Is Reflective Fiction a Potential Problem for Starships at High Speeds?

In summary, the conversation discusses a potential problem with starships traveling at near the speed of light. This problem is the dynamic Casimir effect, which occurs when a reflective object reaches relativistic velocities. This would cause the ship's bow to produce photons, resulting in drag that could be used to slow the ship down. However, there are concerns about the drag being overwhelmed by other factors such as interstellar atomic gas and dust and doppler-hardened EM radiation. Additionally, the amount of reflective material on the ship may not be significant compared to the ship's energy output.
dbmorpher
While the main problems of a functioning starship are commonly known such as energy requirements and radiation I have realized another problem when near the speed of light.
The dynamic Casimir effect occurs when a reflecting object reaches relativistic velocities.
Therefore a starship with a reflective bow will produce photons when the velocity approaches c.
So a drag will occour as the ship speeds up.
This drag could be used to slow the ship down but just like an airplane it must be overcome with force from the engine.
I don't know if this is the correct section to post in or even if my idea is right (I haven't done the math yet) but I just wanted you all to know of this possible problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
dbmorpher said:
So a drag will occur as the ship speeds up.
1] Is there any reason to think this drag would not be swamped to several orders of magnitude by friction from interstellar atomic gas and dust?
2] Is there any reason to think this drag would not be swamped to several orders of magnitude by the vanilla doppler-hardened EM radiation?
3] Space is awfully black. Just how much reflective fiction could there possibly be? The powerplant of this spaceship puts out more energy than a significant fraction of a civilized planet.

Related to Is Reflective Fiction a Potential Problem for Starships at High Speeds?

What is "A new problem with starships"?

"A new problem with starships" refers to a new issue or challenge that has arisen in the field of spacecraft and interstellar travel.

What are some potential consequences of this new problem?

The consequences of this new problem could vary depending on the specific issue. They could range from delays in space exploration missions to safety concerns for astronauts.

What caused this new problem to arise?

The cause of this new problem could also vary depending on the specific issue. It could be due to a technological limitation, a design flaw, or unforeseen environmental factors.

How are scientists and engineers working to solve this new problem?

Scientists and engineers are actively researching and developing potential solutions to this new problem. They may conduct experiments, simulations, or collaborate with other experts in the field to find a resolution.

What impact could this new problem have on the future of space exploration?

The impact of this new problem on the future of space exploration is still uncertain. However, it could potentially lead to advancements in technology and new discoveries as scientists and engineers work to overcome it.