Is Teaching College Physics and Math the Right Fit for Me?

• Thread starter KeepActive
  • Start date
In summary, teaching college physics and math requires a strong understanding and passion for these subjects, as well as excellent communication and teaching skills. It is a demanding but rewarding career that offers the opportunity to shape and inspire the minds of future scientists and mathematicians. It is important to carefully consider your individual strengths and interests before pursuing this career path.
KeepActive
Hi, I'm a person with undergrad major in math with a physics minor. I graduated about a decade ago. I taught HS math briefly, but it wasn't the right fit (I liked teaching but not teaching kids that didn't want to learn, dealing with minors and their parents, or the 'culture' of HS teachers).

Currently, I am [unhappily] pursuing a non-technical grad program (i.e. business stuff to further my current career which also isn't the right fit). I've been tinkering with the idea of revisiting physics lately - i.e. earning a second undergrad major & then maybe a master's. I think that perhaps teaching some of our brightest junior college students who actual want to learn may be suitable for me.

A master's in physics would enable me to teach both math and physics whereas the converse isn't necessarily true. I hope to use this forum to test the waters and see if I'm interested enough to pursue a career change to college physics and math education.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
A warm welcome to PF.

In order to help you start, the following are the three main sections in PF. You should explore them well:

1. The main forums, that you see in the first page.
2. Insights Blog, available at the top row (header section). In short, they have been described as a "wonder of the web". It contains articles that help in learning topics to a great extent.
3. The Videos, also available in the header section. The media gallery now has some great videos in almost every aspect in science, and they provide an audio-visual learning experience.

Hope that we have got enough stuff here to motivate you once again for pursuing physics. You can have a look at the academic guidance and career guidance forums. In addition, the Educators and Teaching section might also be interesting for you, as you intend to return to a teaching profession.

In case you have any query, don't hesitate to start a thread in the appropriate section.

Enjoy your time here, and best of luck for your life ahead :smile:

With regards,
Wrichik.