Wall thickness of ring habitats for radiation shielding

In summary, one would need at least a 5-metre-thick water shield, and even that wouldn't be enough to protect against secondary gamma radiation and muonic radiation. So how much shielding do I need against those?
Strato Incendus
This is a topic that will be relevant for anyone who plans to use "realistic" artificial gravity (of the centrifugal kind, rather than the "acceleration-based" kind) in their stories - be it on spaceships or space stations:
How much of the ring walls has to be dedicated to radiation shielding?
(Assuming we would want to use water for shielding, since it has several advantages over e.g. a titanium shield.)

One scene in my story that used to be set on one of the rings of an interstellar spaceship would benefit from having the ring be a little wider - in terms of usable living space. (Some people are practicing to shoot with a bow and arrow, in case enough technology fails and they have to hunt with primitive means on the target planet again.
Google tells me that common shooting distances for archery competitions range from 18 to 70 metres (even though the overall range of the bow is of course much longer).
Shooting arrows along the curvature of the ring might not be a problem for the curvature itself, given the ring diametre of 500 metres (and the resulting circumference), depending on which deck you're standing on. But as I've been told by other users in past threads, projectiles of any kind will respond differently, depending on whether you should spinward or anti-spinward. Thus, shooting across the ring's width would be the closest approximation to shooting arrows on the surface of a planet.

So far, my rings have an inner width of 32 metres, an outer width of 64 metres. Meaning, the wall on each side is half as thick as the usable space in between (16 metres of shielding in both directions). The main reason for this was that I included security doors that can shut off sections of the ring, and those 16-metre-wide doors (which meet in the middle to block the corridor) need to fit into the walls.
Of course, their width could be reduced by having the doors consist of several segments that slide into each other. Another way to get more usable space inside each ring would be to essentially have the whole 64 metres as inner width; and then, only at the section doors, you'd have a setup (across the corridor) of: 16-metre-wide wall (containing the left door), 32-metre corridor, 16-metre-wide wall (containing the right door).

In short: Getting more usable space within the rings is actually the easy part.
What's harder to determine is how much wall I still need to reserve for shielding against all kinds of cosmic radiation.

Having 16-metre wide walls full of water on both sides of the ring seemed so excessive to me, but apparently, it's not: This article claims one would need at least a 5-metre-thick water shield, and even that wouldn't be enough to protect against secondary gamma radiation and muonic radiation. So how much shielding do I need against those?

Note that, in my ship design, the rings themselves are in between two large spheres with twice the diameter of the rings, and those large spheres contain a bunch of water tanks. The rings are perpendicular to the axis of the ship. So where otherwise, particularly hard radiation from the front (due to travelling at relativistic speeds) would hit the ring walls, the rings are already shielded against that by the water tanks in the fore and aft sphere. Obviously, this protection is required on both ends, since the ship will turn around for braking.

So in my case, we're really only talking about the thickness of water shielding required against the remaining cosmic radiation - the kind that hits the ship from all sides.
We would therefore probably also need a water shield in the floor of the ring (pointing outward).
The question is: Would we also need water shielding in the ceiling? Since that's the part of the ring pointing inwards.
So there's already lots of protective water on the other side of the ring. But of course, the radiation doesn't hit the rings at a straight angle only. So the ceiling would almost definitely also require the same amount of water shielding as the walls and the bottom floor of each ring.

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need all of it, plus around thirty percent.

What do you mean by “all of it”? All of the 16 metres of shielding, plus 30% (then we’d be at around 20 metres of shielding)? Or 5 metres plus 30%?

Strato Incendus said:
Shooting arrows along the curvature of the ring might not be a problem for the curvature itself, given the ring diametre of 500 metres (and the resulting circumference), depending on which deck you're standing on. But as I've been told by other users in past threads, projectiles of any kind will respond differently, depending on whether you should spinward or anti-spinward. Thus, shooting across the ring's width would be the closest approximation to shooting arrows on the surface of a planet.
I think shooting spinward (along the direction of the spin) would be the best approximation. Shooting across the width of the ring would cause the arrow to drop down and left/right (I think), not straight down like gravity does.

Strato Incendus said:
Having 16-metre wide walls full of water on both sides of the ring seemed so excessive to me, but apparently, it's not: This article claims one would need at least a 5-metre-thick water shield, and even that wouldn't be enough to protect against secondary gamma radiation and muonic radiation. So how much shielding do I need against those?
That 5-meter number is just for protecting against cosmic rays. Earlier, the article mentions the need for 10+ meter shielding just to protect the ship from stray gas particles impacting the ship at high c values. This same shielding can also be used to protect against cosmic rays, and really only needs to be this thick in the 'front' of the ship (direction of travel) since at high c values most radiation (and all the gas) impacts the ship from the front.

So you could place 10-20 meters of water shielding at the front end of the ring (if you didn't already have massive water tanks protecting the ring) and then have dozens of meters of habitable space behind it. The shielding everywhere else wouldn't need to be nearly as thick.

Strato Incendus said:
Note that, in my ship design, the rings themselves are in between two large spheres with twice the diameter of the rings, and those large spheres contain a bunch of water tanks. The rings are perpendicular to the axis of the ship. So where otherwise, particularly hard radiation from the front (due to travelling at relativistic speeds) would hit the ring walls, the rings are already shielded against that by the water tanks in the fore and aft sphere. Obviously, this protection is required on both ends, since the ship will turn around for braking.
If this is the case then it seems to me that you're mostly set. The water tanks shield the ring from the front/back, and since most of the incoming radiation will be striking from the front and back you don't need much shielding on the rings at all. If you really want to be safe then put 5 meters of water shielding everywhere with additional shielding over areas such as crew quarters, work areas, common areas, and other places where the crew spends a great deal of time.

Strato Incendus said:
The question is: Would we also need water shielding in the ceiling? Since that's the part of the ring pointing inwards.
Depends on how your ring is shaped. If the inside of the ring has line-of-sight to space through a clear area or an area with little to no shielding then you might need some depending on how large the area is. A ring that's essentially a cylinder whos ends are almost in contact with the fore and aft water tanks wouldn't need shielding at the top since the water tanks and the outer surface of the ring (the 'bottom') already shields it. But if you have a ring that's much shorter than the ship, where there's a lot of clear area that cosmic rays can pass through to strike the inner surface of the ring, then you would need additional shielding.

If you're really worried about the thickness of the shielding, just set it at 5 meters or something and handwave it away by saying that it's a solution of water and a radiation absorbing material of some sort that works better than just water itself. Perhaps a soluble lead solution or something.

Likes Strato Incendus
Thanks a lot! :smile:

The rings of course detach from the ship trunk at the very end, break up into sections, and enter the atmosphere. But at that point, of course the ship will no longer be travelling, but will only be stationary in the orbit of the destination planet.

The need to enter the atmosphere is the primary explanation for why the rings are as flat as they are (flatter than a space shuttle, in fact). The extendable wings will have to be hidden away inside the rings, and in order to curve around the ring while stuck inside it, they will have to consist of several segments.

In either case, at that point, the rings will no longer be shielded by the main tanks. But because the ship has come to a halt by then, the ring sections only need an amount of shielding similar to what a space station would have. Do you happen to know how much we are talking about here? :wink:

Likes Drakkith

1. What is the ideal wall thickness for a ring habitat for radiation shielding?

The ideal wall thickness for a ring habitat for radiation shielding depends on various factors such as the type and intensity of radiation, the duration of exposure, and the materials used for shielding. Generally, a range of 10-20 cm is considered sufficient for shielding against most types of radiation.

2. How does the wall thickness of a ring habitat affect its structural integrity?

The wall thickness of a ring habitat is an important factor in determining its structural integrity. A thicker wall can provide better protection against radiation but can also add extra weight and strain on the structure. It is essential to strike a balance between radiation shielding and structural integrity to ensure the safety and stability of the habitat.

3. Can the wall thickness of a ring habitat be adjusted for different levels of radiation?

Yes, the wall thickness of a ring habitat can be adjusted based on the level of radiation it needs to shield against. For instance, a habitat designed for high levels of radiation may have thicker walls compared to one designed for lower levels. It is important to consider the specific radiation exposure and tailor the wall thickness accordingly.

4. Are there any alternative materials that can be used for radiation shielding in ring habitats?

Yes, there are various alternative materials that can be used for radiation shielding in ring habitats, such as lead, polyethylene, and boron. These materials have different shielding capabilities and can be used in combination to achieve the desired level of protection. It is important to carefully select and test these materials to ensure their effectiveness in shielding against radiation.

5. How can the wall thickness of a ring habitat be tested for radiation shielding effectiveness?

The wall thickness of a ring habitat can be tested for radiation shielding effectiveness using various methods such as radiation dose measurements, computer simulations, and physical experiments. These tests can help determine the level of radiation that can penetrate the walls and assess the overall shielding effectiveness. It is crucial to regularly test and monitor the wall thickness to ensure the continued safety of the habitat.