathbb{R}^{4\times 5}\end{equation*}
(a) Let $\lambda=1$. Determine a Basis $\mathcal{B}$ of $\mathbb{R}^5$ and a Basis $\mathcal{C}$ of $\mathbb{R}^4$, such that $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{C}}^{\mathcal{B}}(\phi_a)$ at the upper left side there is an unit matrix and elsewise zero.

(b) Determine the rank of $a$ and $a^T$.
For question (a) :

With $\lambda=1$ we get the matrix \begin{equation*}a=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1& 1 & 2\\ 2 & 2 & 1 & 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 5\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*}
Let $\mathcal{B}=\{b_1 , b_2, b_3, b_4, b_5\}$ and $\mathcal{C}=\{c_1 , c_2, c_3, c_4\}$.

It holds that \begin{equation*}\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{C}}^{\mathcal{B}}(\phi_a)=\left (\gamma_{\mathcal{C}}(\phi_a(b_1))\mid \gamma_{\mathcal{C}}(\phi_a(b_2))\mid \gamma_{\mathcal{C}}(\phi_a(b_3)) \mid \gamma_{\mathcal{C}}(\phi_a(b_4)) \mid \gamma_{\mathcal{C}}(\phi_a(b_5))\right )\end{equation*}
It holds also that $\gamma_{\mathcal{C}}(\phi_a(b_i))=\begin{pmatrix}\alpha_1 \\ \alpha_2\\ \alpha_3\\ \alpha_4\end{pmatrix}$ with $\phi_a(b_i)=\alpha_1\cdot c_1+\alpha_2\cdot c_2+\alpha_3\cdot c_3+\alpha_4\cdot c_4$.

That $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{C}}^{\mathcal{B}}(\phi_a)$ at the upper left side there is an unit matrix and elsewise zero, does it mean it must be of the form \begin{equation*}a=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0& 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} ? Or what does this mean?:unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
That $\mathcal{M}_{\mathcal{C}}^{\mathcal{B}}(\phi_a)$ at the upper left side there is an unit matrix and elsewise zero, does it mean it must be of the form \begin{equation*}a=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0& 0 & 0\\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} ? Or what does this mean?

Hey mathmari!

That's how I interpret it as well. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
That's how I interpret it as well. (Nod)

But how can we find the desired basis? Could you give me a hint? :unsure:

mathmari said:
But how can we find the desired basis? Could you give me a hint?
We must have for $i=1,\ldots,4$ that $a b_i = c_i$, and additionally that $a b_5=0$.
Furthermore, the $b_i$ must be independent, and the $c_i$ must be independent as well.
Beyond that we are free to pick $b_i$ and $c_i$ however we want.

Suppose we pick the $b_i$ to be unit vectors?
What will we get for the $c_i$ then? 🤔

Last edited:
Klaas van Aarsen said:
We must have for $i=1,\ldots,4$ that $a b_i = c_i$, and additionally that $a b_5=0$.
Furthermore, the $b_i$ must be independent, and the $c_i$ must be independent as well.
Beyond that we are free to pick $b_i$ and $c_i$ however we want.

Suppose we pick the $b_i$ to be unit vectors?
What will we get for the $c_i$ then? 🤔

When we pick the $b_i$ (you mean for $i=1,2,3,4$, or not?) to be unit vectors we have \begin{equation*}c_1=ab_1=\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}, \ c_2=ab_2=\begin{pmatrix}2 \\ 1 \\ 2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}, \ c_3=ab_3=\begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}, \ c_4=ab_4=\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}\end{equation*} So we have to check if these are linearly independent, if not we have to use the vectors $b_i$, right?

The vector $b_5$ must be such that $a b_5=0$ and independent from $b_1, \ldots , b_4$ so it cannot be a unit vector, can it?

:unsure:

mathmari said:
So we have to check if these are linearly independent, if not we have to use the vectors $b_i$, right?

The vector $b_5$ must be such that $a b_5=0$ and independent from $b_1, \ldots , b_4$ so it cannot be a unit vector, can it?
I guess we will have to find a non-zero vector $b_5$ that maps to the null vector. 🤔
As long as the other 4 vectors are independent from each other and from $b_5$ they should be good to go. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
I guess we will have to find a non-zero vector $b_5$ that maps to the null vector. 🤔
As long as the other 4 vectors are independent from each other and from $b_5$ they should be good to go. 🤔

\begin{align*}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1& 1 & 2\\ 2 & 2 & 1 & 1 & 2 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 5\end{pmatrix}& \ \overset{R_4:R_4-R_1}{\longrightarrow } \ \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1& 1 & 2\\ 2 & 2 & 1 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & -1 & -2 & 0 & 6\end{pmatrix}\\ & \ \overset{R_3:R_3-2\cdot R_1}{\longrightarrow } \ \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1& 1 & 2\\ 0 & -2 & 3 & -1 & 4 \\ 0 & -1 & -2 & 0 & 6\end{pmatrix} \\ & \ \overset{R_4:R_4+R_2}{\longrightarrow } \ \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1& 1 & 2\\ 0 & -2 & 3 & -1 & 4 \\ 0 & 0 & -3 & 1 & 8\end{pmatrix} \\ & \ \overset{R_3:R_3+2\cdot R_2}{\longrightarrow } \ \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1& 1 & 2\\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 8 \\ 0 & 0 & -3 & 1 & 8\end{pmatrix}\\ & \ \overset{R_4:R_4+3\cdot R_3}{\longrightarrow } \ \begin{pmatrix}1 & 2 &-1& 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -1& 1 & 2\\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & 8 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 4 & 32\end{pmatrix}\end{align*}
We get the equations \begin{align*}a+2b-c+d-e=&0 \\ b-c+d+2e =&0 \\ c+d+8e=&0 \\ 4d+32e=&0\end{align*}
Choosing for eample $e=1$ we get the vector $b_5=\begin{pmatrix}-3 \\ 6 \\ 0 \\ -8 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}$.

So the basis $B$ is $\left \{\begin{pmatrix}1\\ 0 \\ 0\\ 0\\ 0\end{pmatrix}, \ \begin{pmatrix}0\\ 1 \\ 0\\ 0\\ 0\end{pmatrix}, \ \begin{pmatrix}0\\ 0 \\ 1\\ 0\\ 0\end{pmatrix} , \ \begin{pmatrix}0\\ 0 \\ 0\\ 1\\ 0\end{pmatrix}, \ \begin{pmatrix}-3 \\ 6 \\ 0 \\ -8 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}\right \}$.

And the basis $C$ is $\left \{\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0 \\ 2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}, \ \begin{pmatrix}2 \\ 1 \\ 2 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}, \ \begin{pmatrix}-1 \\ -1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}, \ \begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 1 \\ 1 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}\right \}$, i.e. the columns of the matrix $a$, which are linearly independent as at the row echelon form there is no zero-row.

Is that correct? :unsure:

Looks correct to me. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Looks correct to me. (Nod)

Great! Thank you! (Sun)

Related to M has the unit matrix at the upper left side and zero everywhere else

1. What is a unit matrix?

A unit matrix, also known as an identity matrix, is a square matrix where all the elements on the main diagonal are equal to 1, and all other elements are equal to 0. It is denoted by the symbol "I".

2. What does it mean for M to have the unit matrix at the upper left side?

When M has the unit matrix at the upper left side, it means that the first row and first column of M consists of all 1s, while the rest of the elements in the matrix are 0. This is also known as a left or upper triangular matrix.

3. How is a unit matrix useful in mathematics?

A unit matrix is useful in mathematics because it serves as the identity element for matrix multiplication. When a matrix is multiplied by a unit matrix, the original matrix remains unchanged.

4. Can a matrix have a unit matrix at a different location?

Yes, a matrix can have a unit matrix at a different location other than the upper left side. For example, a right or lower triangular matrix would have the unit matrix at the bottom right side, while a diagonal matrix would have the unit matrix along the main diagonal.

5. How is a unit matrix related to the concept of linear transformations?

A unit matrix is closely related to the concept of linear transformations as it represents the identity transformation, which preserves the shape and orientation of a vector. In other words, when a vector is multiplied by a unit matrix, its direction and magnitude remain the same.