Do grad schools care about honor society memberships?

• Schools
  • Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grad Schools
In summary, grad schools are not particularly interested in honor societies that you have paid to join. Honor societies are more beneficial if the chapters are active.
Jack21222
I'm starting to get junk mail from honor societies asking me for money to join their ranks. I'm really not interested, and half of them sound like scams (well, at least one in particular does, the rest look legit).

Do grad schools care what honor societies you've paid to join? Or can they just look at my GPA and assume I could have joined honor societies if I was dumb enough to give them money?

Physics news on Phys.org
The only ones that appear to matter would be Phi Beta Kappa (all subjects honor society) and Sigma Xi (scientific honor society, usually have to do research to get in). And even those, not very much, although they do offer scholarships and in some cases conferences.

I've always viewed honors societies as a way to get a line on your CV without actually doing anything. They might impress the liberal arts professor whose business it is to flaunt his self-importance, but generally people of worth will see through it. Feynman has a nice interview on the subject..

eri said:
The only ones that appear to matter would be Phi Beta Kappa (all subjects honor society) and Sigma Xi (scientific honor society, usually have to do research to get in). And even those, not very much, although they do offer scholarships and in some cases conferences.
Is that based on experience? I was actually wondering about Sigma Xi membership a while ago. My own impression is that it isn't really worth the annual membership fee.

In general, paying just for the "privilege" of being able to claim you're a member of some group doesn't seem particularly worthwhile to me.

if you get invited to join you could always just write "invited to XXX" on your CV if you think it matters (for grad school it absolutely will not matter).
you get the same benefits but without the ridiculous fee.

Depending on your school's chapter these societies can actually be beneficial, not necessarily for grad school apps or anything but just in general. If your school's chapter is very active they may host various seminars, skill building workshops, do outreach programs, the engineering honor society at my university took field trips to various manufacturing plants in the area. But if the students are not active then it is pretty much useless.

Sounds like they're pretty much useless and I won't bother. I'll save my money, thanks.

Related to Do grad schools care about honor society memberships?

1. Do grad schools really care about honor society memberships?

It depends on the specific graduate program and the individual admissions committee. Some graduate schools may consider honor society memberships as a positive factor in an applicant's profile, while others may not place as much emphasis on them. Ultimately, it is just one aspect of your application and should not be the sole determining factor.

2. Will being a member of an honor society increase my chances of getting into grad school?

Again, it depends on the graduate program and their specific admissions criteria. While honor society memberships may be viewed positively, they will not significantly impact your chances of admission if you do not have a strong overall application. Your academic performance, research experience, and letters of recommendation will likely have a greater influence on your chances of being accepted.

3. Are all honor societies viewed equally by grad schools?

No, not all honor societies hold the same level of prestige or recognition. Some may have more stringent membership requirements or be more selective in their invitations, which may make them more impressive to grad schools. It is essential to research the specific honor society and its reputation within your field of study.

4. Should I join an honor society solely to boost my grad school application?

No, you should not join an honor society solely for the purpose of enhancing your grad school application. Honor societies are meant to recognize and promote academic excellence and personal growth, and your involvement should be genuine. Admissions committees can usually tell if an applicant's involvement in an honor society is genuine or just for show.

5. Can being a member of an honor society make up for a low GPA in my grad school application?

While being a member of an honor society is certainly a positive aspect of your application, it will not make up for a significantly low GPA. Admissions committees will still consider your academic performance as a crucial factor in their decision. However, if you have a lower GPA but have demonstrated exceptional academic achievements through your honor society involvement, it may help to offset it to some degree.