Is Membership in Honor Societies Worth It?

• Thread starter unit_circle
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of joining honor societies and whether it is worth the cost. The speaker has been offered membership in a few societies, like Phi-Kappa-Phi, and is wondering if being a member would be a valuable addition to their resume. Some people believe honor societies are a scam, while others have had positive experiences with them. One person shares their personal experience of joining an honor society in high school and how it has not been useful yet. Another person suggests joining for potential networking and job opportunities, but acknowledges that it is primarily just resume-fodder. The conversation also mentions the benefits of joining honor societies, such as free tutoring and meeting new people. However, it is ultimately concluded that having a strong resume
unit_circle
I have been offered membership in a few honor societies, like Phi-Kappa-Phi. Is it worth it to join these societies? They cost money and I was wondering if being a member was a nice addition to my CV/Resume. On the face of it, these honor societies seem like a scam but I was wondering if anyone out there had experience with them. Thanks for any input.

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in high school, I was offered a membership to the Nation Honor Roll. So i paid and got this cool certificate. I'm yet to make use of it though. But I'd say go for it. Since Phi-Kappa-Phi has very elite membership requirements.

They're primarily just resume-fodder, but you might also meet some people who can hook you up with job opportunities. If you really need some extra items to put on your resume, go for it. The truth is that if you resume is already strong to begin with, no one's going to care about the honor societies.

- Warren

The coolest thing about joining Tau-Beta-Pi in my undergrad school was that we did free tutoring for other students. That was kind of fun. (Even though the main reason I joined was for resume-fodder.)

Related to Is Membership in Honor Societies Worth It?

1. Is being a member of an honor society important for my academic and career success?

Being a member of an honor society can provide valuable opportunities for networking, leadership development, and recognition for academic achievements. These experiences can enhance your resume and help you stand out in the competitive job market.

2. Will joining an honor society improve my chances of getting into graduate school?

Membership in honor societies can demonstrate your commitment to academic excellence and involvement in extracurricular activities, which are qualities that graduate schools often look for in applicants. Additionally, some honor societies offer scholarships and other resources that can help with the cost of graduate education.

3. How much does it cost to join an honor society?

The cost of joining an honor society can vary, but it typically includes a one-time membership fee and possibly annual dues. It's important to research the specific honor society you are interested in joining to determine the cost and any potential benefits or discounts.

4. Are there any specific criteria or requirements for joining an honor society?

Yes, each honor society has its own set of criteria and requirements for membership. These may include minimum GPA, class rank, or involvement in certain extracurricular activities. It's important to check the eligibility requirements before applying.

5. What are the benefits of being a member of an honor society?

Aside from the potential networking and career opportunities, being a member of an honor society can also provide access to exclusive events, workshops, and resources. Additionally, some honor societies offer lifetime membership, which can provide ongoing benefits and support even after graduation.