Are Baccalaureate Honors worth pursuing in my situation?

• Physics
  • Thread starter TJGilb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Honors
In summary, the person is graduating with a bachelors in physics but is a few credits shy of the requirement for Magna Cum Laude. They are considering taking an additional course to meet the requirement, but it would be costly. They are wondering if it is worth it for future job opportunities, as they have already been accepted into a PhD program. The summary advises that in most cases, employers will care more about the PhD work and the decision should be based on the value of the additional course.
TJGilb
Hello everybody.

I'm graduating with my bachelors in physics in a few weeks. My conundrum is that while I meet the GPA requirements for Magna Cum Laude, I am a few credits shy of the 90 matriculated requirement. If I were to extend my graduation date to the summer, I could take one additional class and meet this requirement, graduating with honors. However this would cost over 1700 dollars for just that one course. Since I've already been accepted into a graduate Ph.D. program, is it worth it for me to pursue this? Will employers, either university or industry or government, care five or six years down the road after I've earned my Ph.D. whether this is on my CV, or will what I did during the course of my graduate work far outweigh my bachelor studies to such a degree that it simply isn't worth it? I can make it work financially, but it'll hurt.

I'd appreciate any input into this problem. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the vast majority of cases people (i.e. potential employers) are going to care a lot more about your PhD work than any asterisk on your bachelor's degree. While I wouldn't completely write such a distinction off, I doubt it would be worth the $1700 and the extra time and effort. I would base the decision primarily on whether or not you feel that extra course is going to be of enough value to you to warrant the expense and effort in its own right.

Likes Dr. Courtney

Related to Are Baccalaureate Honors worth pursuing in my situation?

1. What are Baccalaureate Honors and how do they benefit me?

Baccalaureate Honors are academic distinctions awarded to students who have achieved high levels of academic success throughout their undergraduate studies. These honors can include Latin honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, cum laude), departmental honors, or honors in a specific field of study. They can benefit you by enhancing your resume, demonstrating your dedication and hard work, and potentially opening up opportunities for graduate school or employment.

2. How do I qualify for Baccalaureate Honors?

The specific qualifications for Baccalaureate Honors vary by institution, but generally, they are based on your overall GPA and the completion of specific honors courses or a thesis. You may also need to meet certain requirements, such as completing a certain number of credit hours or maintaining a certain GPA in your major. It is important to check with your institution for their specific requirements.

3. What is the difference between Latin honors and departmental honors?

Latin honors are overall academic distinctions based on your cumulative GPA. Departmental honors, on the other hand, are awarded by specific departments and typically require completion of additional coursework or a thesis in your major. Both types of honors can be valuable and demonstrate different areas of academic excellence.

4. Will pursuing Baccalaureate Honors be too much of a workload?

Pursuing Baccalaureate Honors may require additional coursework or a thesis, which can add to your workload. However, the benefits of achieving these honors may outweigh the extra workload. It is important to carefully consider your course load and make a plan early on to ensure you can successfully complete the requirements for honors.

5. Do Baccalaureate Honors really matter to employers or graduate schools?

Baccalaureate Honors can demonstrate your academic excellence and dedication, which can be attractive to both employers and graduate schools. However, it is important to keep in mind that these honors are just one aspect of your overall academic profile and may not be the sole determining factor for acceptance or employment. It is still important to have a well-rounded resume and strong letters of recommendation.