Is the Global Economy on the Brink of Collapse?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Future
In summary, the conversation revolves around the fear of a complete economic collapse leading to global chaos, riots, and violence. The person speaking is taking extreme measures such as withdrawing all their money and preparing for survival. Another person argues that this view is an overreaction and that economies operate on cycles. The conversation ends with a moderator shutting down the discussion due to its extreme nature.
The_Absolute
My fears for the future...

From what I have been reading for the past several months, I am starting to believe that the entire world's economy will collapse entirely. Every single market will be at zero points. If this happens, and there is 100% unemployment world wide, (that is almost seven billion people out of jobs) which will create global riots, looting, world martial law, people killing and robbing each other for food and water, arsons, civil war, global starvation, and much, MUCH worse.

I am taking all my money out of the banks, spending it ALL on food and water, batteries, gas masks for me and my family, weapons and ammunition, survivalist books, maps, etc...

Is this going to happen as I described it? Am I going to have to "live off the grid" or in some rural area to avoid the chaos? If so, for how long?

Physics news on Phys.org

The_Absolute said:
Every single market will be at zero points. If this happens, and there is 100% unemployment world wide, (that is almost seven billion people out of jobs) which will create global riots, looting, world martial law, people killing and robbing each other for food and water, arsons, civil war, global starvation, and much, MUCH worse.

If unemployment was at 100%, then the government would also be out of a job. So who would initiate the martial law?

I think this view is a quite an overeaction, to the current economic climate. Ever since the dawn of human civilization there has been jobs that need doing.

Economies operate on cycles, times of high economic growth and low economic growth sometimes even negative growth. The reason why this world recession has come as such a shock is because governments thought they had solved this problem, which they clearly have not.

Also I can't see how an ecomony would ever reach zero points for more than a short term period, purely because of the human instinct to spot a bargain. More people who spot the bargain the higher the demand higher the price etc etc.

In saying that there are a considerable number of people who already live like you described, so who knows.

That's an extreme overreaction.

Sorry, this is just too out of touch with reality for a thread. Locked.

Related to Is the Global Economy on the Brink of Collapse?

1. What are the biggest threats to our future?

The biggest threats to our future include climate change, global pandemics, nuclear war, and technological advancements that could potentially harm society.

2. How can we prepare for a potentially uncertain future?

We can prepare for an uncertain future by investing in sustainable solutions, promoting international cooperation, and continuously monitoring and addressing potential threats as they arise.

3. Are we running out of resources for future generations?

While some resources are finite, humans have a history of finding new solutions and adapting to changing circumstances. It is important for us to prioritize sustainable practices and conservation efforts to ensure resources are available for future generations.

4. Will advancements in technology ultimately harm society?

Advancements in technology can bring about both positive and negative impacts on society. It is important for us to carefully consider the potential consequences of new technologies and implement ethical guidelines to mitigate any potential harm.

5. How can we overcome our fears for the future?

One way to overcome fears for the future is to educate ourselves and stay informed about current events and potential threats. It is also important to focus on positive solutions and take action to create a better future for ourselves and future generations.